UDS Science

mrjoe

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have never ate food from a UDS. I hear it taste better because the grease touches the charcoal and vaporizes back into the meat for more flavor. Is this true, if so what percent better does this taste. Can this be replicated by putting char diamonds in the water pan. Any proposed methods of replicating that UDS flavor without exploding my smoker..flavor bars, ect. Would be trying on a 22.5 WSM or brinkmann gourmet

I actually use a drip/water pan in my uds. Keeps moisture and catches the drippings. The few times I didn't use one, I didn't notice much a difference. Maybe a little less moisture.

Remove the HEAT SINK pan from the WSM & use it for target practice. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but adding Stuff to the HEAT SINK PAN don't impact the flavor of the "Q" 1 iota.

I've used the uds with and without something to catch the drippings before it hits the coals. When I have not used something to catch the drippings the Q has tasted in my opinion awful. I got complements to the contrary on the same meat so to each their own.

Remove the HEAT SINK pan from the WSM & use it for target practice. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but adding Stuff to the HEAT SINK PAN don't impact the flavor of the "Q" 1 iota.

If you want the grease to "touch the coals," then do exactly what The Dawg said. Personally, I use a homemade diffuser in my UDS. I didn't like the flavor of the ribs I had when I cooked on it without. But, that is just my two cents.

I use a perforated pizza pan for a diffuser in my UDS when smoking beef. This way some of the grease makes it through to the coals, but not nearly all of it. I think it adds a nice bit of flavor without overpowering the meat.

I only do it for beef, though. For pork, it's the water pan full of apple juice.

Not a fan of the burnt grease. Try it out though and see if you like it.

I do both depending, drip pan/no drip pan. There can be a difference in flavors. PBC are a favorite with quite a few Brethren who state it is the best tasting and easy to cook on. Everything cooked on a PBC is direct dripping onto the coals as the meat hangs over the coals. And hang a lot closer to the coals than a UDS.
Like mentioned, you would have to try it for yourself to see if you like the difference. I prefer the flavor of my UDS's to my other smokers, but that is me.

There is a lot of personal flavor opinions here and personal experience s here including mine. But your own experience will help refine this type of information to your liking. I like many don't like the drippings on the coals. The first couple of cooks worked for me and it helps with getting a good seasoning on inside of drum. Now I just catch the dripping in a 16 inch pizza pan wrapped in foil. Smithy is right about the steam process but you don't always have to have a water pan. You can wrap your meat in foil when your meat gets the color and smoke you desire. You can also add water or or any other liquid to the foil to help with the steaming process. Again you have to practice to know when that needs to happen cuz personal taste will predict that . Sounds like you .end to build a UDS and start experimenting. There is a lot of info in the official UDS build thread. Have fun and thanks.

There is a lot of personal flavor opinions here and personal experience s here including mine. But your own experience will help refine this type of information to your liking. I like many don't like the drippings on the coals. The first couple of cooks worked for me and it helps with getting a good seasoning on inside of drum. Now I just catch the dripping in a 16 inch pizza pan wrapped in foil. Smithy is right about the steam process but you don't always have to have a water pan. You can wrap your meat in foil when your meat gets the color and smoke you desire. You can also add water or or any other liquid to the foil to help with the steaming process. Again you have to practice to know when that needs to happen cuz personal taste will predict that . Sounds like you .end to build a UDS and start experimenting. There is a lot of info in the official UDS build thread. Have fun and thanks.

Thanks for all the tips, I don't think I have the tools/ carpentry skill for the UDS. Probably defeats the purpose, but do you know of any companies that build a reliable pre-made UDS.

I have never ate food from a UDS. I hear it taste better because the grease touches the charcoal and vaporizes back into the meat for more flavor. Is this true, if so what percent better does this taste. Can this be replicated by putting char diamonds in the water pan. Any proposed methods of replicating that UDS flavor without exploding my smoker..flavor bars, ect. Would be trying on a 22.5 WSM or brinkmann gourmet

Sure you can replicate the flavor if you have a shovel. A drum smoker produces a flavor similar to open pit barbecue... you just don't have to dig a hole. :biggrin1: i have two and love 'em.

PAOpenPit1aaaaaa.jpg

Thanks for all the tips, I don't think I have the tools/ carpentry skill for the UDS. Probably defeats the purpose, but do you know of any companies that build a reliable pre-made UDS.

There's really not much skill involved, you could definitely handle it if you own a study drill. If you don't want to source everything and build a fire basket, Big Poppa's sells a drum smoker kit, all you need is the drum. https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/big-poppa-s-engineered-drum-smoker-kit

If not, I see small companies selling pre-made ones on Craigslist, you could try there.

???? How may of you use a Weber Gasser, Hmmm................ They have a lil somthin somethin called Falvorizor bars. Those bars preform the same function as cooking over the coals. The hot juices drip on to the bars where they burn and give off a smoky essence that rises and adds a smokey flavor. Sorta why burgers & steaks just taste betta off a Charcoal grillover the coals as to being cooked in a skillet. So don't be so fast to dis the process. Ever ate Hawg cooked over an open pit NC Style???? Same process as a UDS that is it's Sellin point! IDK I sorta like it myself but I'm a cranky old bastard and I drink my likker straight too.

I use a perforated pizza pan that I made some of the holes a little bigger. I got it pretty close to the fire basket. I hear the hiss of grease, like its hitting coals, but it's far enough below the food that it doesn't splatter back up on it. I think the pan does wonders for evening the temps out. That's the reason I use it.

I like seeing the little black grease splatters from burgers on the bun tops though. They wouldn't taste the same without em.

???? How may of you use a Weber Gasser, Hmmm................ They have a lil somthin somethin called Falvorizor bars. Those bars preform the same function as cooking over the coals. The hot juices drip on to the bars where they burn and give off a smoky essence that rises and adds a smokey flavor. Sorta why burgers & steaks just taste betta off a Charcoal grillover the coals as to being cooked in a skillet. So don't be so fast to dis the process. Ever ate Hawg cooked over an open pit NC Style???? Same process as a UDS that is it's Sellin point! IDK I sorta like it myself but I'm a cranky old bastard and I drink my likker straight too.

I think the difference is that SOME of the drippings vaporize on the Weber flavorizer bars, the rest end up in the tray that is below the fire. I haven't had any bad food off the Weber gas I've cooked on (not great though). To each his own! I think I've figured out the UDS burnt grease taste for myself.

You can build your own UDS. A good drill, step bit, steel bit (5/16"), cloth measuring tape (like a tailor or seamstress uses); if you get an open top drum you're set.

Here's Norco's write up of the process.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43943

The grease hitting the coals is not such a big problem. The problem with grease is it can soak coals before they are burning so they end up with a thick white smoke....
This smoke will eventually burn off but I don't like the taste. Maybe it's in my head... That white smoke worries me.

I cook all my bbq on a uds without a pan. I see no negatives whatsoever but this thread does make me want to catch the drippings once to see if I notice a difference.

Back