Back to basics

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
All of the chatter lately about retiring from competition cooking etc really got me thinking. Like many others that do comp I found myself not doing all of the fun & creative cooking I used to do when I first got bit by the bug. I also forgot how simple grilling could be fun. Got home from work and decided to do something I haven't done in ages. Light up the kettle and just throw some plain old boring and simple meat & corn on . Nothing fancy, no special rubs , sauces, ingredents. It was the best time I have had cooking in what seems like forever. Back to basics...

Last edited:
It is fun to sometimes just make some good food, without all the pre work. FIRE + FOOD = Good Dinner

I concur!!

I was going to post a thought about this very same subject.
Brisket ribs butt. Butt brisket ribs. Thighs ribs butt, ad infinitum.
I don't compete, but I got to that "rut" for a bit.
Five or so years ago, wifey bought me Raichlen's Barbeque Bible.
550 pages of recipes from all over the world, and what do I do? Turned to the brisket page and the butt page-read that and toss it on the shelf:roll:
Finally about a month ago I pick it back up and actually start flipping through it. What a great collection of flavors and ideas !!!! WOW.
So I have it by my desk now and I am trying to take it in and do some different stuff.

I have grilled 4 of the last five days. From simple burgers to last night's pork chops. It's been fun doing some simple, yet tasty stuff.

Great point!! We do grill at least 4 times a week. Oh, great lookin' food.

I coundn't agree more! Luckily for me my wife grills on the Egg almost every night. I'd like to do some "regular" backyard cooking too. Carne asada, burgers (ground from brisket trimmings), roadside chicken, brats, ribeyes, etc.

hey there

for the past 4 years my wife and I have been living apart (jobs), I love to cook, but not inside, I grill at least 4 nights a week and in the warm months, May - October sometimes every night/day...nothing fancy for the most part but good honest fare (fair?). I will do some slow cooks and special stuff when I have company, usually Milehigh, but for the most part I stick to the "KISS" method of cooking..

Grace and peace

Ben

Sled, that food looks awesome, bro!
I can almost taste those sweet kernels of corn... maybe slathered in Chipotle-lime butter with a hint of cilantro!:biggrin:
Grilling does have it's place in my heart...

Ben,

Is that a rhodesian ridgeback in you avatar, I love those dogs.

Nice! You know what would be awesome, though?

Inject the raw burgers with Fab, slather in squeeze butter, coat in Buttrub rub and cook using the 5-5-5 method (five minutes on grill, five wrapped in foil with apple juice and five minutes in a cooler)! Glaze with Head Country Sauce (cut with a little honey) then serve over lettuce in a styrofoam box.

Nice! You know what would be awesome, though?

Inject the raw burgers with Fab, slather in squeeze butter, coat in Buttrub rub and cook using the 5-5-5 method (five minutes on grill, five wrapped in foil with apple juice and five minutes in a cooler)! Glaze with Head Country Sauce (cut with a little honey) then serve over lettuce in a styrofoam box.

Good for you Sled !!! I'm grilling some flank steaks and corn on the cob.

Sled - Do the grilling judges like that technique ? :biggrin:

Great times, great meal. This is where an egg in the arsenal is a plus.

Steve--
Great post and some good looking grub!
It don't get much better than that.

TIM

Good for you Sled !!! I'm grilling some flank steaks and corn on the cob.

Sled - Do the grilling judges like that technique ? :biggrin:

MS do you have a bigger pic of your avatar?? ir looks like it might be very sexy to me!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::-D

That is a healthy amount of food. We do that routinely and usually just use salt and pepper for flavor. Unforyuneately most nights it is done on my gas grill because of tge hour AI get home. I like to have dinner cooked for my son before he leaves for work at 6 PM

Back