MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:46 AM   #16
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut View Post
That's certainly a better price, but do you miss not having the handles? Do you just grab it by the gaps on the side, or have you rigged up a little handle on the grates? Thanks for the link. That's a good deal.
I just use the gaps in the sides. I've cooked 10 pork butts at one time in my XLUDS, 5 on each grate.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
Stlbbqstore
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I just use the gaps in the sides. I've cooked 10 pork butts at one time in my XLUDS, 5 on each grate.
Do you have pics of this grate inside your drum . Amazon states it is 24". I am curious as to how it fits inside the 85 G drum. I am guessing you have about 1-1/2" gap.
[COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Authorized Dealer[/FONT][/B][/COLOR] for Yoder Smokers /RipTangle Smokers / Humphrey's Smokers / Backwoods Smokers / Shirley Fab / T&K Smokers / Gateway Drum Smokers /Meadow Creek / Camp Chef / Alfa Ovens / Green Mountain Grills / Kamado Joe / Memphis Grills / PK Grills / Blaze Gas Grills / Pit Barrel Cooker
[COLOR="Black"][B]Visit our Website[/B][/COLOR] - [URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.stlbbqstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR="Black"][B]Like us on Facebook[/B] - [/COLOR][URL="https://[URL="http://www.stlbbqstore.com"]www.facebook.com/stlbbqstore[/URL]
Stlbbqstore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #18
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMI View Post
Do you have pics of this grate inside your drum . Amazon states it is 24". I am curious as to how it fits inside the 85 G drum. I am guessing you have about 1-1/2" gap.
My guess is that 3/4" inch gaps along the edge of the grate in an 85 gallon drum looks pretty natural.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:00 PM   #19
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : WingNut

That's great that so much fits on there. I'm excited to upgrade from a 55 to a 85. I just picked up the brand new 85 from a company here in Utah for $100 just 10 minutes ago. It's soooo gorgeous inside! Perfect!
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
hath
On the road to being a farker

what company did you get your 85g from in Utah?
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM   #21
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hath View Post
what company did you get your 85g from in Utah?
I got it from these guys:

Wasatch Supply & Barrel, Inc.
2070 South 4250 West
Salt Lake City, UT
(801) 363-1933

Wasatch seems to have the best prices I have found locally for NEW UNLINED 85's ($100)

Quality Container (801) 977-0770 has the best prices I have found on NEW UNLINED 55's ($56.84).

If you want used or reconditioned 55's, I'd go with MBC Inc, (801) 282-4050. They have used unlined for $24.04 and reconditioned unlined for $35.17. Ask for Mark or Tammy.

After going through 5 or 6 barrel burns to remove the epoxy lining, I decided I had enough and I'm going unlined from now on. It's worth it to me to spend a little more money and save a lot of time and effort.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #22
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

So, for everyone's info, the 85 gallon drum that I got measures just under 26 inches diameter inside (25 15/16 I'd say) and 38 inches inside height.

So, can I stuff 3 grates in there? I'm thinking 2 is all I can do with 38 inches, but that's still cool since I'm maintaining the flat-top true UDS look. Although maybe my basket doesn't need to be as tall as usual and maybe I can stuff 3 in (I've been making my baskets 10 inches tall) since it will be 18" diameter basket, which is wider than the standard 13.5".

Hmmm... What say ye?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #23
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStomach View Post
My guess is that 3/4" inch gaps along the edge of the grate in an 85 gallon drum looks pretty natural.
Really? Make sure your bolts are long enough. Not all drums are created equal.

The Weber grate is 24 3/4" across.

Just sayin'

I have 5" grate clearance, the same as the BDS 2739-2
http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #24
IronStomach
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Really? Make sure your bolts are long enough. Not all drums are created equal.

The Weber grate is 24 3/4" across.

Just sayin'

I have 5" grate clearance, the same as the BDS 2739-2
http://bigdrumsmokers.com/smokers.htm
Err, yours looks like it was made for it. What's your point? I was trying to point out that 2" on a diameter is only 1" on each side of a radius. Not a life threatening issue considering most people don't lean their food up against the wall of the drum anyway.

But thanks for posting more pictures: those always help.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #25
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStomach View Post
Err, yours looks like it was made for it. What's your point? I was trying to point out that 2" on a diameter is only 1" on each side of a radius. Not a life threatening issue considering most people don't lean their food up against the wall of the drum anyway.

But thanks for posting more pictures: those always help.

Just making some minor points, as I think people are looking for 26" grates to fit inside a drum and Weber has 2 sizes for the 26" kettle, the OTG stainless grates are a little larger than the old style chrome plated replacements.

Hog-Que Holic bought some 24" grates from some outfit and he didn't like the fit in his 96 gallon BDS 2743 Jumbo clones-so he sent them back and got the Webers. I liked the fit and after cooking on his drums I went out the next day and bought an 85 gallon myself and never looked back.

Now if the 24" grates work fine for Bigmista-I ain't knockin' them! I consider Neil one of my drum smoker mentors, so go on ahead and save a few $$ and buy those, I'm sure everyone will be satisfied.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
hath
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I got it from these guys:

Wasatch Supply & Barrel, Inc.
2070 South 4250 West
Salt Lake City, UT
(801) 363-1933

Wasatch seems to have the best prices I have found locally for NEW UNLINED 85's ($100)

Quality Container (801) 977-0770 has the best prices I have found on NEW UNLINED 55's ($56.84).

If you want used or reconditioned 55's, I'd go with MBC Inc, (801) 282-4050. They have used unlined for $24.04 and reconditioned unlined for $35.17. Ask for Mark or Tammy.

After going through 5 or 6 barrel burns to remove the epoxy lining, I decided I had enough and I'm going unlined from now on. It's worth it to me to spend a little more money and save a lot of time and effort.

Thanks Wingnut.. ill check these out. do you know if they sell 95 gallon drums?
hath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2010, 10:16 PM   #27
swamprb

Quote:
Go big!

Grainger has brand new Salvage Overpack drums.

110 gallon 30"ID x 42" H for $345.75! Cheaper than a BDS!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/catalogPDF.shtml

Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #28
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
You're welcome. Nope they don't stock bigger than 85's. They said they could get them but they'd be almost double the cost to go from an 85 to a 96. Maybe there's another place to get one of those. Grainger is a possibility, but they're barrels are pricey IMO.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #29
wingnut
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Go big!

Grainger has brand new Salvage Overpack drums.

110 gallon 30"ID x 42" H for $345.75! Cheaper than a BDS!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/catalogPDF.shtml

Wow, LOL 110 gallon would be rad!

Old 01-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #30
swamprb

Quote:
Wow, LOL 110 gallon would be rad!
Start looking for a 30" grate!