MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #2446
BigdogKC
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
What sort of temps are you running? With those four holes it must be like an inferno.
They are covered with a metal electrical plate that swivels. I never have more than 1 -1/2 open, so it seems like a waste to me. I run around 230-250 which is where I want to be, but sometime I have to play with it a bit. Plus it doesn't look as cool. It is easier to travel though since there is nothing sticking out from the drum.

- 2 UDSs...might build another soon
BigdogKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM   #2447
MS BBQ
Got Wood.

Well on my way....and proof!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03280.jpg (47.7 KB, 1286 views)

Last edited by MS BBQ; 02-23-2009 at 10:50 PM..
MS BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #2448
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looking fantastic MS BBQ. Throw some grease all over that raw metal and the inside is ready to rock and roll!!! You have the hard part done.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #2449
MS BBQ
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
Looking fantastic MS BBQ. Throw some grease all over that raw metal and the inside is ready to rock and roll!!! You have the hard part done.
Thanks. Greased it up yesterday after doing the grinding...didn't want it to rust after I came out looking like I was in the coal mine!

Old 02-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #2450
Rodsboots

Well I worked on the UDS again today. Hit it a second time with the weed burner. I also have the grill in place about 6" from the lid since I don't have a "bubble".. I have welded the basket together and it's 12" high.
Tomorrow I plan on welding the nipples in place and adding the 3/4 ball valve to one of them.
I'm still debating whether or not to add a smoke stack or just holes on top.. i have alot of 1" square tubing and was thinking about welding 4 together and attaching it to the flat lid.. suggestions?
I can't tell you how awesome it feels to be getting this done and I can't wait to cook on it..
I'm hoping to do some cooking tomorrow after I season and heat it.
Just thought I'd throw in a couple of pics of my progress this evening. I love my Boddingtons!!
I know it sounds sick but I think I'm gonna sell this one and build a couple more just for chits and grins..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS progress.jpg (27.0 KB, 1307 views)
File Type: jpg Wet Paint and cold beer.jpg (40.4 KB, 1336 views)

Old 02-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #2451
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

I am curious about the two handles next to each other??

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #2452
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Too much beer mod.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #2453
Rodsboots

Default Answer

The lid is really tight and I messed around with one on each side.. but I couldn't get the leverage to open it without lifting up on one side at a time plus I'm thinking about adding a smoke stack either in the middle or on the opposite end
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian View Post
I am curious about the two handles next to each other??

Old 02-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #2454
MS BBQ
Got Wood.

The Boddington's look's refreshing

Old 02-15-2009, 09:31 PM   #2455
Dr_KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsboots View Post
The lid is really tight and I messed around with one on each side.. but I couldn't get the leverage to open it without lifting up on one side at a time plus I'm thinking about adding a smoke stack either in the middle or on the opposite end
I had the same problem, try turning it this direction then it will come off with ease.
A little closer to the edge works too but it a great balance running it right up to the stainless exhaust. The two bolts just under the handle are for the hanging clip.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #2456
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Default John McCain Mod.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcoredneck View Post
Too much beer mod.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #2457
jcinadr

Finished up my first UDS this weekend, and test fired it. (Ok finished is a bit of an overstatement - there are still needs a custom paint job, handles, smoke stack, and of course a bottle opener). The test fire left me with a lot of unanswered issues.

The pit currently has 3-3/4x1/2 bushings (set at 3" on outside), the 3"x18" cheep grill ash pan, and a fire basket made of #9 3/4 expanded mesh - 14" diameter, 12" tall - with the fire grill set at 3", and a 2" conduit fitting smokestack.

With a load of approximately 5lbs of terrible wood, and 5lbs of the bottom of a bag of lump, I got 175 with the valve open, 225 with the valve and one nipple open, and 300 with the valve and both nipples open.

Those temps seemed low to me. But hard to say if I work it with 10lbs of dryer lump (and a smoke stack) what the temps will end up. I am worried about the 3" height of the ask tray - I could cut it down, or ventilate it. Seems overkill to change to 1" nipples, but wonder if the bushings 3/4x1/2 bushings are restricting draft.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome - will fire it up again next week with better lump and a smoke stack (before I start drilling and cutting more).

Oh, what temps does the UDS crowd like to use for chicken? My wife read some on 350-375, which I can not reach at the moment. (Not to mention turbo brisket)
jcinadr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #2458
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post
Finished up my first UDS this weekend, and test fired it. (Ok finished is a bit of an overstatement - there are still needs a custom paint job, handles, smoke stack, and of course a bottle opener). The test fire left me with a lot of unanswered issues.

The pit currently has 3-3/4x1/2 bushings (set at 3" on outside), the 3"x18" cheep grill ash pan, and a fire basket made of #9 3/4 expanded mesh - 14" diameter, 12" tall - with the fire grill set at 3", and a 2" conduit fitting smokestack.

With a load of approximately 5lbs of terrible wood, and 5lbs of the bottom of a bag of lump, I got 175 with the valve open, 225 with the valve and one nipple open, and 300 with the valve and both nipples open.

Those temps seemed low to me. But hard to say if I work it with 10lbs of dryer lump (and a smoke stack) what the temps will end up. I am worried about the 3" height of the ask tray - I could cut it down, or ventilate it. Seems overkill to change to 1" nipples, but wonder if the bushings 3/4x1/2 bushings are restricting draft.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome - will fire it up again next week with better lump and a smoke stack (before I start drilling and cutting more).

Oh, what temps does the UDS crowd like to use for chicken? My wife read some on 350-375, which I can not reach at the moment.
It's the bushings. believe me. Go 3/4" nipples

Ok let's see your Butt!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #2459
Dr_KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinadr View Post

Those temps seemed low to me. Oh, what temps does the UDS crowd like to use for chicken? My wife read some on 350-375, which I can not reach at the moment. (Not to mention turbo brisket)
I think ypou are in perfect range, just fire more fuel into it and leave the lid cracked or off for a little extra time to get the temps up when need-be for chicken. Most bew builders can't get the heat down so count your blessings.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #2460
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
I think ypou are in perfect range, just fire more fuel into it and leave the lid cracked or off for a little extra time to get the temps up when need-be for chicken. Most bew builders can't get the heat down so count your blessings.
Bet he won't get the temp with a 3 butt load.

Ok let's see your Butt!

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker