STL ribs + a rub recipe!

sleebus.jones

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Had so much success with the STL ribs a couple of weeks back, I decided to do them again, now that DW is back in town. This time, I used a different rub, actually one from my work. They put up recipes of whatever they're cooking, and you can grab them and take them home if you like. Well, they had a Carolina pork rub that looked real interesting. I'm providing it as percentages because their industrial measurements are weird to use for home use (5/8ths cup, etc)

Code:
salt			18.92%
white sugar		16.63%
dark brown sugar	16.33%
ground cumin		5.75%
chili powder		9.28%
black pepper		8.75%
cayenne pepper		3.91%
paprika			15.03%
granulated garlic	5.39%

Making this is really easy, but you'll need a scale. Suggested application rate is 8.6g/lb of ribs. 10lbs ribs = 86g of rub. Multiply 86 times all the percentages above and you'll have the grams needed of each ingredient. You can also make up a bulk batch of 500g, same thing, multiply 500 times the percentages above and weigh it out.

So, the verdict...how did it taste? Well, it tasted really good! The 4Rivers rub I got from Stingerhook has a nice hit of Cumin in it, and so does this rub. It's almost the same thing, not quite, but close. It's a very good base to start tweaking from.

So. Pics. Yes. I've got 'em. I applied Worcestershire to stick down the rub, applied at suggested rate, cooked at 275° straight through on the PG1000. Applied a mopping sauce twice during the cook. Total cook time was 5.5 hours.

BmrXnQGl.jpg

VoCcS5Tl.jpg

Really, really good result. I'm a big fan of Meathead's Memphis Dust, but I think this has it beat!

I am going to give this a try.
If it is half as good as your German Sausage recipe, it will be a winner.
Thank you for posting the recipe.

I am going to give this a try.
If it is half as good as your German Sausage recipe, it will be a winner.
Thank you for posting the recipe.

I think you'll be rather pleased. I used coarse ground black pepper, hoping for a bit of a peppery crunch in the finished product but I think the mop kinda softened it up too much. The only other addition I'm thinking of making is celery seed, just haven't decided how much I want to add.

Nice man!

Make you some up and report back! :)

I think you'll be rather pleased. I used coarse ground black pepper, hoping for a bit of a peppery crunch in the finished product but I think the mop kinda softened it up too much. The only other addition I'm thinking of making is celery seed, just haven't decided how much I want to add.

Make you some up and report back! :)

I use celery seed in my rib rub. I run them thru the mortar and pestle before adding them to the mix, mostly to pop the seeds.

I use celery seed in my rib rub. I run them thru the mortar and pestle before adding them to the mix, mostly to pop the seeds.

Do you know what percentage by weight they make up of your rub? I'm trying to find a starting point. From another recipe, the person used ~7% by weight. Seems kinda like a lot to me. If you have volumes, I can also calculate from there.

I am going to try 3.5% Celery Seed for starters.
Also will be replacing cayenne with a equal amount of HDD for a little more kick.
Will report back.

Yep, sounds like a good starting point. The heat level with cayenne is pretty well balanced. Gives you a tingle, but doesn't overwhelm the blend. It's a nice balance. I'd give 'er a go both ways.

Looking forward to seeing what you think!

Thanks for posting. Better than Meatheads Memphis Dust?? That is high praise as I find that it beats most commercial rubs

Beautiful job on the ribs, Sleebus. You can't hardly ask for better. Thanks for the rub recipe, as well.

Nicely done!

Do you know what percentage by weight they make up of your rub? I'm trying to find a starting point. From another recipe, the person used ~7% by weight. Seems kinda like a lot to me. If you have volumes, I can also calculate from there.

Sorry it took so long to respond - it's finally snow season in the midwest and I been working overtime most of the week. I have it written by volume - here you go & good luck!

1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup White Sugar
4 tsp Lowry's Season Salt
4 tsp Onion powder
4 tsp Lawry's Garlic Salt
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp onion salt
1 tsp chipotle pepper powder
1 tsp jalapeno pepper powder
1 tsp celery seed

Thanks! That helps a lot.

Now just waiting for the others who said they were going to try it to report back... :thumb:

Tried it last night on some spares.
Did not like replacing the cayenne with HDD(to overpowering). Used 3.5% crushed celery seed. May have to increase that a bit. Great rub recipe.

Yeah, I've had some of that HDD before and it is strong stuff. Noted the 3.5% celery seed, I'll probably start there.

Back