Sous Vide Explained for the Masses Thanks to KenInk and Ink Bird. A review...

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Not sure about the rest of the BBQing folks here but Sous Vide has always been a mystery to me.

KenInk with Ink Bird recently contacted me and asked if I would do a review on their Sous Vide unit. I responded that I was vaguely familiar with the term but had been wanting to give it a go.

Disclaimer: I have tested Ink Bird Products previously but am not affiliated with the company. I will always give an honest review. KenInk said that is what they wanted.

Being a retired Temp control (HVAC) guy I was interested. He sent me a InkBird Smart Sous Vide.

I had some homework to do.

1. Sous (Under) Vide (Vacuum). It's French.

2. It is basically a unit that heats water to an exact temp with a circulating pump to keep the water temp constant for the duration of the cook.
3. Precise temp control and time.
4. They are Smart now with Wi-Fi to phone etc.

I literally did 8-10 hours of YouTube and other research to learn about these rigs.

The unit:

hgJC2VO.jpg

GkoWIEm.jpg

The app that comes with it is Great! I did a test run and all 5 temp probes agreed.

bWnaOt2.jpg

9mbkMl8.png

Time for the test. As stated earlier Company came over. Here are the cook pic with some descriptions:

Today was my 1st attempt. What better way than to try it out on Company in from Tulsa? :becky:

I did go all in and purchased the Sous Vide container and rack set:

Picked up some prime from the Fancy Kroger!

V7XwyJd.jpg

qILb5vc.jpg

AgwBTxP.jpg

Double vac packed the night before.

Here is the fun part of this Sous Vide gig. These steaks were over 2" thick each. My plan was to do them till 129*F in the Sous Vide then on the grill for sear. Company said they like 140*F steaks. My first cook on Sous Vide so we settled on 137*F.

No rest needed with Sous Vide BTW.

Here is the unit at work. Countdown timer on you phone with app alarm when time is elapsed.

Steaks in:

c5KdNCE.jpg

1xIR6q6.jpg

Steaks out:

xnz3snm.jpg

They looks like boiled ribs coming out of Vac Pac but Wait!

Bxz04EY.jpg

Sear time on a screaming hot gasser! Many other way to finish sear. Important thing is to get a crust on the meat.

br5UDJy.jpg

dX1tSrb.jpg

Got the "like Budda" and "melts in your mouth" "fork tender" comments etc. Still working on the sear part.

Feeling good about the first try. Looking forward to Sous Vide.

Thank you KenInk for the introduction.

This unit in my research has a 1000 watt element. I've not seen another brand close. The Wi-Fi is 2.4 Ghz.

j4yy0YP.jpg

Can't wait to try it again.

Last edited:
I built my own using this method here. I had a crockpot my ex-wife was kind enough to leave me with and the digital temp controller I picked up on eBay for $11. I just set the crockpot on high and based on temp from the probe the digital temp controller will turn the 110 outlet on/off as needed.

I built my own using this method here. I had a crockpot my ex-wife was kind enough to leave me with and the digital temp controller I picked up on eBay for $11. I just set the crockpot on high and based on temp from the probe the digital temp controller will turn the 110 outlet on/off as needed.

Ain't even close to the same thing but novel.

Think the 1 I bought has 1200w, have done chicken 1 time and steaks a couple times trying to see if it tenderized , not sure that it has helped but hasn't made it worse lol, more testing is needed but time has been short since I got mine.

for the sear it helps to dry off the meat. removing surface moisture gets a better crust. I season after the sous vide portion of the cook.

sous vide is good for reheating leftover bbq. I also use mine to to make cannabutter, way easier than the traditional method.

Still working on the sear part.

Three Best Ways To Sear:

1. On rack directly over a vortex
2. On rack directly over charcoal chimney
3. Super hot cast iron - should be smoking a bit before putting it on.
make certain to dry the meat well with paper towels before searing.

Also, where did you get the metal rack? I want one.

I was a pretty early adopter on Sous Vide using Anova's original circulator and have had a lot of fun doing different things. For steak I like to cook at about 130 or slightly under for med rare, for the sear I almost exclusively use a cast iron skillet on a 20,000 btu propane burner outside, with about a half a stick of butter. That gets me that wonderful brown mallard reaction over the whole piece of meat, it only takes a minute a side.

Sous vide also shines for doing thick cut pork chops, normally a very thick pork chop can be hard to cook through without drying it out, I'm sure it would work as well for a whole pork loin.

I also like it for acomplishing some novel things that you can't do by any other method. Try doing beef short ribs at around 132-135 for 72 hours. I don't know of any other way you can produce fork tender short ribs at a Medium rare temp.
file.php

You can also do a chuck roast at around 135 for 36-48 hours, sear it, then slice it and pretend it's prime rib. It will be tender, medium rare and delicious.

Edited to add: For my sous vide cooking container I took a small igloo ice chest and cut a notch in the lid for the circulator to fit through. my feeling is that with less heat transfer the unit doesn't have to work as hard to maintain temps.

Last edited:
I've had a Anova unit for a couple years now. I use it for eggs and fish and it they turn out great texture wise. Almost not worth the time and hassle IMO.

I've found I prefer the flavor of a good reverse seared ribeye over a grill than the flavor of one prepared sous vide and seared. To each their own.

Users claim it's definitely worth using for those low grade beef cuts.

Ain't even close to the same thing but novel.

Can you please elaborate, how does the end result differ? Sous Vide, as I understand, is the practice of cooking vacuum sealed food in a controlled temp water bath? I think water temp at 140 vs water temp at 140 will produce the same results, the way you go about heating the water won't make a difference?

Can you please elaborate, how does the end result differ? Sous Vide, as I understand, is the practice of cooking vacuum sealed food in a controlled temp water bath? I think water temp at 140 vs water temp at 140 will produce the same results, the way you go about heating the water won't make a difference?

The dedicate sous vide cookers are generally known as "immersion circulators" because they perform a vital function that the crock pot method can't - they constantly circulate the water. This helps prevent hot and cold spots in the water, especially when the meat is close to a heat source - like the bottom of a crock pot.

I've done the crock pot method and I can vouch that it certainly functions. Using an immersion circulator like the Ink Bird, Anova, Joul, etc. will give you a more consistent result.

Source: https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/37725/sous-vide-what-does-circulation-accomplish

The dedicate sous vide cookers are generally known as "immersion circulators" because they perform a vital function that the crock pot method can't - they constantly circulate the water. This helps prevent hot and cold spots in the water, especially when the meat is close to a heat source - like the bottom of a crock pot.

Hey thanks for the info, that definitely makes sense. Especially if you are trying to maintain consistent water temp in a large basin.

Very nice Mike Like my sous vide I use grill grates on my gasser and turn them upside down gave a great sear to a filet- Kay said it was the best steak she ever had

The absolute BEST 3 inch pork chop I've ever eaten was at a restaurant in Austin TX that was cooked sous vide and then grilled for a great crust. Perfectly cooked through and through, tender and tasty!
That being said, it's now 3 years later and I still don't find a need to own one. I think about it but.....

I have Anova original Sous Vide that I paid like $220 back in December 2013. I use it mainly to reheat BBQ. I don't use it often for steaks because I prefer reverse sear on the grill over sous vide. I don't like the boiled meat consistency/texture from sous vide steaks.

Now, sous vide devices are so cheap, everyone should have one in the kitchen if just for reheating BBQ. You can buy cheap ones for like $40 brand new on Amazon.

Definitely a Sous Vide fan here, great review and I am sure for all those on the fence will be a big help.

Three Best Ways To Sear:

1. On rack directly over a vortex
2. On rack directly over charcoal chimney
3. Super hot cast iron - should be smoking a bit before putting it on.
make certain to dry the meat well with paper towels before searing.

Also, where did you get the metal rack? I want one.

From Amazon. Ordered the racks with sous vide container at once. The manufacture is Vaeske.

I was a pretty early adopter on Sous Vide using Anova's original circulator and have had a lot of fun doing different things. For steak I like to cook at about 130 or slightly under for med rare, for the sear I almost exclusively use a cast iron skillet on a 20,000 btu propane burner outside, with about a half a stick of butter. That gets me that wonderful brown mallard reaction over the whole piece of meat, it only takes a minute a side.

Sous vide also shines for doing thick cut pork chops, normally a very thick pork chop can be hard to cook through without drying it out, I'm sure it would work as well for a whole pork loin.

I also like it for acomplishing some novel things that you can't do by any other method. Try doing beef short ribs at around 132-135 for 72 hours. I don't know of any other way you can produce fork tender short ribs at a Medium rare temp.
file.php

You can also do a chuck roast at around 135 for 36-48 hours, sear it, then slice it and pretend it's prime rib. It will be tender, medium rare and delicious.

Edited to add: For my sous vide cooking container I took a small igloo ice chest and cut a notch in the lid for the circulator to fit through. my feeling is that with less heat transfer the unit doesn't have to work as hard to maintain temps.

Going to try that chuck roast cook tomorrow! Thanks for the idea.

Back