Christmas Eve Ribeye Roast Take 2

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Most of you who’ve been around a few years know this is the time of year that I go Full Griswald so I haven’t got a lot of cooking in recently.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Well I was finally able to get in a cook this weekend. Every year I host our family Christmas get together. My 2 brothers that live out here in California, come down from the L.A. area with my niece and nephew. We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Turkey, then nice Honey Baked Ham. Well last year we decided to try a Ribeye Roast and it was a big hit so we did it again this year.

My preparations started the night before when I made up some Horseradish Sauce. (This pic is from last year but it’s the same as what I did this year)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Horseradish Sauce Recipe: (Tweaked from Chef John on Food Wishes)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup sour cream or crème fraiche[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]pinch of cayenne[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoon thinly sliced chives. (I like to use Dill)
2 tablespoons extra hot (Atomic) pure horseradish (not horseradish sauce)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

I had this nice boneless Ribeye Roast in my freezer that I started thawing last Tuesday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Early Sunday I made up a Rosemary and Garlic rub / paste to use on it.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rub Recipe: (From Larry of BEER-N-BBQ by Larry)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup chopped fresh rosemary
3+ Tbsp crushed garlic
2 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
OO[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I unwrapped the roast and trimmed off most of the hard fat.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I applied the rub (paste) [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and then covered it with plastic wrap and let it sit on the counter for the next 4 hours to come up to room temperature.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Around noon I set up my kamado for direct / indirect cooking. I let it come up to 250 degrees before I put on the roast.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]While it was cooking we set the table from our guests.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After it reached an internal temperature of 124 degrees [/FONT][FONT=&quot]I pulled it off and covered it while the kamado got up to searing temps. (Note: many of my guests wanted it well done so the best I could talk them into was cooking to medium)

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Once the CI grate was nice and hot I put on the roast for 1 minute per side.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here are some pics of me slicing it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On the table on the Christmas platter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And here it is plated with a Stone Brewing “[FONT=&quot]Pataskala [/FONT]Red X IPA” on the side. Both are waiting to be devoured.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Even though this was cooked to mostly medium it was still delicious. The rub / paste developed into a nice crust that was absolutely delicious. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Thanks for looking.[/FONT]

Looks great - I'd like that slice right out of the middle!
You and me both.

I'd cook it to medium rare but I was trying to please everyone. Unfortunately that's hard to do when when one wants it rare, 2 want it medium rare, 2 want it medium and 2 want it well done. :wacko:

You and me both.

I'd cook it to medium rare but I was trying to please everyone. Unfortunately that's hard to do when when one wants it rare, 2 want it medium rare, 2 want it medium and 2 want it well done. :wacko:

LOL - At least is was pretty even requests. Could have been 5 well done :tsk:

Second choice is always the end cut!

Looks like you made everyone happy.

Absolutely on target! I agree with the Rare-Med Rare comments above, but that homemade sauce, though!

You and me both.

That's what Au Jus is for. Cook it to mid rare which the rare person will accept, so that makes 3 people really happy. Steep 2 cuts in the au jus for a min or two for the medium takers, and for a few minutes more for the well done crowd.

Even though the end pieces were well done they are delicious as they have the most of that delicious crust on them.
And for this reason, any guests of mine that want well done get a slice from inside boiled in au jus. F them.
And then a dis-invite for the next year.
The crust is for those of us who Care!

That's what Au Jus is for. Cook it to mid rare which the rare person will accept, so that makes 3 people really happy. Steep 2 cuts in the au jus for a min or two for the medium takers, and for a few minutes more for the well done crowd.
Thank you Demosthenes. That's definitely worth trying.

Back