Brisket question continued

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Ok going back to my previous thread about doing 2 briskets for a party in 2 weeks I had another question. I plan on doing high heat cooks for 2 briskets and the party is at 5:30pm. The briskets weight about 15lbs each and will be done indirect on kettles at around 350. What is a good time to start? I was thinking 9:30am or 10am. And say I get them cooked by 3 or 4 what is the best way to keep the warm and transport them? If I wrap in towels and put in a cooler will they stay warm enough for a few hours and should I slice before or wait till at the party to ensure moist brisket. My plan is rub brisket and put on cookers cold, take each to 160, foil till 190-200 then ???? Thanks! I've never been nervous about cooking before and now I'm having nightmares about dry brisket!!!!! Help! Sorry if I'm asking lots of questions I just want to make great food for everyone. My reputation is on the line here!

I usually always go low and slow usually 185-200 for 10-15 hrs. Depends. I did one last weekend on a new smoker and it turned out tough as leather. I had help that I didn't need and it was impossible to control the heat as it varied from 225 to 300+ at times. Friend could not leave it alone and it was overcooked in 5-6 hours. I finally just gave up and drank more beer. Too many cooks in the kitchen. I wish you better luck with yours.

Cooking time I can't help with because I don't cook that hot.

They will stay plenty hot for 2-3 hours if you wrap them in foil then place them in a cooler with a couple towels.

help,Im new at this,NEED A RECIPT OF BRISKET RUB.COOK FOR MYSELF AND A FEW CHRISTIAN FRIENDS.THANKS. MFSPORT

I have done three hot and fast briskets on my kettle. They worked out well, the first was moist and juicy and waaaay to salty. The second was great flavor but the flat was dryish, still good though. The third was spot on.

I started cold meat over a kettle that was giving me a nice blue smoke and holding at 260F. I let the brisket sit in that environment for a little over an hour, then added some warmed up wood and opened the bottom vent to get it up to 290/310, all three cooks, I had some issues with temp control. Still, it went fast, between 5 and 7 hours (7 hour one was dry). I use the poke method, using 165 (start of stall) as a reference point to start thinking about checking the meat. I do not foil, I cook until the probe slides in. This is gonna be at closer to 190ish. If you start at 9, which I would, you should be done around 3ish to 4ish. I would definitely foil and rest for at least 20 minutes.

Definitely use the search function and research threads on high heat brisket.

I have done three hot and fast briskets on my kettle. They worked out well, the first was moist and juicy and waaaay to salty. The second was great flavor but the flat was dryish, still good though. The third was spot on.

I started cold meat over a kettle that was giving me a nice blue smoke and holding at 260F. I let the brisket sit in that environment for a little over an hour, then added some warmed up wood and opened the bottom vent to get it up to 290/310, all three cooks, I had some issues with temp control. Still, it went fast, between 5 and 7 hours (7 hour one was dry). I use the poke method, using 165 (start of stall) as a reference point to start thinking about checking the meat. I do not foil, I cook until the probe slides in. This is gonna be at closer to 190ish. If you start at 9, which I would, you should be done around 3ish to 4ish. I would definitely foil and rest for at least 20 minutes.

I would not start poking your beef at 165 if that is what you are saying, you would loose a lot of juice like that.

I have found the center of the flat is the last spot to let go, so I put my probe there and dont even open the box until it hits 190.

Don't fuss it just let it cook.
Good luck

I have not experienced that Goose, but, your advice is spot on for what most would advise. I am trying to learn myself and want to get a feel for how the meat changes through the cook. And I tend to fuss with it.

Back