Asado Cross - Goat

Solidstone

Found some matches.
Planning an exotic cook with a buddy.

We want to do an asado cross Goat.

Anyone have experience with goat meat? Tips on cook times seasoning or how to handle gameyness?

I smoked a couple small goats on my Shirley buy never tried a cross over live fire.It was well received but more trouble than it was worth to me.

Cook like you'd cook lamb. Very similar, little more gamey.

I agree on the treat like Lamb, just a lot leaner.
I find the meat Sweeter
We spit roast them exactly like Lamb, ours are young.
Spit roasted a wild caught one once, it was as tough as boot leather, but it may have been frightened to death.
What cut are you going to Cook? (just reread and your doing on a cross, excellent, had sheep done like that)
Cowgirl does Goat I think,
Older uncastrated males tend to smell to me,( Goats)

make sure you get a young small goat. cabrito literally means young goat or kid

it is a lot less gamey than an older animal and very easy to cook

An Indian buffet I occasionally go to serves goat and it is DELICIOUS! The goat Birianyi is very good and all the 'simmered' versions I tried were delicious. Cabrito, when I lived in Tucson, was also very good in all sorts of "South of the border" dining options.

Not sure I could ever really justify cooking that much goat at one time for myself but, it certainly looks good. I might have to talk to my butcher and see what sort of 'cuts' he can get in and do a 'mini' cook. Beer and a saltwater spray on a warm Spring day sounds like a good way to spend some quality time outdoors.

I can also vouch for older male goats being a bit too 'gamey' for most people and they can be cantankerous if you butcher a live one at home. :wink:

Back