MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
brimclau
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian
Default Need new freezer - Manual or Auto defrost?

Hi All,

Did a quick search and could not find a thread on this so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I've read that the auto-defrost function actually takes the freezer internal temp from < 0* to almost 32 several times per day to prevent ice crystal build up on shelves and walls of freezer. While not having to manually defrost once or twice a year this does not sound like the best way to keep meat.

Am I better off with a manual defrost freezer? (BTW, looking at upright models due to footprint requirements)

thanks!
Weber kettle
Fire Magic Elite 48"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
brimclau is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->

Old 07-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

I am far from an expert but am over 50. I don't think anything gets hurt in the short amount of time that the defrost cycle occurs.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:54 PM   #3
NBBD
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimclau View Post
Hi All,

freezer internal temp from < 0* to almost 32 several times per day to prevent ice crystal build up on shelves and walls of freezer.

Also not an expert on the subject... but that's what happens in the freezers and coolers of vendors everyday ... auto defrost for about an hour twice per day.
NBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

I am an expert. The temperature of a freezer can reach above 30 during defrost. It's all about how much defrost time is needed. However, that doesn't mean the product will reach that temp. Your product should stay at or below the setting. So, when the freezer comes out of defrost, it will return to the setpoint temp very quickly.

A restaurant W/I must have an auto defrost. The defrost is to keep the coil from icing up and not the walls or anything else. The door frame will also have a defrost heater on it.

If fans move the air in the unit, it will have a defrost circuit.

A household freezer can be purchased with or without a defrost. Household freezers have a static coil. I don't bother with buying a defrost on my chest freezer. Every so often I get rid of the ice on the walls by hand and clean the freezer up while I'm at it. A defrost circuit on this freezer will double it's energy use.
acguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #5
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acguy View Post
I am an expert. The temperature of a freezer can reach above 30 during defrost. It's all about how much defrost time is needed. However, that doesn't mean the product will reach that temp. Your product should stay at or below the setting. So, when the freezer comes out of defrost, it will return to the setpoint temp very quickly.

A restaurant W/I must have an auto defrost. The defrost is to keep the coil from icing up and not the walls or anything else. The door frame will also have a defrost heater on it.

A household freezer can be purchased with or without a defrost. Household freezers have a static coil. I don't bother with buying a defrost on my chest freezer. Every so often I get rid of the ice on the walls by hand and clean the freezer up while I'm at it. A defrost circuit on this freezer will double it's energy use.
This is why I have defrost shut off. The turnaround in a commercial freezer is higher, so there is less chance of food damage.

Last edited by dadsr4; 07-19-2015 at 01:57 PM..
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Eddiecalder
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

The door heater is either always on or controlled by an anti-sweat relay. It has nothing to do with the defrost cycle.

Not that this matters to anyone not in the trade ;-)

(i know whaylt you meant but as a refrigeration mechanic I had to say somthing)
You do refrigeration or HVAC?
Eddiecalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiecalder View Post
You do refrigeration or HVAC?
In trade for 30 years. Been service tech to GM and worked on both sides of the US. Worked in everything from Denny's to the Kennedy Center, Victoria's Secret to the Washington Monument.
Thanks from: --->
Old 07-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Quote:
In trade for 30 years. Been service tech to GM and worked on both sides of the US. Worked in everything from Denny's to the Kennedy Center, Victoria's Secret to the Washington Monument.
Bet that A/C in Victoria's Secret stayed broke . Must have required several trips to fix
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Or fix it right, sit back, and watch the show.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #10
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

Any recommendations for a reliable upright brand?
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedW View Post
Any recommendations for a reliable upright brand?
It's all about your use. If you do a bit of research, you'll find different models have suggested uses. A unit that sits on the line of a busy restaurant needs to be hearty. That's where a Traulsen would be best. It tends to be a very durable line. A unit that only gets opened once or twice a day is light use and for that you can look at True or Bev Air. A Traulsen is about twice the cost of other lines. But it will take a beating that others cant.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #12
acguy
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Bet that A/C in Victoria's Secret stayed broke . Must have required several trips to fix
Sounds better that it was. We serviced around 120 locations in VA, DC, and MA. The store full of good looking women asking about the bra fit only happens on sitcoms. We saw mostly older overweight women shopping for things that left scary mental images when it was given any thought.

We did do a strip club that received extremely prompt and extensive attention to even the most minor of complaints.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
brimclau
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcine Perfection View Post
Or fix it right, sit back, and watch the show.

Ha!!! love it - thanks guys. I think I'm going with a good ol Frigidaire upright with manual defrost.
Weber kettle
Fire Magic Elite 48"
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
brimclau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #14
TedW
is Blowin Smoke!

I bought a frigidaire upright last night. Frost-free
TedW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #15
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't forget about Continental Freezers and Refrigerators.

Along the same line and quality as a Traulsen but not as expensive.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590

Last edited by PatAttack; 07-22-2015 at 06:55 PM..
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote