Yoder wichita firebox grate too high?

eurekasmoker

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi folks

Just got a used wichita and in the process of cleaning it. I noticed that the firebox charcoal grate is a bit high and wanted to ask if it should be lower or leave it as is? If it should be lower how can i cut it?

B9GbRJ0.jpg

I'd try it first and find out.
There is a lengthy thread somewhere here detailing how ta get a Yoder ta run correctly....

-D

Yours does appear to be a bit higher than the pics shown here :https://www.gentrysbbq.com/products/yoder-smokers-loaded-wichita

In the two pics that show it with the door open, it looks like it is about as high as the bottom of the door seal/stop metal. Your fire grate looks closer to the meat grate holders also.

Maybe someone on here with a Wichita can measure for you to be sure because pics can be deceiving.

The cheapest way to cut your piece of expanded metal shorter if needed is to buy a cheap 4 1/2" grinder that comes with both cut-off discs and grinding wheels.

Make sure you leave enough room underneath for air flow and ash pile. I bought this one for some work on my smoker and it was fine for $35:

https://www.amazon.com/Grinder-7-5-Amp-Grinding-Cutting-Auxiliary/dp/B0972M5J77/ref=sr_1_25?crid=1GBAIZU04KIX3&keywords=4%22%2Bgrinder&qid=1652902918&sprefix=4%2Bgrinder%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-25&th=1

Or....if you know someone who has a grinder or acetylene torch, buy them a 12 pack and mark your grate where you want it cut. :-D

Use it and see how it works.

Ignore all keyboard bbq wizards.
Trial and error "is the only way" to learn a "new to you" pit, because nobody has the same fuel or ambient conditions you have.

It's to high. Want take much to lower it. I purchased a stainless charcol basket off of e-bay for my Yoeder off set. Fits and works very well. Just a thought.

Seems high but where is the grate height relative to the air intake on the door? The grate shouldn’t block any of the air inlet.

Take it out, things will run just as good without any grate

Back