Lump charcoal

I have to say that I bought a bag of the Rockwood Lump Charcoal, and I was not impressed. I thought it burned faster than the B&B brand I usually use, and it also left lots of ash. I was really excited to find it and use it, only to be disappointed by the end result. Maybe I got a bad bag or who knows, but in the end I will probably not but another bag. The ACE Hardware near me carries the Wicked Good lump charcoal, I will probably try that next time.

Kamado Joe Big Block and Black Diamond Charwood are two of my top choices but need to order and pickup at Ace Hardware.

Royal Oak when I am out and waiting on an order from those above.

Royal Oak as never really let me down. Seems to keep the wood fires in my offset burning longer.

Costco has monster bags of Cowboy lump, i bought 30, good stuff, i use royal oak in the winter when costco stops carrying cowboy, sometimes royal oak has to much crap in it like rocks and things i can't figure out what it is, i don't like rocks in my charcoal especially since charcoal is sold by the pound, meaning if there is a rock in 1000 bags that weighs .25 pounds or so, royal oak makes and saves money by selling you rocks.

I tried a big bag of Cowboy lump years ago on my Weber performer ,it seemed to pop more when burning and due to the closeness of the grid left a lot of cinders on my food,decided lump wasn't for me on it and never bought another bag for direct grilling or smoking for that matter.

I tried a big bag of Cowboy lump years ago on my Weber performer ,it seemed to pop more when burning and due to the closeness of the grid left a lot of cinders on my food,decided lump wasn't for me on it and never bought another bag for direct grilling or smoking for that matter.

I had similar experience back when. But they changed their supplier a few years ago, and it's very good now - at least what I've bought the last couple/three years.

I just started using b+b, it Sparks bit but overall I've been impressed. I've also used Rockwood and good one lump, I like all three

Too many foreign object in Royal oak for my liking

Cowboy is decent

Picked up a 30lb bag of western lump for 7.88, hoping I like it, store has pallets of it. :thumb:

Grove charcoal has been my favorite for a while now. Consistent pieces, mostly medium size pieces with some large ones. Havent found any foreign material in the bags to date. Decent price too, the most expensive Ive seen is 15 bucks for 20lb bag. Been curious to try fogo, but it’s real expensive around here.

Back