MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:28 AM   #1
Aralle
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Aralle
Default Thermometer choice

Hi everyone!
Today is the day when I've decided to buy a meat thermometer. All the time I've used a digital meat thermometer from ThermoPro https://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermoPro-D.../dp/B07QR475CP. It worked well and, I think, displayed precise data. But I began to notice that sometimes he shows the wrong temperature. So I've decided to buy a new one. I know there are different types of thermometers, but now I'm interested in IR (infrared) thermometers. I've read some articles about them on popular (and not so) resources, and I've seen many good reviews. For example, there is Fluke 62 MAX Plus which has +-1% accuracy, and that sounds great (but this model is not so cheap).
My questions: Who is using them and can share thoughts/opinions about them? Is it worth it to buy or is it better to buy a digital meat thermometer again (maybe from another brand)?
Thanks in advance!
Aralle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2019, 03:59 AM   #2
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I really like my Flute digital volt meters. I've had two of mine for over 30 yrs and they still works. Excellent products. I lost my first one years ago. Then found it a couple years later after buying a new one. I found it out side, still hooked to my AC unit. From years prior when working on my HVAC. Thru at least 2 full Michigan winters/summers.Laying on the ground. New battery and good to go.
You can by a $15 IR if you want one to check surface temps. I don't think I'd spend any extra $$ for a IR. Since you are only able to check surface temps.
You would want a digital thermometer so you can check internal temps.
Either one with probes and/or instant read like Thermapen, inkbird etc.
Here is a review of Inkbird https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s....php?p=4225404
I have a thermapen and XR50. Both are very good products.
https://www.amazon.com/Adrenaline-Ba.../dp/B07FQR4328
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2019, 05:15 AM   #3
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

IMO a lazer therm is a waste of $ for BBQ, I have used 1 for years doing heat and air work, tried to use it doing refridge work and when a door is opened the temps change to fast to get a internal reading , I like the inkbird therms, have the 6x and the new rechargeable stick therm in orange tats water proof.

Old 12-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

IR surface temp won't help you much with a BBQ.

Try this: Thermoworks options

Old 12-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
IR surface temp won't help you much with a BBQ.

Agreed, but I do use mine for grilling with GrillGrates and for my Camp Chef Griddle regularly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
Also agreed

I use my Thermapen all of the time!

If you want to look at a lower cost option I have heard good things about the instant read thermometer from Inkbird, but I haven't used one. Inkbird is a Brethren Ventures Member and they regularly off discounts to the Brethren.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/f...play.php?f=140

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

If you can afford it, a Thermapen. I have 4 of them between home and my restaurant for years now. They get used all day, every day, in harsh conditions (dropped in a vat of 350 degree grease, rain, snow, dropped, left outside in -20 degrees, stepped on, etc.) and not one has stopped working yet.

A bit of an investment, but it's something you will probably still be using 20 years from now.

I also love the form factor of those things. One lives in my back pocket at work or goes on the road with me.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

Can't go wrong with Thermopen. Will last a lifetime, accurate and super quick read. Thermopop is good too if you want lower cost option. Takes a second or two longer to read than the thermopen.

I believe both are backlit now and rotate display based on orientation. Those two features are very nice upgrades over original versions.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
KevinInStL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I agree with the others who said that the only thing in BBQ an IR thermometer would be good for is to measure the surface temp of a flat-top griddle.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the others on the Thermapen though. The Thermapen is nice, and if you can afford it and think it's worth the money, then by all means go for it. It's your money...but it’s way overpriced for what it is IMO. A digital thermometer is probably one of the simplest electronic instruments there is. Even a very well made and reliable one has no business costing anywhere close $100 IMO. I have the Thermoworks 600C, which cost me something like $23 including shipping, has served me perfectly, and works just as well as the Thermapen. No it doesn’t have an auto-rotating display, and it doesn't fold. While they may sound nice, those are really unnecessary features if you ask me. Just my 2 cents.

The 600 series is IP67 waterproof though, meaning i can drop it in a pot of hot soapy water and let it soak for an hour (or even overnight) with no issues. I've had it for over 2.5 years, we use it all the time, still measures very accurate in boiling water and an icewater bath, and still haven't even had to change the battery. It is calibratable too should it ever need adjusting.

The 600C is now discontinued but the current versions of it are the 600D and the ProNeedle, both of which are around $30.
EDIT: Looks like the current 600D and ProNeedle do have a 180* rotating display. https://www.thermoworks.com/proneedle click the "10 Questions / 59 Answers" link above the price to see a comparison between the Proneedle and the 600D, as well as a comparison between the ProNeedle and ThermoPop.

Last edited by KevinInStL; 12-04-2019 at 01:43 PM..
KevinInStL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

I'd get the javelin over the thermapen myself, but I personally use the 600c.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #10
LloydQ
is Blowin Smoke!

My Javelin didn't even last a year.
LloydQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Something to think about.
If you are only checking one or two pieces of meat. Then a 3 to 5 second temp gauge is fine.
If you are going to check 5 + steaks, or 20+ pieces of poultry. Or 8 loafs of bread etc etc.
Waiting 5 seconds for each reading can be the difference between success and failure.
I use my thermapop where the tool works fine for checking 2 birds, But my thermapen gets used for all larger cooks.
If you don't need/want the speed then don't pay the $$.
Thermapens go on sale quite a few times each year. I've bought a few for friends and family. Those folks have found them to be the best option for their situations. Where at first they poo poo'd em.
When doing large cooks where the local health dept. is required to verify proteins are fully cooked. Any digital thermometer that is slower than the Thermapen by 2 seconds really is a PIA.
Example, check/show/verify 40+ porkbutts are to temp. You might as well have 15 other thermometers to get the job done. As no food can be processed/served till temps are checked. Been there done that.

Last edited by ebijack; 12-05-2019 at 07:57 AM..
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2019, 07:41 AM   #12
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Start with Thermapen Super Fast, add as many others as you like after obtaining a Thermapen and branch out from there IMHOpinion
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #13
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Losing one hunk of meat or having a cook go sideways could easily cover the cost of a quality thermometer. My go to for “true north” temp readings is my Thermapen. ebijack’s point about probing multiple things is a good one, maybe that won’t apply to you but I’ve had to temp 20+ chicken quarters before and I want my face in the cooker for as little time as possible.

Old 12-05-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
Ayvatr
is one Smokin' Farker

Thermapen mark4 and it’s worth the money.
Fireboard
KCBS Tailwind BBQ Team follow us on [COLOR="Blue"]Facebook[/COLOR]

[U] [/U]
Mike
:plane:
"Start Your Fire" Myron Mixon
Ayvatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #15
DMotivate
Got Wood.

Thermapen is my pick. Have one at home and in the trailer. Even give them out as gifts to those who need extra help at the grill (father-in-law).
DMotivate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermometer