MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokgineer View Post
"Welcome to the BBQ Brethren. We are an Online BBQ community dedicated to the teaching, promoting and growth of the Art of BBQ. We are here for both the backyard enthusiast and seasoned veteran. We have membership ranging from the Backyard to the American Royal. Our goal: To help anyone who comes in to make the best BBQ they ever produced, whether it be for your family, your friends or the KCBS judge,and at the same time, build lasting friendships and a commaraderie that makes us stand out from other internet forums."

You say the KCBS mission statement is fluff but when a proper mission statement is drafted, and pursued, I think we can all see and feel what the effects are.
BBQ Brethren really exists for the purpose of their mission statement.

I really believe KCBS does, in a way too. They do promote BBQ, their primary method of doing that is by supporting and encouraging competition BBQ. A solid network of contests does promote the sport. One could also argue that national sponsors and media attention does as well.

Would BBQ Pitmasters exist without KCBS? Maybe...or maybe not. Could you promote BBQ in a different way? Sure, but these are the methods KCBS has chosen to use, and I think it's hard to argue with the results. BBQ is getting more attention, and KCBS is a contributor to that.

As the end of the day though, KCBS is a 501(c)3 corporation. The IRS narrowly defines what a 501(c)3 is, and the closest match for what KCBS is all about is an educational charity. The IRS even suggests in their own documentation that an educational charity mission is the right direction to go for a hobbyist organization that wishes to become a 501(c)3. You have to have a public mission to be a 501(c)3, and providing public services, giving away money (a foundation), or providing education are pretty much the only ways to do it.

The KCBS mission statement and bylaws are carefully written to comply with IRS guidelines for a 501(c)3 (as is any public charity), so you have to read them through that lens.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #17
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Or you could truly take up your chosen banner and *be* that voice of the backyard cook at KCBS by running for the Board yourself. Now is the time to start stumping the circuit for the 2014 election!

For myself, I find the small fee of KCBS membership delivers a great deal more benefit than many other organizations I've given to over the years. But then I'm a pro cook, CBJ and contest organizer, so the focus on competition suits me.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 05:28 AM   #18
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Or you could truly take up your chosen banner and *be* that voice of the backyard cook at KCBS by running for the Board yourself. Now is the time to start stumping the circuit for the 2014 election!

For myself, I find the small fee of KCBS membership delivers a great deal more benefit than many other organizations I've given to over the years. But then I'm a pro cook, CBJ and contest organizer, so the focus on competition suits me.
+1 be a Change Champion and develop a program from the inside.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-15-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Unless the event you want to compete at is a Sam's Club event, you don't have to be a KCBS member.

I had mixed feelings reading this thread. I feel that the KCBS is, in general, a positive for BBQ.

When I read the OP, my immediate thoughts were that you can't fault the KCBS for not succeeding at something that they aren't attempting.

Then I read the quote that seems to declare their mission statement "Recognizing barbeque as America's Cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form." and I changed my mind.

Then I changed it back again when I realized that the quote was puffery, akin to Burger King stating that it has the juiciest burgers in the business.

If part of your goal is to support an organization that supports BBQ and promotes the preservation of our native cuisine, I highly suggest that you purchase a BBQ Brethren subscription. It's not a lot of money, expands your options here at the forum and helps pay for the overhead.

Eric
Eric, it had better not be puffery when they declare this to the IRS on their tax return in support of their not-for-profit status!

Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #20
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Like I said, I'm bitter, but nothing I've written above is untrue. If KCBS would like to rectify any of the issues I've mentioned, I'd love for them to do so. Give back to those who made you. Stop selling out to corporate sponsors, and stop playing favourites for members who add to your bottom line. I guess today isn't the best day for me to sugar coat things with this group. I'm sure it will hurt me with those who want nothing more than peace and money, but sometimes doing right feels better than getting into some one's good graces. I welcome arguments to the contrary rather than back room deals.

dmp

you might be right, but you are no martyr.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

the guy is in MN...you really think there is a snowball chance he gets elected to the board. Doesnt compete, doesnt judge, doesnt organize, and I doubt he is a Walton. Seems like a tough road to hoe.

identifying an issue and having the time, talent, and treasure to fix it are 2 totally different things.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #22
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
you might be right, but you are no martyr.
My point is that there will be some who read that (or already have) and will take to take action against me, or fail to take action for me, because I don't support the organization. I've been told that multiple times already. That's the kind of thing that isn't scaring me right now.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #23
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Eric, it had better not be puffery when they declare this to the IRS on their tax return in support of their not-for-profit status!
What "education of barbecue cooking" does KCBS have? Does selling BBQ cookbooks for profit count? This is an honest question?

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

Bingo. Well stated, Gowan.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #25
carlyle
is one Smokin' Farker

My 2 cents worth from a fellow Minnesotan.

At our contest I have seen active participation, help, guidance, and encouragement for both our backyard contestants and our Kids Q participants and parents from our KCBS Reps.

2 of those Reps are Don Harwell and David Londeen - both running for the BOD.

Both agree that backyard is a feeder program for the KCBS contests so they willingly participate in those parts of our events.

Actions speak louder than words. You may not have heard the campaign rhetoric that you were looking for. But I have seen the interest and the actions at work that demonstrate their commitment .

KCBS is worthy in my book. Not perfect. The place to make change is from the inside working within the system, not outside.

MN BBQ Society is a great place to be. You would be most welcome there. Our annual banquet is Jan 26th. Time enough to join and come have a good time with us.There are cooks, judges, and organizers all working together to make BBQ better in MN.
Oh, and David Londeen is President of MN BBQ Society.

What ever you decide to do, please stay active and stay vocal.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #26
nukenight
On the road to being a farker

Default Thanks!

I think you have hit the nail on the head. As a judge who cooks occasionally, I find myself asking the same question about the value of KCBS membership. I've been a member since 2003 and am having a difficult time with the notion of membership. Why should I pay to join something where the benefits are minimal? You are asking the right question. If I was you, I'd dump KCBS and then get involved in your local BBQ group. In my case, we are very pro-active in Louisiana about helping new cooks. We have a Best Head Cook program where we give out prizes and money (hopefully soon) to the best new head cook. In fact, one of our new head cooks (first year cooking at contests) was GRAND CHAMPION at one of our bigger contests! This is where local BBQ groups really shine. They typically know the lay of the land and know what is needed at the local level.
nukenight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I probably should slap my fingers off the keyboard! <<I hear you, Jorge...>>

KCBS gives back plenty. Ask the kids of KCBS members who applied for and received a grants in aid to help pay for their education. Ask the organizations who received grant money to further their missions, from a kids' group buying cookers to senior Q. Things like this aren't shouted from the rooftops and not near as interesting as slinging dirt around.

KCBS provides a framework for organizers to put together contests, officials to officiate the contests, trained judges who know the judging method and structure for the cooks competing. $35 a year gives you the Bullsheet every month that's less than $3 for each issue. I don't use any of the other member discounts, but I may sometime.

Those of you who do not know me, I admit up front I AM BIASED towards KCBS. I have served it's members for 2 years and 11 months on the board of directors and I have been president for the last year and 11 months. KCBS isn't perfect, but it provides the structure and method for a pastime I enjoy very much.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #28
Smokin' Hicks
On the road to being a farker

I am not very smart but, I thought the KCBS was primarily for those who compete, judge, or rep. If you took the competitors, judges, and reps out of the mix for KCBS would there even really be a reason for the KCBS? As mentioned above the KCBS is a BBQ sanctioning body that sanctions BBQ competitions and this is the reason why competitors, judges, and reps. get the just of the attention within that sanctioning body.

Smokin' Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I will stand on a chair and say it. the KCBS has awarded my foundation Grants and it is much appreciated by myself that they believe in me and my cause enough to support it.

Not sure if I am supposed to announce that. But I can tell you that it makes me swell with pride that they do it for us. I believe enough in the KCBS that I am now a lifetime member.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #30
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

KCBS is making more available to the backyard cooks. They are sanctioning grilling contests. These are 1 day burger, steak, wings contests. We held one here in las Vegas and Whiskey Ranch in AZ will have a few this year. Lower entry fees and a great chance for backyarders to get the feel and excitement of a cooking competition.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote