Back To Basics

C

CH0WH0UND

I'm new to smoking and I could really use a quick and easy tutorial on cooking Ribs. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Welcome.

First we need to know what smoker/grill you are planning to use and which fuel.

Second is if you have mastered the fire/temp control.

Those are the first things we would like to know to help you along.

After that... its easy.

I'm going to be using my char griller pro with the side fire box for smoking.
After reading through some threads I've decided to use some lump for fuel with some cherry wood.
I cannot say that I have mastered fire temp control but I have consistently kept a pretty steady temp.
I'm planning to do a couple racks of baby backs if that helps to know.
And also I noticed that the smoke seems to get very thin coming out of my stack. the meat is still cooking but I'm not sure if the smoke needs to be thick in order to be smoking??

Hey Chow, I would say that once you feel comfortable getting to and keeping temperature, the best thing is to do a simple rib cook.

I really like using commercial rubs for a first cook project. But, if you do not have that available a very simple rub will work great with baby backs. Something like

3 tablespoons each kosher salt and medium grind black pepper
1 tablespoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/2 teaspoon turbinado or natural sugar

Shake to blend then dust onto ribs. Let sit for an hour. Place on smoker.

You want a thin blue smoke coming out of your cooker, you do not want a white or heavy smoke. We all strive for a thin blue smoke, it gives you the cleanest flavor.

Thanks landarc!! you say just dust dust not rub?? let it sit and put em on sounds simple enough... what temp would you recommend to for cooking? do i need to foil them or do anything later on in the process?? thanks again for your insight.

Alright, so the smoke that i've been getting sounds like it may be just what i'm looking for. It kinda looks like a thin blue rather then the thick white. And thanks for the literature recommendation Ryan. I'll check it out!! Sounds like just the kind of book I'd like to read.

Okay, the instructions were not quite clear. I dust and pat, then wrap in plastic wrap for an hour. Or, I dust and pat then sit them on a rack for an hour. I do not rub, I pat. I have been known to slap a butt or two, but, you have to be prepared for getting slapped back. :-D

I like ribs cooked at 225F, no foiling for me (if I was doing a competition or speed cook, I might foil). If you do this right, 4 hours or so gets you done to very tender. If you want wet ribs, sauce at 15 minutes before completion.

Oh, I test for done by lifting one end of the rack, if it bends as I pick it up and forms a 60 degree to 90 degree angle, you are good to go.

Also, learn to read your ribs for doneness. You want them to pull off the bone cleanly, but not fall off. You will see the bones start to stick out a little past the meat, as the meat starts to lose it's grip on the bones. At least, that's what I was told, and it seems to work.

Does anyone have some good pr0n that shows what the meat/bones should look like when the ribs are done?

CD

:laugh: thanks again landarc... that helps a lot. I'll give it a go and let you know how they turn out. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Thanks again!

Here is a rack that was done right. Not the prettiest, but, they ate nicely.
PA280416.jpg

Here is a rack of spares showing pull back and a nice color and texture. Those are rib tips, burnt ends style in the pan.
P7110245.jpg

looks delicious!! I see the pull back you guys are talking about too. When that happens ribs are done?? Cant say that I've ever heard of rib tips... they look good too though... haha

Okay, the instructions were not quite clear. I dust and pat, then wrap in plastic wrap for an hour. Or, I dust and pat then sit them on a rack for an hour. I do not rub, I pat. I have been known to slap a butt or two, but, you have to be prepared for getting slapped back. :-D

QUOTE]

I only slapped you because I was startled. :icon_blush:

sounds like Landarc has you covered just follow his advice

looks delicious!! I see the pull back you guys are talking about too. When that happens ribs are done?? Cant say that I've ever heard of rib tips... they look good too though... haha

You may or may not get pullback, usually you do. The bend test is a good way to test. Rib tips are the cuttings when you trim up spareribs to the St. Louis style shape.

Still new at this myself.........

Paul B
SS UDS

Garlic powder and granulated garlic are not the same, but either would work. Granulated garlic is coarser while garlic powder is ground fine. Generally, if a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of garlic powder I would use 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of granulated garlic because of the coarser grind. Similarly, if a recipe called for 1 teaspoon of granulated garlic I would use 3/4 teaspoon of garlic powder.

Another way to tell if ribs are done is to use a toothpick in between the bones. If the toothpick slides in with little resistance, then the ribs are probably done.

BTYW, the timing that Landarc gave you was for baby backs. Spare Ribs will generally take longer.

I prefer a medium textured rub for much of what I cook, hence granulated garlic, but, garlic powder works too, maybe use a little less of powder. I really like a medium textured rub over powder in general. Just a personal preference there.

I go by the bend test (as outline above) or poking with a toothpick, if it goes in easily the ribs are done. I use a round toothpick missing the pointy tip.

Landarc has got you covered on the techniques. After a few practice runs you may want to do some modifications on your Chargriller Pro. I have the same smoker and have made quite a few mods to mine. You can search the threads on here or find videos on Youtube for suggestions. DON'T rely on that temp gauge that comes with it. Get some good temp gauges and mount one on either end of the front of the lid just above grill level for more accurate reads. Then you can pick and choose the other mods that suit your needs. Good luck!

Back