MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by upStomp View Post
I've all but ditched the pan from my WSM already - only using it for large butts and the like. I'll definitely be trying this soon.
Me too. Less to clean.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2018, 12:45 PM   #17
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I've warped 2 Weber brand grates burning pure wood in my UDS's. But, not by using at normal smoking temps. But when running 600-750*. So WSM owners should be good.
I haven't had that issue but I don't build huge fires in their either. Also my grate is doubled up to keep charcoal from falling through so that probably helps support it.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_xxVThreVc"] Brisket Throwdown: Weber Summit Charcoal Grill vs 2017 Kamado Joe Big Joe. [/URL]

Old 03-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #18
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Nice to see you back. Great looking TT...

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #19
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
I haven't had that issue but I don't build huge fires in their either. Also my grate is doubled up to keep charcoal from falling through so that probably helps support it.
I use a double grate also. It is just the high temps causing the grates to warp/rust more than normal.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #20
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
Nice to see you back. Great looking TT...
Thanks Terry! Appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #21
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks to Baby Back Maniac.....I tried this out this past weekend. Did 2 chuck roasts (1.79 lbs. total) and 3 (injected) chicken breast. I'm hooked! I cooked on the top rack......used 10-15 Kingsford briquets and one mini log (split).....I hit it with the weed burner for about 3-4 minutes. I left the door off the entire time. Chicken breast were done slightly ahead of the chuck roasts. But I wrapped them both at the same time after 30-35 minutes. Closed the door and put the lid on. I think I took the meat off the WSM after about 45-50 minutes. They both came out EXCELLENT! I think I'm going to upgrade to a 55 gallon drum.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #22
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Thanks to Baby Back Maniac.....I tried this out this past weekend. Did 2 chuck roasts (1.79 lbs. total) and 3 (injected) chicken breast. I'm hooked! I cooked on the top rack......used 10-15 Kingsford briquets and one mini log (split).....I hit it with the weed burner for about 3-4 minutes. I left the door off the entire time. Chicken breast were done slightly ahead of the chuck roasts. But I wrapped them both at the same time after 30-35 minutes. Closed the door and put the lid on. I think I took the meat off the WSM after about 45-50 minutes. They both came out EXCELLENT! I think I'm going to upgrade to a 55 gallon drum.
I just saw this. That’s awesome, man. I’m glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-07-2018, 11:57 AM   #23
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Back Maniac View Post
I just saw this. That’s awesome, man. I’m glad you enjoyed it!
You just saved me between $800-$1200 (for now anyway ) on buying a Santa Maria grill. A 55 gallon UDS with a 2nd/3rd rack height is waaaaay cheaper. I won't mind having to move the grates to different heights, instead of turning a wheel to do so.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #24
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
You just saved me between $800-$1200 (for now anyway ) on buying a Santa Maria grill. A 55 gallon UDS with a 2nd/3rd rack height is waaaaay cheaper. I won't mind having to move the grates to different heights, instead of turning a wheel to do so.
Yeah, moving the grates is really no big deal on small cooks. I think where you'd miss that feature is if you are cooking for a lot of people and want to do 10 tri-tips or chicken leg quarters at once. It would be cool to have the real deal but I like not adding to "the herd." I'm also wondering if an actual SM grill would even last here during the spring. I've never had a grill where the steel cooking grates aren't enclosed in a greasy grill. They probably have covers or something though.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:16 PM   #25
Demosthenes
Full Fledged Farker

I hear ya on 'adding to the herd'. Another 'cheap' 55 gallon drum can blend in with my others.... waaaay better than a $800 Santa Maria grill would. The drum could virtually go undetected and unsuspected. The beauty of doing SM style is it can be a fairly quick cook. It can satisfy the need to play with fire and get a quick meal, and doesn't require you to spend hours doing it.....sort of a happy medium. It's basically grilling....but at a slower pace. I never feel 'fulfilled' whenever I grill, because I don't feel like I have been out there long enough. (only 1 beers worth )

Old 03-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I don't have a WSM to experiment on so I'm on the Mod a 55 gallon drum side too.

Will say this- if I could stumble on a nice cheap stash of Stainless 3/4" x 1/8" angle- I'd do a smallish Santa Maria with an Argentinian V Grate in a heart beat.

Heck- carbon 3/4" is pretty cheap- if I keep it greased...maybe it'd last. May do one for the hell of it- sort of like the Gabby's- but with a square frame.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:05 PM   #27
bwram1
is one Smokin' Farker

Never used the method to replicate a SMG but began using the WSM as a stick burner last spring...fabbed a 12x12 fire basket and leave the ring out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=244791
Old Country Smokehouse; Pit Barrel Cooker; WSM 22; Weber OTG 22; [COLOR=Blue][COLOR=Black]36"[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] Blackstone griddle; [/COLOR][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermoworks Smoke; [COLOR=Blue][B]BLUE [/B][/COLOR]Thermapen; [B]BLACK[/B] Thermopop[COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]
bwram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #28
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwram1 View Post
Never used the method to replicate a SMG but began using the WSM as a stick burner last spring...fabbed a 12x12 fire basket and leave the ring out.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=244791
Ah, very cool. Thanks for the link. I figured I could not have possibly been the first one to think of something like this. seems so obvious now that I look at it. Why the square firebox instead of the fire ring?

Tags
Santa Maria Grill, Tri-Tip, Weber Smokey Mountain, WSM