Any tips for smoking turkey breast?

Sway

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I did some looking around on google, but Im sure those are not always the best.

Do I wanna keep the heat at 225-250 and is 30min per pound sound right?

I like higher heat for lean meats like turkey, especially breast meat. I cook it in the 325 range.

^^^ what Bigabyte said. Also poultry tends to soak up smoke like a sponge. Too much smoke is not good. Higher temperature and shorter cook time will help with that too.

DSC00426.jpg

I did this at 275. wrapped in bacon to help the breast not dry out. It was awesome.

DSC00427.jpg

Last edited:
325 degrees is what I Qed mine @. It came out good and juicy. used apple/cherry wood and pulled around 155-160 internal temp

dont que by time but for turkey by internal meat temp. pull it at 155-160 like kenn said above^^. some fruit wood and pecan shells makes for a great smoke for poultry

Your getting a lot of good advise. I like to brine them and smoke them about 300 degrees with a fruit wood (Lightly) until you reach an internal temp of 155 + or - a few. Remove to a tray and cover with foil and let rest for 30 minutes.

Good stuff......

I can remember one of the guys at the butcher shop where I used to work telling folks "Turkey breasts are easy to smoke, it is just hard to get them lit" :becky::becky:

Thanks guys. The plan was to brine it already and I will be using apple and cherry wood to smoke it. The thing I wasn't sure about was the temp for the smoker. Most of the time I search around for what it is I want to do, then ask question to make sure it all sounds right. I get there is really no wrong way to smoking, cooking or bbq, but everyone has their own way of doing it.

Thanks again for all your info.

Just throwing this out there, many times when folks want to make their own smoked turkey breast they are hoping to replicate or improve upon smoked turkey that they got at the store or butcher shop and then they are disappointed when it tastes nothing like what they were expecting even though it is very good.

Most (pretty much all) smoked turkey that you buy at a butcher shop or store has been cured before smoking and therefore develops a somewhat smokey/hammy/turkey flavor, something that won't be achieved by brining alone. The same is true for most smoked salmon that you buy. For the longest time I was confused why my smoked salmon didn't have quite the same texture & flavor as store/butcher shop bought stuff...

If you want that type of smoked TB, use some tender quick or pink salt in your brine. (if you use TQ, be sure to adjust the salt down, tq already has quite a bit of salt in it.)
If you want turkey like what you get at T-giving, just proceed as you have planned. :thumb:

sprinkle it with garlic and salt heavy refrigerated for 24 hours. Remove and sprinkle heavy with course black pepper. Cook ay 32

Thanks guys. The plan was to brine it already and I will be using apple and cherry wood to smoke it. The thing I wasn't sure about was the temp for the smoker. Most of the time I search around for what it is I want to do, then ask question to make sure it all sounds right. I get there is really no wrong way to smoking, cooking or bbq, but everyone has their own way of doing it.

Thanks again for all your info.
I use apple and/or cherry and cook at 325 or so. Turkey breasts are easy to cook and usually come out great.

Rub some olive oil on the skin too help crisp it up. Works for me.
+1 on the brine and 300-325 temp

Back