Looking for 26" Cooking Grates for Big UDS

wingnut

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm working on a 85 gallon UDS and I'm looking for a place where I can get some 26" grill grates. I heard Sears/Kmart had them, but apparently they don't sell them now.

I called Weber and they first asked me which grill I owned that needs replacement grates and at the time I didn't know which one takes the 26ers, and she wouldn't sell me one if I didn't own a grill needing one (something about liability since they don't know if the grate will be a safe distance from the heat source, blah, blah...) So, I know I can call back to Weber and get one if I say the right things, but is there a better (cheaper) source?

Also, I know about Norco's BUDS build thread, but it's old enough that the links to cooking grates for sale are now dead links. Has anyone done a 85 gal UDS recently? If so, where did you get your grates?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.

the biggest Weber I know of is the country kettle or something like that. Possibly a 26" grill? Otherwise if you know of a welding shop or a buddy with welding skills maybe you can have one made out of expanded metal and iron. would probably be cheaper than the Weber grate

Wingnut ,
Here is a post by STX Cue on a good thread about 85-96 g build UDS's
This price is still good I just called Weber this week and ordered two.
Attached is the thread from earlier in '09. Great info on a 85 UDS

The grate part number 71201 and that is $41.75 direct from Weber. You will have to tell them OVER and OVER that you have the part number or they will be asking for your grill model number, etc.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58307

Weber makes a 26 inch kettle. A few weeks ago they were out of the the 26 inch grates. I posted the part number a few weeks back here on the forum. I'll look for it again.

Wingnut ,
Here is a post by STX Cue on a good thread about 85-96 g build UDS's
This price is still good I just called Weber this week and ordered two.
Attached is the thread from earlier in '09. Great info on a 85 UDS

The grate part number 71201 and that is $41.75 direct from Weber. You will have to tell them OVER and OVER that you have the part number or they will be asking for your grill model number, etc.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58307

I have ordered from weber many times with just the part number. If I call up and when you get the customer service rep you say. "I'd like to order part number XXXX they will place the order and not give you any hassle.

why not just make your own? or, have a local metal shop make some!

The new part number for the 26 inch Weber Kettle grate is # 63039 and the price is $89.10...

The new part number for the 26 inch Weber Kettle grate is # 63039 and the price is $89.10...

Huh ?

I just ordered two #71201 26"grates from weber on Monday of this week for $41.75 ea

Maybe they have two different models.:-?

Huh ?

I just ordered two #71201 26"grates from weber on Monday of this week for $41.75 ea

Maybe they have two different models.:-?

Actually, they are two different model numbers. Two different sizes also...

One is 26 inches and one is 26 3/4...

Actually, they are two different model numbers. Two different sizes also...

One is 26 inches and one is 26 3/4...

So, which one fits an 85 gallon drum better? Does the smaller one leave too big of a gap?

$42 for a grill? that's highway robbery!

You won't think that, after cooking on a 26" grate!

I bought 2 of the Weber 26" chrome plated replacement grates for my 85 gallon drum. I know Hog-Que-Holic bought 6 of them for his three 96 gallon drums.

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

That's certainly a better price, but do you miss not having the handles? Do you just grab it by the gaps on the side, or have you rigged up a little handle on the grates? Thanks for the link. That's a good deal.

I just use the gaps in the sides. I've cooked 10 pork butts at one time in my XLUDS, 5 on each grate.

I just use the gaps in the sides. I've cooked 10 pork butts at one time in my XLUDS, 5 on each grate.

Do you have pics of this grate inside your drum . Amazon states it is 24". I am curious as to how it fits inside the 85 G drum. I am guessing you have about 1-1/2" gap.

Do you have pics of this grate inside your drum . Amazon states it is 24". I am curious as to how it fits inside the 85 G drum. I am guessing you have about 1-1/2" gap.

My guess is that 3/4" inch gaps along the edge of the grate in an 85 gallon drum looks pretty natural. :p

That's great that so much fits on there. I'm excited to upgrade from a 55 to a 85. I just picked up the brand new 85 from a company here in Utah for $100 just 10 minutes ago. It's soooo gorgeous inside! Perfect!

Back