MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #16
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Where are you sourcing your meat? I would look into buying from a food vendor such as Sysco etc. You should be able to buy St. Louis trimmed spares by the case. I buy a case of 2.75 and down trimmed spares 18 to a case. Price comes out to about $7.xx per rack of ribs. If I buy full spares, the unit cost is about $13.xx per rack. Rib tips might be a big seller and might not depending on your area. I couldn't give them away, so trimmed was much cheaper for me. The only complaint I have is the ribs are trimmed very thin and usually not very thick. I would gladly pay just a little more per rack for a meatier rib.

Good luck,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-20-2018, 07:00 AM   #17
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Cook the rib tips like you would make burned ends.
Smoke them with the ribs, then cut them up, throw them in back on with some sauce etc.
Great for snacking

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #18
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Our local top end smokehouse makes TONS of sides using 'pulled rib' meat...guessing most of it is from tips and leftovers.

Rib meat mac n cheese
Rib meat au gratin potatoes
Rib meat beans
Pulled rib meat sandwiches

They never have the same list of sides 2 days in a row....change it up and try a variety.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #19
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Where are you sourcing your meat? I would look into buying from a food vendor such as Sysco etc. You should be able to buy St. Louis trimmed spares by the case. I buy a case of 2.75 and down trimmed spares 18 to a case. Price comes out to about $7.xx per rack of ribs. If I buy full spares, the unit cost is about $13.xx per rack. Rib tips might be a big seller and might not depending on your area. I couldn't give them away, so trimmed was much cheaper for me. The only complaint I have is the ribs are trimmed very thin and usually not very thick. I would gladly pay just a little more per rack for a meatier rib.

Good luck,

Robert
You have any big cooks coming up?
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #20
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Our local top end smokehouse makes TONS of sides using 'pulled rib' meat...guessing most of it is from tips and leftovers.

Rib meat mac n cheese
Rib meat au gratin potatoes
Rib meat beans
Pulled rib meat sandwiches

They never have the same list of sides 2 days in a row....change it up and try a variety.
Ate at Evie Mae’s in Lubbock TX recently. They had green chile cheese grits as a side. It looked really good.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #21
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Here was the special of the day at Sugarfire Smokehouse in STL.

Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #22
Monte Cristo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Wow, for $13.99 too....awesome.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #23
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Some really good stuff in this thread. I really appreciate the advice everybody. I did the "burnt end" style today and they were awesome.

@Robert,
Thanks for the tips and I'm looking into US-Foods and Sysco, but my main problem right now is storage. Currently I'm going through Sams, Costco, and Restaurant Depot but some of the prices for pork are getting quite high. I bought 8 racks of spares last night (should have bought at least double...sold out in ~30 minutes today) and I'm running right at about $10 per rack, but I will say the meat was great and no shiners or super thin racks at all.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:16 PM   #24
2000milesofsmoke
On the road to being a farker

As many have posted, cook up and sell those rib tips...Great flavor and utilization of product!

Old 07-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #25
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I got hooked on Famous Dave’s rib tips. I bought those farkers by the pound.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #26
AKMIMNAK
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jonathan

Quote:

I cannot believe this deal exists anywhere in the universe. Wow. Totally jealous.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #27
Smoke Rising
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Aaron

There is a join near me that has a special every week called the "chopped rib meat" sandwich. When I asked the owner about it he told told me he uses the brisket bones (more specifically the lean from the flank end past the sternum) for the sandwich. So, he is doing exactly what you are. Buying cheaper full spares and making additional value out of the lean. This guy near me discards the actual breast bone and is left with boneless meat he chops.

It is an awesome sandwich and it sells out every week. The rib meat has tons of smoke flavor and a distinctive bite, different than pulled pork.
Smoke Rising is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #28
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
You have any big cooks coming up?

Philip,

No large cooks in the foreseeable future.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #29
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Pretty good article scroll to spares.

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/...nd-spare-ribs/

I buy the smallest rack of spares I can find-like 3-4#. I removed the visible membrane and the 1/2” flap the membrane tucks under. After I cook I remove the brisket bone. Those are mine. Hot off the cooker I think those are some of the best pork I cook.

As for time, since I foil or wrap at some point, everything finishes at the same time. Many stores sell “value ribs” and spare rib briskets. These can be 50-60% less than regular racks of back and spares.

Value and brisket are never going to win a beauty contest, but for great flavor they are really good. A fun finger food.

The closer the bone the better the meat.
The value option is where I see a problem.

Yes it's nice to offer a value option but if folks order tips they will spend less than ribs. If it doesn't take away from other sales than fine but how are the margins on tips and how many high end customers are going to go for the value tips.

Old 07-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #30
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I used to frequent a restaurant that sold burnt-rib-ends and they were good. Extra seasoned and smoky rib meat. Yo could go with that for an extra option, unless you are wanting to serve them while spares.

Tags
Full Spares