MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William
Default Match Light Experiment.

Disclaimer - I've never used Match Light in my life.

A coupe days ago my dad's friend brought me a small tri tip to smoke for him. He included an 11.6lb bag of ML.

I took it and never said anything but I had no intention of cooking the tri tip with that charcoal.

Anyhow, out of curiosity I filled a Weber basket an lit it and went in the house. 20mins later I came out and my first impression was the neighbor was using kerosene to burn brush. That stuff puts off serious fumes.

When the coals ashed over I put the lid on and waited another 20mins or so. Came back out and took the lid off and the fumes burned my eyes. I dont know how anyone can us that stuff.

I have a big brush pile in my yard that I will burn this fall. It's going to get lit with a bag of Match Light.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Same thing happens to me with KBB

Old 07-19-2018, 11:29 PM   #3
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes that stuff is rough. My wife was a fan of it until I showed her the wonderful flavors of food NOT cooked on that stuff. I started using my kettle with lump and I even grill on my BPS as well with lump coal and she refuses to buy ML ever again.

The ol' chimney and starter cubes work wonders.... When I could get out and do it still.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic

Last edited by DjPorkchop; 07-19-2018 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: Further info.
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #4
smoke-n-mirrors
On the road to being a farker

I've tried it before and had the same experience. I gave about 3/4 of the bag away. Lump is the only way to go. I use Cowboy Lump because of availability, burns hot when you need it to, but it's controllable for low heat smokes as well. It seems to last much longer too.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke-n-mirrors View Post
I've tried it before and had the same experience. I gave about 3/4 of the bag away. Lump is the only way to go. I use Cowboy Lump because of availability, burns hot when you need it to, but it's controllable for low heat smokes as well. It seems to last much longer too.
A long time KBB user I bought some of those Royal Oak briquettes back in the spring when they were on sale. I still have 6 unopened bags. I'm very pleased with lump, especially Royal Oak. I'm currently using the Western lump. It has some small pieces but it's been working great and $9.97 for 30lbs is a deal. I'm not sure when I will open another bag of briquettes. Lump has won me over. I think maybe Match Light was designed for college kids who dont care or folks who just dont know any better. The label screams "Easy".
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #6
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Whatever you do, don't add more to the fire while you are cooking!

Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
mattmountz94
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Cajun View Post
Whatever you do, don't add more to the fire while you are cooking!
First time i cooked, i used matchlite in a minion on my kettle. No lie. I have since learned a bunch.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

I once ran out of charcoal during a cook on my WSM, when I was first learning it. There was a small bag of ML that someone left behind in my garage. I had already wrapped the meats in foil, and I STILL had to toss everything after tasting it. I shudder every time I think of that day.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
jimbotx
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
The label screams "Easy".
Yeah, my wife and daughter seem to gravitate toward ML because of its ease of lighting. But, I just showed my daughter how to use a chimney for her Jumbo Joe, and I think she now appreciates the effect of ML on her food. One down, one to go.
jimbotx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #10
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Crap like that is why I avoided charcoal for so long. Anytime I'd had charcoal cooked food it tasted like an ash tray. That, and lighter fluid.

Like Hank Hill says, "Taste the meat, not the heat!"

Though I'll admit now, that charcoal doesn't have to taste like ash. I learned that wasn't how you were supposed to do things.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #11
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

At a friends house for BBQ and he added some in the middle of a cook. Very nasty.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
rehless
Full Fledged Farker

Got a five pound bag as a birthday gift from dear friends..who do not barbecue. Gifted it to my lawn man.
rehless is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #13
Schmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : "Hey, YOU!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamKY View Post
Disclaimer - I've never used Match Light in my life.

A coupe days ago my dad's friend brought me a small tri tip to smoke for him. He included an 11.6lb bag of ML.

I took it and never said anything but I had no intention of cooking the tri tip with that charcoal
I think you need to tell that guy what you used to smoke the tri-tip, else he's gonna think Match Light is da bomb.
And a 22" Weber with GrillGrates and a Vortex.
KCBS member ... primarily so I can get into Restaurant Depot.
Purple and pink Thermapens. The slow ones, as I'm not competitive.
Schmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 AM   #14
W.I.T.W.A.G?
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

While a NOOB I added some in the middle of a chicken cook (not sure why), I opened up the lid an hour later to creosote chicken (black but not burnt). Ahh those were the days..
I mostly burn straight sticks now but prefer lump when I use charcoal. Cowboy or RO but lately the chunks in Cowboy are friggen HUGE and it's difficult to use. They use to have the opposite problem..guess they fixed it (ish)

Why Is The Whiskey Always Gone?
[url]http://www.ironsidesmokers.com[/url]
W.I.T.W.A.G? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Though I'll admit now, that charcoal doesn't have to taste like ash. I learned that wasn't how you were supposed to do things.
Dude, you're not supposed to eat the charcoal!