2nd try smoking Beef ribs

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All This is my 2nd attempt at smoking Beef ribs. How many membranes on the bone side of the ribs. I took off one membrane looks like there is another membrane there?
My 1st attempt with beef ribs didn't come out so great.They were kinda on the greasy side. I love beef so another try is in the works.
I got a 2 pack of Costco's Beef Short Ribs Bone in # 68643. I'm firing up the Shirley ribs will go on noon temps 250-275, rubbing with Lucky Daw's Beef rub, a Walmart fine.
Dinner at 6 PM. I hope. Looks like a lot of meat top side of the bone?
Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Trying to make the pic smaller?
THanks Dan
VHH1TNV.jpg

Last edited:
I remove the outer membrane. Cutting into individual ribs can help more fat to render out.

I just made beef short ribs for the first time this past Tuesday. So no expert at all! But mine did not turn out great. I cooked 4 bones worth which weighed about 3.5 pounds. I got mine to an internal temp of about 180. I cooked them still together. They were very chewy and had too much fat. Tasty but difficult to eat. I wish I had separated them into individual bones and trimmed some more of the thick fat off. Not all but some. The bottom membrane had already been removed by my butcher. The following day I read on here that some people will take them up to 200 internal. That might help. I'll add that I put the other two bones back on the WSM for another 3 hours or so. Ate them the next day and they were much better.

I just made beef short ribs for the first time this past Tuesday. So no expert at all! But mine did not turn out great. I cooked 4 bones worth which weighed about 3.5 pounds. I got mine to an internal temp of about 180. I cooked them still together. They were very chewy and had too much fat. Tasty but difficult to eat. I wish I had separated them into individual bones and trimmed some more of the thick fat off. Not all but some. The bottom membrane had already been removed by my butcher. The following day I read on here that some people will take them up to 200 internal. That might help. I'll add that I put the other two bones back on the WSM for another 3 hours or so. Ate them the next day and they were much better.
Sounds like they weren't done. I never go by temp. If a toothpick goes in and out like it does in a new jar of peanut butter, that's done for me.

Update

HI All After 3hs temps at 250-275. Rbs reading 181 I wrapped one in butcher paper .
My Therepen temp probe went in n out like butter. They can't be done after 3 hrs?
Might have throw them in a cooler till 6 pm dinner time?
Will take and post some pics.
DanB

HI All After 3hs temps at 250-275. Rbs reading 181 I wrapped one in butcher paper .
My Therepen temp probe went in n out like butter. They can't be done after 3 hrs?
Might have throw them in a cooler till 6 pm dinner time?
Will take and post some pics.
DanB

I would think 3 hours is a little light. I would cook a bit longer to let more fat render out.

I would think 3 hours is a little light. I would cook a bit longer to let more fat render out.

Hi I'm thinking the same thing, but the probe went in n out like butter.
Going to cook a bit longer then in the cooler.
Thanks DanB

Hi I'm thinking the same thing, but the probe went in n out like butter.
Going to cook a bit longer then in the cooler.
Thanks DanB
Are you sure you didn't probe a pocket of fat? It's happened to me, but I didn't believe it and probed elsewhere and caught it, preventing myself from screwing up, for once.

Are you sure you didn't probe a pocket of fat? It's happened to me, but I didn't believe it and probed elsewhere and caught it, preventing myself from screwing up, for once.

Hi I probed a few spots maybe three. I was really surprised the probe went in out like butter.The Beef ribs looked like they had some nice marbling to them, that may be why the probe acted the way it did.

Any way better to over cooke the under.Will post back with the results.
Thanks DanB

Hi I probed a few spots maybe three. I was really surprised the probe went in out like butter.The Beef ribs looked like they had some nice marbling to them, that may be why the probe acted the way it did.

Any way better to over cooke the under.Will post back with the results.
Thanks DanB

The smaller bone side will probe easy about 1.5 hrs(when cooking neeked), before the other side. You want it to slide in and out real easy between the two big bones, that's the area to watch.

Depending on cooking temp, short ribs may not be "done" till they reach an internal temp of 210+ F. This is a good time to ignore everything you were ever taught about cooking beef. Don't pay attention to the exact internal temp, and do as Burnt said above me. Pay attention to the probe tenderness between the two meatiest bones. When that area is feeling loose, you are good to go.

Nice looking bones, Dan!

I really enjoy a good plate of those.

Looks like you were able to get a fair amount of fat to render down.

Def harder to make these than some make out, 2 attempts here and neither were great. Everything else i’ve Made was pretty damn good the 1st go around (butt, port ribs, chicken, brisket), compared to most que I can get here in denver anyway.

Def harder to make these than some make out, 2 attempts here and neither were great. Everything else i’ve Made was pretty damn good the 1st go around (butt, port ribs, chicken, brisket), compared to most que I can get here in denver anyway.

Hi I think it more depends on the type of beef ribs you get. Last time I had plate ribs/the really big ones, these were smaller and all the meat was on top of the bone.
DanB

Back