Critique my picanha

RandyNight

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Only the second time I have done picanha, we're more into pork and chicken and burgers.

Dusted with Moose's coffee rub, smoked to 135 IT

Reverse searing at 550

attachment.php

Ready to eat
attachment.php

Attachments

• Smoking.jpg
    Smoking.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 308
  • Reverse.jpg
    Reverse.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 307
  • Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 307
Only the second time I have done picanha, we're more into pork and chicken and burgers.

Dusted with Moose's coffee rub, smoked to 135 IT

Reverse searing at 550

attachment.php

Ready to eat
attachment.php

Looks tasty, what did you and your Family think?
I love this and My Mates rub with nothing but Salt

looks good to me. The important thing is whether you enjoyed it or not.

Looks tasty, what did you and your Family think?
I love this and My Mates rub with nothing but Salt

Everyone liked it. I did do a few pieces with coarse sea salt only, that is how some of our Brazilian friends do. That is really good also. I think I will try some additional salt in @Moose rub for picanha next time.

Some pieces were more tender than others, but IT was consistent on the pieces. Does the tenderness vary in the same picanha?

Thanks to all for the help.

Some pieces were more tender than others, but IT was consistent on the pieces. Does the tenderness vary in the same picanha?
Thanks to all for the help.

I've been waiting for this question to come up and you're the first to mention it.

Yes some pieces are more tender and that's because only the center pieces are true picanha.

Watch this video, it's set to the scene where he cuts and explains it in detail.
https://youtu.be/5kLSy6bPWnk?t=32

right on Radrob. The link is where I get most of my information on Picanha. The outer portions are not true Picanha and are referred to as Colchon Duro. I usually cut the ends off into smaller slices and cut steaks from the middle. the outer end pieces are noticeably tougher.

Looks delicious from here!! Nice job!

Back