BBQ island build! Built-in grill around $3000

Bread_Belly

Found some matches.
Reaction score
New BBQ island = New Grill! Artisan, AOG, Summerset or _____

We are starting on a new back yard landscape/hardscape project and will be adding a bbq island. After 8 years with a trusty Weber Genesis E330, I need to choose a new built-in grill. I already have a pellet smoker. I’d like to spend between $2000-$3500 on the grill, something in the 36-40 inch range. I dont particularly need the rotisserie, but interior grill lights would be nice. It’s hard to find reviews that aren’t total shills.

I’m looking for something solid, with even cooking, ability to get pretty darn hot, and has some longevity (we get some marine layer and salt in the air). The top 3 that have caught my eye are:

Artisan by Alfresco 36” w/ grill lights and rotisserie $3106. $2494 w/o grill lights and rotisserie.
https://www.bbqguys.com/artisan/pro...-propane-gas-grill-with-rotisserie-artp-36-lp

AOG - I like buying Made in America, but Im not sure how I feel about the metal flame diffuser the briquettes. Not real clear on the difference of T series vs L series except the lit knobs and interior lights. $2843 for the L series, $400 less for T series.
https://www.bbqguys.com/aog/america...-burner-built-in-natural-gas-grill-36nbl-00sp

Summerset TRL 38”. Seems really solid, but made in China. $3102.
https://www.bbqguys.com/summerset/t...in-natural-gas-grill-with-rotisserie-trl38-ng

I also need a side burner (preferably dual) that can do more than simmer.

Let me know if y’all can recommend or poo poo any of those!

I have no experience with high end built in grills but the Artisan by Alfresco looks pretty nice.

No experience either but I hear Napoleon mentioned a bunch when talking of built-ins.

I would have to have a charcoal grill of some sort to go with the gasser. Man does not live on gas and pellet alone. :p

Dude, a lot of my cooking is done in a trash barrel..so there's that!!
Ed

Ha! No argument here. If I had it my way we’d be building a simple Santa Maria grill but the wife has veto power around here, and a well built reliable gasser is what we’ll be doing this time.

No way I'd spend that kind of a money for a gasser.

These Turbo gassers are expensive enough, I've owned 2) BBQ Galore Turbo models. First one bought in 1998 and replaced it with the newer version in 2017.

https://www.bbqgalore.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=turbo

Thanks, I’ll look into Turbo! I may have read somewhere that Summerset built or builds Turbo? Can’t believe most of what you read on the internet though..

No experience either but I hear Napoleon mentioned a bunch when talking of built-ins.

I would have to have a charcoal grill of some sort to go with the gasser. Man does not live on gas and pellet alone. :p

I was leaning Napoleon initially, but on two separate occasions at brick and mortar stores the reps advised that they aren’t the best for those who live near the coast. Seems to handle the other elements just fine though. I know it’s a gimmick, but I did like how the knobs turn red when on. Other knob lights have almost zero value for me.

A BGE or Kamado on wheels will be added to the garage arsenal soon!

Lynx or fire magic for higher end gassers. I had a Lynx years ago and there is a large difference between those and any weber gasser. Might be above your price range now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am planning my outdoor kitchen and will be doing a memphis built in pellet since it can sear i know you said already had one but you can do that. Also you can get a side burner separately and run off a LP tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynx or fire magic for higher end gassers. I had a Lynx years ago and there is a large difference between those and any weber gasser. Might be above your price range now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Lynx makes a really nice grill (FIL has had one for probably 15 years, great grill), but they’re a little outside my price range. Fire Magic’s “affordable” line is AOG, which I like and is in the top 3.

Pay no attention to the haters…

Buuuut since you asked? I have no use for a gasser…

Get a high end pellet grill that can be built in! All the convinces of a gasser but 100x the flavor!

Video killed the radio star and pellet killed the gasser…

A gasser should always be part of a griller's arsenal IMO.
Not necessarily the primary cooker, but a man can never have enough forms of fire.
If nothing else, a gasser can be used as well regulated food warmer.

New BBQ island = New Grill! Artisan, AOG, Summerset or _____

We are starting on a new back yard landscape/hardscape project and will be adding a bbq island. After 8 years with a trusty Weber Genesis E330, I need to choose a new built-in grill. I already have a pellet smoker. I’d like to spend between $2000-$3500 on the grill, something in the 36-40 inch range. I dont particularly need the rotisserie, but interior grill lights would be nice. It’s hard to find reviews that aren’t total shills.

I’m looking for something solid, with even cooking, ability to get pretty darn hot, and has some longevity (we get some marine layer and salt in the air). The top 3 that have caught my eye are:

Artisan by Alfresco 36” w/ grill lights and rotisserie $3106. $2494 w/o grill lights and rotisserie.
https://www.bbqguys.com/artisan/pro...-propane-gas-grill-with-rotisserie-artp-36-lp

AOG - I like buying Made in America, but Im not sure how I feel about the metal flame diffuser the briquettes. Not real clear on the difference of T series vs L series except the lit knobs and interior lights. $2843 for the L series, $400 less for T series.
https://www.bbqguys.com/aog/america...-burner-built-in-natural-gas-grill-36nbl-00sp

Summerset TRL 38”. Seems really solid, but made in China. $3102.
https://www.bbqguys.com/summerset/t...in-natural-gas-grill-with-rotisserie-trl38-ng

I also need a side burner (preferably dual) that can do more than simmer.

Let me know if y’all can recommend or poo poo any of those!

so I cant speak to any of these as i havent owned them but i can tell you that i have had a couple of built in gassers and i would say the ones with the ceramic bricks are better for a couple of reasons.

there heat is even and you have some thermal mass when you open and close. The biggie for me is the drippings hit the ceramic and sort of vaporize, on my current grill without the ceramic everything cakes up at the bottom. If i dont do a legit scrape down and cleaning every other cook i get grease fires and flare ups. I have ruined a few tritips and a bunch of chicken due to this.

Also the rotisserie is something that you either use a lot or dont at all. I love mine for doing turkey, but i also found a basket that will attach to the rotisserie for chicken wings. its an awesome way to cook wings. But if you dont need it why buy it.

so I cant speak to any of these as i havent owned them but i can tell you that i have had a couple of built in gassers and i would say the ones with the ceramic bricks are better for a couple of reasons.

there heat is even and you have some thermal mass when you open and close. The biggie for me is the drippings hit the ceramic and sort of vaporize, on my current grill without the ceramic everything cakes up at the bottom. If i dont do a legit scrape down and cleaning every other cook i get grease fires and flare ups. I have ruined a few tritips and a bunch of chicken due to this.

Also the rotisserie is something that you either use a lot or dont at all. I love mine for doing turkey, but i also found a basket that will attach to the rotisserie for chicken wings. its an awesome way to cook wings. But if you dont need it why buy it.

My NG gasser has the ceramic briquettes, I also bought Grill Grates which I use 100% of the time when I use my gasser, they greatly reduce and almost totally eliminate any fat flare ups.

My NG gasser has the ceramic briquettes, I also bought Grill Grates which I use 100% of the time when I use my gasser, they greatly reduce and almost totally eliminate any fat flare ups.

Confirmed my suspicions, thanks! I have to believe that a single sheet of perforated metal is much less costly to produce than the briquette trays. That said, I was surprised to see a top end Fire Magic with a metal flame diffuser *shrug*

Just to close the loop here - went with the Artisan 36”. Looking forward to sharing some cooks once it’s in!

Nice! Best wishes for many years of grilling! Just for future "searchers", I bought a 36" built-in Lynx ~5 years ago. ~$6K at the time and, though it will last a lifetime, there are expensive things that need to be replaced occasionally (sear burner replacement ~$500, parts only, ouch!).

Do spring for the cover. I'm always amazed that people spend money on a good grill and then leave it out in the elements. The Lynx cover was $200 but, five years later it still looks great and protects my grill.

Back