MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
MountainMan
Full Fledged Farker

Default DC to Boco Raton road trip

Looks like I'll soon be making that trip.

What are the not to miss sites and places to see or eat along the way?

Any help is appreciated!
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #2
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

One place TO miss is Atlanta.Drive out of your way to avoid it.I have been to Charleston and Savannah,loved them both.As far as places to eat along the way,I have no idea.Google is your friend.I went to San Antonio a few years back.Loved it.Got back home and all I saw on cooking shows that I watch was wonderful places to eat that we missed.I should have researched more before the trip.We just hung out around the Riverwalk.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

I can help once you get to Boca, just don't expect any great Q.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

If you go through Tampa stop by Dr. BBQ’S Restaurant!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:12 PM   #5
DKray
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : David

Stephenson’s bbq outside Raleigh is a few miles off I-95 and worth a stop if you like traditional NC style pulled pork. Call ahead if you want fried chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DKray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I'm sure you'll be heading straight down 95. The one place I never miss on that road is Q BBQ just north of Richmond. It's Tuffy Stone's place (if that means anything to you). Everything is good, but I especially like the ribs. Pineapple hot dish: people either love it or hate it.

The Glen Allen location is two minutes off the freeway and I usually hit them for lunch on the way down:
https://qbarbeque.com/
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #7
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I'm sure you'll be heading straight down 95. The one place I never miss on that road is Q BBQ just north of Richmond. It's Tuffy Stone's place (if that means anything to you). Everything is good, but I especially like the ribs. Pineapple hot dish: people either love it or hate it.

The Glen Allen location is two minutes off the freeway and I usually hit them for lunch on the way down:
https://qbarbeque.com/
Tuffy sold Q. I ate there Friday, not what it used to be :(
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 11:04 PM   #8
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Tuffy sold Q. I ate there Friday, not what it used to be :(
Their food has changed, but I would argue it is still good. I much preferred the pulled beef to the sliced brisket and burnt ends they now serve. I've even told them as much, but the response I received is they are selling many times more now than what they did previously and aren't going back. The ribs are cooked slightly differently, but they are still great. They are just different. I was there just two weeks ago and my family definitely enjoyed it more now than they did previously. I preferred their older versions, but it is only preference. I will say they are more crowded now than they were a few years back.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:29 PM   #9
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Their food has changed, but I would argue it is still good. I much preferred the pulled beef to the sliced brisket and burnt ends they now serve. I've even told them as much, but the response I received is they are selling many times more now than what they did previously and aren't going back. The ribs are cooked slightly differently, but they are still great. They are just different. I was there just two weeks ago and my family definitely enjoyed it more now than they did previously. I preferred their older versions, but it is only preference. I will say they are more crowded now than they were a few years back.
Yeah, I miss the chopped brisket. That changed when Tuffy still had it. I had the ribs last visit and they were dry as toast. I'm headed to Richmond tomorrow, maybe I'll stop in and give em another shot.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote