MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Favorite Flavor

I’ve had and have currently quite a variety of cookers. More than 30 cookers since 2008 have visited and departed
But even now with my current lineup I have to say that the flavor and aroma that emits from a barrel has to be my favorite. It just hits the difference between smoked and grilled that I enjoy. All my Cookers serve a purpose. Some are sentimental, some are better cookers, some are easier in current atmospheric conditions. Sometimes I just flip a coin.

But that barrel flavor never disappoints

Old 07-29-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
thirdeye

In 2005 Danny Gaulden wrote a review that contained these thoughts, I pulled the trigger....

"The smell was absolutely what I look for in a first class cooker and NEVER have I achieved this quality for the price and cooking capacity. I call it that ol' time "Grandpaw smell"... when many years ago men cooked meat over hardwood coals and the smoke from the wood and the drippings from the meat fell down into the fire, creating an aroma that was unforgettable."

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-29-2021, 02:12 PM   #3
WeberWho
is one Smokin' Farker

Hard to beat the smell of Q on a cold crisp winter day.
WeberWho is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-29-2021, 02:45 PM   #4
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Offset, kettle, drum, in that order for most things. But there are exceptions to that. Whole chicken- drum, Fish- Kettle. But for bigger cuts (butts, brisket, whole shoulder, beef ribs, even St. Louis spares) the offset wins for me. The overall flavor of the offset is what I like. For some cooks I really enjoy cooking indirect in the kettle then a nice reverse sear. That is what I do most often. I love the drum for the simplicity and the easy of use of course. And I recommend them to all my buddies that want to get into smoking. But the flavor of the drippings from the direct heat coming from below is not my favorite thing. I’ve never owned a pellet grill so I won’t weigh in on that at all. I once had a cheap vertical water smoker but let’s not bring that pain back up again. Haha!

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
[url]https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack[/url]
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2021, 02:50 PM   #5
Big Andy
Take a breath!

I agree. My favorite is cinderblock pit with burned down oak and hickory coaks. The drum is as close as I have found to that.
Big Andy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #6
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Andy View Post
I agree. My favorite is cinderblock pit with burned down oak and hickory coaks. The drum is as close as I have found to that.
This right here. Since I can't have a whole hog pit in my backyard, I simulate with burning coals on my WSM (same as you can with a drum). When I want that "North Carolina flavor", I don't use the minion method & opt to only add fully lit coals during the cook...with no pan or diffuser in place. There's nothing quite like direct heat.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:58 PM   #7
16Adams

Drum cooking on #nationalchickenwingday

Last edited by 16Adams; 08-15-2021 at 08:16 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
Lahawk1
Full Fledged Farker

I agree. The last brisket I cooked I did on my old UDS. I had forgot just how good that thing cooks.

Gone but not forgotten, Meadowcreek TS60, Backwoods Party, Pitts and Spitts Ultimate upright, Backwoods Chubby G2, UDS

Gladly gone, Pitt Boss Copperhead
Lahawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I've had a ton off a UDS and I do like that "flashback fog" / pit taste that it gives the meat.
A good hot wood fired grill comes in a tight second, though.

Old 07-29-2021, 07:59 PM   #10
cowgirl

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I love my drums for convenience too! Pretty much set it and forget it cookers.
As for flavor, my favorite would be..
underground pit
horizontal wood burner
cinderblock pit
drums
pellet cooker
I don't consider my grills as smokers. They are direct or indirect grills.

Like Josh mentioned, it depends on what I'm cookin' too.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2021, 12:23 AM   #11
oldgfbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : G-man

Real fire more often than not results in real good food.

Classic Smoke...."Sauce My Chihuahua"
oldgfbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2021, 10:36 AM   #12
Dr. Trout Bum
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Greg

Ditto on the drum.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:47 PM   #13
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

This shot is from a benefit for a co-worker, it has 80# of pork butt and other than knocking the side to knock some Ash off I never touched it, while the the other two guys were using propane smokers and had to add water and wood chips every so often they also had about 80# each in theirs.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:05 PM   #14
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper

If i had to choose a favorite flavor it would have to be Pellet grill for one simple reason, it works for everything. You can go low and slow for a more smokey flavor, or you can go hot and fast for a more clean slightly wood fired flavor. I haven't tried it, but i bet i could make an amazing apple pie in my pellet grill.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2021, 08:46 PM   #15
Clay-b-que
is One Chatty Farker

I have offset Franklinstein and uds and had the Yoder. Default is uds. Yoder could not replicate. Franklinstein is not set and forget. High maintenance but good flavor. I keep going back to the drum. I simply wish that there were something 3 sizes of the drum with the same flavor but there isn’t. I guess I need a hunsaker and gateway to complete the picture so I can offer 3 way reviews and figure out the best flavor which will most likely be the uds because it was the cheapest. You do you adams! We all love it!