Sous Vide Explained for the Masses Thanks to KenInk and Ink Bird. A review...

Real interested in sous vide bacon, never thought of that

Ninja, I did not do very well with the bacon. The recipe called for pan sear to finish. Well I had gone out and bought a 500,000 BTU weed burner from Harbor Freight. That rig can burn @ 3000*F. It was right out of the box and I did not do a proper burn off before putting it to food. Could have been machining residue mass manufacture.

The Wife was supposed to take pictures but she freaked out and left when I kicked in the afterburnner on this rig so not many pic's. It does sound like an F-16 leaving hot on takeoff.

The bacon looked really pale coming out. We used cheap bacon.

bqZSVtP.jpg

Might have been overkill for thin bacon. Still want to try it on steak next week.

CtfpyEk.jpg

Finished product not my best but only my 2nd Sous Vide attempt. The actual unit performed flawlessly. Held 147* perfectly for 24 hours.

Ld3sWVF.jpg

It seems that there is more to a proper sear than meets the eye. Depending on the meat. Reminds me of when I learned that there is more to good smoked BBQ than meets the eye from this forum.

Taste? Passable but when your raised on pan fried it was not close.

If you do it Ninja, Please post some pics and let me know.

Looks like an awful lot of trouble for a pound of bacon.

Yup!

I am not sold on this SV thing yet. I have only done a handful of cooks, but in my limited experience, in the end, it has required more work then cooking in a more traditional way, with about equal results. So far for me, not worth it.

Try sous vide chicken breast. You can cook it something like 144 F for an hour and still be safe with sous vide. The texture is slightly different at that low temperature and the breast will be really juicy.

And poached eggs are really popular sous vide item. Since you can control the temp so well with sous vide, you can get perfect poached eggs every time.

This looks like a nice rig.

Is the clamp removable? I use a modified cooler for my SV bath and it doesn't look like this would work with that clamp. It also doesn't look like it's removable.

This looks like a nice rig.

Is the clamp removable? I use a modified cooler for my SV bath and it doesn't look like this would work with that clamp. It also doesn't look like it's removable.

No, it is not removable without tools. One friend modified a plastic container.

Back