MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
Rick's Smoking Again
Found some matches.

Default What can I “pre smoke”.

Headed to the Hatteras over Labor Day. No access to a smoker or kettle. The house has a gas grill and one of those park type charcoal grills. So, what can I precook and finish on this limited resources? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

Old 08-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #2
Hoss
Babbling Farker

I always cook extra butts when I cook.I leave them whole,wrap and freeze,then reheat whole til eating temp.Dang close to just cooked.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2019, 10:13 PM   #3
tom b
Babbling Farker

Ribs warm them up on the grill

Old 08-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
TravelingJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Do you have a Sous Vide? They are helpful to reheat smoked goodies.
TravelingJ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I agree with Tom, cook ahead ribs are very good. My approach is to smoke the ribs for a couple of hours, then have a triple layer of foil ready for a wrapped step which will help insure moistness. I'll use typical foil adders like juice or honey, a little sugar.... whatever. But instead of cooking the ribs to the level of tenderness I'm looking for, I under-cook them slightly..., maybe 40 minutes instead of an hour. Next I vent them for 30 minutes, then move the open pouch to the freezer to chill them down quickly. (If you are doing several racks you can use an ice water slurry in a big cooler, reseal the pouches and put them in 2 gallon zipper bags) Anyway, seal the chilled pouches of ribs and either hold in the fridge or freezer. For reheat, allow about 1.5 hours in a 250° oven, or on a low or indirect grill. When they are warmed and tendered up some.... you can open the pouch to glaze or jut let them set up.

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
Rick's Smoking Again
Found some matches.

Default Thank you.

I am going to try The ribs and smoke a bologna.

See ya at the beach!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #7
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole

Ham, beef and pork ribs, briskets lots of possibilities

Old Country Pecos Stick Burner / Weber One Touch Platinum (Rehab in progress...) / Camp Chef Flat Top 600 / Caja China (Pig Box) / Weber Spirit Gasser / Weber Q 1200 Tailgator / Ooni Pro Pizza Slayer
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
fwdiii
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Fritz

Easy...Ribs. I smoke them till done, then refrigerate them and when ready to reheat, slice and throw on the grill.
fwdiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #9
SweetHeatBBQnSC
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Don't know if you plan on girlling any? This summer we went on vacation and the cabin had the park type grill you mentioned. My FIL and I grilled pork chops on them and I was quite surprised at how well they held heat and cooked.
Isaiah 41:10-Sweet Heat BBQ-Competition Team-Whole Hog Cooker;Weber Kettle 22";WSM 22.5"
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote