MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #16
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokestack88 View Post
Sid 250 gallon moberg painted on skids is 6 thousand don’t know how much raw . Waiting list is 16 months . Sunny is also releasing his backyard pit 24x50 for 4,000 in winter . Found a quote for shipping for 700 bucks from Texas to Cali hopefully that’s a good price . Also should I get counter weights on a 250?
$6K with paint on skids seems about right. Good to know his build schedule is getting caught up.

Regarding a counterweight, I certainly would whether a single door or double. You may be young and healthy today but, a shoulder or arm injury, or simply age, will make you appreciate a lighter door to lift. In addition to capacity, why do you think 'square-back' pipe smoker cabinet doors are so popular?

Old 09-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #17
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

not to hijack but for anyone that's had the chance to cook on a moberg, smokeworks or mill scale. How even was the temps from end to end?
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #18
Smokestack88
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Daniel

Blackdogbbq21 the moberg runs pretty even here is a little clip on Instagram of a moberg 250 gallon

https://www.instagram.com/p/B25FYRugQii/?hl=en
Smokestack88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #19
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

I've listened to some interviews with John Lewis where he claims Moberg got some stuff wrong when he supposedly copied that design from the Austin Smoke Works pits. I can't imagine what that might mean.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #20
jdtTX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
I've listened to some interviews with John Lewis where he claims Moberg got some stuff wrong when he supposedly copied that design from the Austin Smoke Works pits. I can't imagine what that might mean.
He called him out on Instagram a while back, then deleted it. Called Moberg a failed pipe fence welder or something that stole his design.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #21
Pbandcra
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : DC

Funny post here and I have some strong input because my younger brother showed me this post a month or so ago just after we had purchased a pit from this same outfit you mention. So, I made a account for myself, not to blemish his reputation on this forum as member of the BBQ community. However, I decided against responding and let it go, until tonight.

We saw a similar attack on Instagram over the weekend by Texas pit builder Mill Scale on JD's (owner of Workhorse Pits ) Primitive Pits account. He brought Moberg into the classless drama and they both seemingly attacked Primitive Pits. No, the attack was not about "Ebay welders" or tack welds, but it bothered me to my core and I decided it was time to respond to this post.

I, sir am a master welder. I have mastered every type of welding process and position there is and at the highest certified level. I was trained in the Navy and welded 10 years on vessels that float and fly. I've spent almost 10 years as a civilian welding for a major airline. I am one of a handful of humans welding on airplanes in the repair status. I count my hood time by years, not hours. My welds come under scrutiny and are X-rayed weekly.

You have attacked a weld you have no proof is actually a tack weld, even though I can see where you take the puddling and assume tacks. However, not sure if you thought through ANY logic as to how long it takes to weld one piece of trim with tacks, but you still went there with no hesitation. You did however pile on a bunch of assumptions including the Ebay welders, novice fabricators and essentially you must be one of the guys from Moberg or Mill Scale. You seem to be really loyal.

My brother and I began shopping for a pit two years ago to add to our growing catering operation. We thought about building a pit, but I was not able to dedicate the time and we both felt there was some tricky science that went beyond fabrication.

He did most of the legwork, as his job allows time for such. He searched and found some reputable builders. He got pricing and lead times. He also looked at who the builder built pits for. We chose Primitive Pits (same owner as Workhorse) for three reasons. 1. Referral from a very popular Austin, Tx BBQ joint who owns both Moberg and Primitive. 2. Price (45% LESS than Mill Scale and Moberg) 3. my brother was impressed with the BBQ knowledge and the dedication to start up BBQ joints after talking to the owner on the phone.

This past summer we went to pick up our pit together. We visited the shop the day the pit was ready and just a week before Workhorse launched. We got a grand tour from the lady (Ashly) who runs the office. We saw a few guys working on pits at Primitive's (using Miller machines by the way) and then went next door to Workhorse where we saw another six to eight guys working (using Miller machines by the way).

The owner (JD) was at Workhorse and we were able to have a visit and ask some questions. I asked him about the build of our pit and then he toured us around the Workhorse shop and showed us these EXACT welds you described as tacks.

I personally lifted the door and inspected. The penetration was textbook on both the door and the end caps. We even met one of the fabricators responsible for the weld. He was laying a tight bead down on a piece for a fire pit. Again, textbook. So textbook, I took a photo of it. Nothing at all like the trim. We talked 20 minutes and he said they had worked hard at giving the smoker a nice character and still provide penetration.

We watched for another 30 minutes and then hooked up our pit and left. Our pit cooks outstanding. Best move we've made so far and in the end, that is what we continually hear about the pits coming from Primitive. They cook outstanding.

Funny how the perspective of someone behind a keyboard who knows so much about welding would be able to see the penetration of a weld. It is also interesting to me the effort you went through with photos showing the face of these welds, but not the backside penetration.

You sir, are probably responsible for Workhorse losing one or more customers over such uneducated assumption. Shame on you! Last, years of skill on display at Mill Scale?? Moberg, yes. Mill Scale, no welds available on IG. Not sure how you get this view of their welds but we cannot?

However, I would bet Workhorse has 120 years of skill on display. I'd seriously encourage you to go visit before spreading such BS. You'd see those guys aren't what you have painted them to be in your poor attempt to discredit them. If by chance you are their jealous competitor, shame on you for the trash comment on Saturday. We that saw it, see jealous bullies, not BBQ pit builders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
My opinion...

Workhorse Pits "tack-tac-tack" welds. Not acceptable at all in any way, shape or form. I never in my life seen any pit builder resort to this. You can see each weld theres a "blob" with a dimple in the middle. That's because it's not a weld bead, just a bunch of overlaying tacks. They just strung together a bunch of temporary tacks in a line in attempt to make it look pretty. There's not going to be any proper fusion at all. This is what you do when you first buy a welder off Ebay and keep blowing holes in everything because you don't know what you're doing, but want the "stack of dimes" look. You will resort to doing this "tack tack tack" method. In the bottom picture it's an outside corner joint, and the tacks don't even fill up the bevel. I'm totally stunned to see a "pit builder" doing this in a commercial setting. The "tack tack tack" is what you do on body panel sheet metal. Not 3/8ths thick steel.

The entire pits are done using this horrible "tack" method. You can see each weld blob has a dimple in it.

Here's a Moberg. That's a proper weld and solid bead. No dimples. That will hold up to any test and last a million years.

Here's a Millscale Metal Works weld. This is years of skill on full display. Pure art. This is what the Workhorse guy is trying to emulate, but he can't do it because he can't weld. So he does the "tack-tack-tack" method to get close as possible and it just results in blob mess all over the smoker.

Pbandcra is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #22
Pbandcra

According to Terry Blacks in Austin, Primitive Pits finished briskets three hours before Moberg's or (Austin Smoke Works) design head to head over multiple weeks. They also said they didn't have to rotate briskets. That is how we made our decision. Call Mike and ask for yourself. These forums won't get you the info. Ask someone who owns both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdogbbq21 View Post
not to hijack but for anyone that's had the chance to cook on a moberg, smokeworks or mill scale. How even was the temps from end to end?

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 AM   #23
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

I saw that same instagram post and could not believe how petty, and just plain wrong, mill scale and moberg were for hijacking that comment section. Makes my decision on a backyard smoker a lot easier. Cost had me already leaning towards workhorse but that settled it.

Scumbag move for millscale to start that and slightly less scumbag move for Sunny to play into it. Very unprofessional. JD has annoyed me in the past with the way he rolls out information, so I’m no fanboy or anything, but he showed true class responding in that thread. Love that Brendan and even the terry blacks account came to his defense too.

Old 11-18-2019, 09:07 AM   #24
holdenf92
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Holden

Having cooked on a lot of smokers myself and worked at a couple of very well known bbq places in Texas I'm going to throw my two cents in here, but please don't crucify me because this is just one guy's opinion. All of these pit builders are generally good dudes and build exceptional pits. What it really comes down to is how are you using the pit, what do you want it to do for you, and how much are you willing to spend? This may be an unpopular opinion here, but as much as I like all of those pits (and would love to own them), the bulk of those companies really have designed their pits for the commercial space (except workhorse obviously). To me, it's insanity to think of spending that much money on a smaller backyard pit that you really won't even be using a good third of the grate space on. It will of course be a great pit and cook well, but the question is how often do you cook in the backyard and is the performance difference in a pit like that going to be that big compared with something else in the backyard pit space for the money? You're talking about 2-3 times the price for something that might not make your backyard brisket 2 to 3 times better than a comparable lonestargrillz pit would. I think a lot of people are buying these backyard pits from the big builders just to make themselves feel like "real" pitmasters because now they have the same type of pit as a restaurant. Cooking for a restaurant is such a different beast entirely. They really shouldn't even be thought of on the same level at all. I recommend people do what I did. Find you a local pit builder who is a decent welder and can build you a pit with the same basic design for a lot less. I had a guy in the Austin area build me a 150 gallon pit, same general design as the ones at the top places in the area, with a half inch thick firebox, for 1500 dollars. Yes, the welds aren't as refined as the big builders. No, it's not painted, and No it doesn't have a fancy name attached to it. But It cooks like a champ because I understand how to use it. That's really the most important thing. It's your money, do whatever you want with it. But Id suggest thinking about the pros and cons and alternatives before pulling the trigger. Tbh if I was going to buy a pit from those guys, even for backyard, the smallest I'd ever buy would be a 500.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
holdenf92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #25
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokestack88 View Post
Hey everyone Work horse pits just released there offset cookers and I am thinking about getting one one . Just wanted to know what you guys think . I will post a link to there website. Work horse pits is 24x 48 inch offset with 3/8 inch thick steel and 27 inch fire box. Jimmy Daniels from primitive pits owns work horse and there right next door to each other.
https://www.workhorsepits.com/product-page/1975-1

Or should I go with my dream pit the Moberg’s 250 gallon offset smoker everyone probably should know who sunny moberg is. Wondering if anyone if the forum owns a moberg?

This is stick burner is only going to be for the backyard cooking. Let me know what you guys think ?
Have you looked at FatStack smokers out of CA? Would save you a ton on freight with similar designs. https://fatstacksmokers.com/
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #26
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbandcra View Post
According to Terry Blacks in Austin, Primitive Pits finished briskets three hours before Moberg's or (Austin Smoke Works) design head to head over multiple weeks. They also said they didn't have to rotate briskets. That is how we made our decision. Call Mike and ask for yourself. These forums won't get you the info. Ask someone who owns both.

Terry Black's just bought a pile of Mobergs for the new Dallas location, FYI.

Last edited by Rockinar; 11-18-2019 at 06:29 PM..
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #27
Pbandcra

They told us they ordered those two years ago and Primitive was their new pit option. Call Mike and ask him. We did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Terry Black's just bought a pile of Mobergs for the new Dallas location, FYI.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #28
sthamm
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbandcra View Post
According to Terry Blacks in Austin, Primitive Pits finished briskets three hours before Moberg's or (Austin Smoke Works) design head to head over multiple weeks. They also said they didn't have to rotate briskets.
I wonder if the Workhorse pits are tested via fluid dynamics like the Primitive pits to ensure even convection? I had never heard of Primitive/Workhorse, but now I'm interested.
sthamm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #29
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post
I wonder if the Workhorse pits are tested via fluid dynamics like the Primitive pits to ensure even convection? I had never heard of Primitive/Workhorse, but now I'm interested.
STHAMM - If you ever make it up to the North side of town, there's a kid who used to work at LA Barbeque in Austin who came to North Texas last year and started selling his BBQ out of a Trailer in Ponder, now in the process of opening a brick & mortar restaurant in Roanoke, TX, Smiley's Craft BBQ. He has two 1,000 gallon Primitive Pits and is a brand ambassador.

https://www.facebook.com/SmileysBarbecue/
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-21-2019, 07:07 AM   #30
smoke_savage
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : smoke savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamm View Post

After listening to a few podcast inverviews with JD, I would say yes.

I'm sure he said they worked with a racing teams aerodynamic department, so the air flow through them is pretty amazing.

He mods a yoder witcha on one of his videos and the difference is amazing during a cookie test
smoke_savage is offline   Reply With Quote