• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"Reverse Sear" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through May 21st!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Our New Throwdown Category is...

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Reverse Sear"

PorkChops.jpg

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As chosen by Fatty Mac for winning the "Skewered" Throwdown.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

FattyMac said:
How about a reverse sear TD? I would love to see what the Brethren come up with using this popular technique.

[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/4 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 5/21/18.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. (NOON) Central US Time on Monday 5/21/18

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

This thread is for all entries and general discussion of the category.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT][/FONT]
Best of luck and even better eats to all!

[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
So if a person were todo a reverse sear steak can they post the same cook in the steak TD and this TD? Asking for a friend :icon_blush:

Absolutely! And technically, they could also potentially enter the "All Month Cinco de Mayo Feast" Throwdown, if the entry conforms to the category.

So for example:

Participant enters a ribeye (or ribeyes) that is cooked reverse sear style. This would qualify for both the steak and reverse sear TD's. Then, if they cut up the ribeye and made tacos with it, they could enter the Cinco de Mayo TD as well.

Absolutely! And technically, they could also potentially enter the "All Month Cinco de Mayo Feast" Throwdown, if the entry conforms to the category.

So for example:

Participant enters a ribeye (or ribeyes) that is cooked reverse sear style. This would qualify for both the steak and reverse sear TD's. Then, if they cut up the ribeye and made tacos with it, they could enter the Cinco de Mayo TD as well.
I have other plans for the Cinco de Mayo TD that have todo with Carnitas/Barbacoa Street Tacos and possibly kettle cooked Poblano Enchiladas with the leftovers since you can enter more than one. :thumb:

I'll go first. Please use the final sliced pic for my entry.
Started wit a 1.59 lb bone in NY Strip. Seasoned heavily with Q Salt. Went on the grill for 20 minutes underneath the vent. Then a quick sear, finished with Expresso Sea Salt, and then devoured!

Attachments

• 20180504_195706.jpg
    20180504_195706.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 20180504_200633.jpg
    20180504_200633.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 20180504_202856.jpg
    20180504_202856.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 20180504_203055.jpg
    20180504_203055.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 20180504_203410.jpg
    20180504_203410.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 209
  • 20180504_204942-1-1.jpg
    20180504_204942-1-1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 339
Please accept this is my throwdown entry.

3 lb Tri-tip. Reverse seared at 275 on the traeger and then a direct sear over KBB. Please use the last picture as my entry. Seasoned with a salt and Oakridge Carne Crosta

Before shot:
L9D22sll.jpg

Sliced shot:

ecH2MPil.jpg

Plated shot (entry pic):

G22EjWdl.jpg

Last edited:
Great timing, I can enter two throwdowns with one cook. Haven't entered in awhile and it's finally nice around here. Well at least for half a day.

Ribeye, marinated in some bourbon for about and hour and 407BBQ rub...

H5e8epSh.jpg

Indirect for a while with some mesquite for smoke :shocked:

sDpiRDBh.jpg

Reverse sear time...

HvqDOOuh.jpg

HSkKVgCh.jpg

Please use this pic as my entry.

FYwwj8xh.jpg

Oh3d21hh.jpg

Cook Thread

Reverse Sear Ribeye

Please accept this post as my official entry into the "Reverse Sear" TD.

Please view the cook thread

Seasoned

vNajn0M.jpg

Indirect.....Hey is there a better time to cook a fatty??
bzzjo5g.jpg

Sear!
6ny3O8V.jpg

Done!
Please use the following as my official entry picture:
8M9FVcF.jpg

Sliced up and ready to eat!
WpacIUm.jpg

Thanks!

This is my entry into the “Reverse Sear!” Throwdown.

Cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...39#post3996839

I then opened open the vents and let the Vortex go nuclear.

Once I thought it was like the sun, I put the steak on for 60 seconds.

Flipped it and let it cook another 60 seconds. Please use the picture below as my polling photo.

I brought this in the house and let it rest for 10 minutes. I then cut the rib bone off

and sliced it up into approximately 1/2" slices.

I now placed the slices onto a wooden cutting board for serving and squeezed some blue cheese and herb compound butter on the top.

I took this out to the table and we all served up a plate with the lemon garlic shrimp, baked potato and the heirloom carrots.

So good!

Thanks for looking.

It appears this is still open so...

smoked a tri tip on the offset, pulled at 123 and wrapped for 20-30 raised to 128 then a sear over the fire box please use the last image as my entry

y6UD5uhh.jpg

wa3NKnqh.jpg

gg7XaPph.jpg

Back