Cast Iron Article

pmad

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Here is an article on cast iron.

It dispels some of the myths regarding usage and maintenance.

I love that it says, "I was reading in The Grapes of Wrath [how] Ma Joad carried a cast-iron skillet across the Dust Bowl. You think of the pioneers going across the Plains, if they had a cast-iron skillet they weren’t worried about using special techniques to clean it or the right type of salt to scrub it. They would throw it in a creek.”
“It’s incredibly durable cookware. I think it’s almost ironic that cast iron has gotten this perception as being very hard to maintain because it is truthfully one of the easiest things you can own.”

I have the cast iron skillet of my youth. It went through a 30 year period of neglect by non use before I got it back. If I didn’t know the history and was a pawn thrift sale piece I wouldn’t have give $5 for it. Hardest piece I’ve ever brought back into service. It’s my most used now. Sits out 24/7/365. I have quite a bit of CI but only two heirloom pieces. The skillet and wife’s grandma DO. Both out ready to use. I asked my mother how she prepped CI and her answer was simple. Wash it use it oil it. Never leave wet. That skillet was used breakfast lunch & supper . I learned to chicken fry venison,fry bologna etc. I don’t neglect nor abuse my cast iron but Ill put in fire oven coals.

My mother-in-law had a cast iron she used all the time. She loved it when the kids went camping and washed it out with sand in a stream. That was the best cleaning it got.

Thats how we cleaned ours when camping:becky:

“It’s incredibly durable cookware. I think it’s almost ironic that cast iron has gotten this perception as being very hard to maintain because it is truthfully one of the easiest things you can own.”

I have a few “ERIE” cast iron pieces from circa late 1880’s that attest to the durability and timeless beauty of the craft.

The main things you can do to 'hurt' cast iron is either overheat it so it warps and won't work on a smooth cooktop anymore or crack it. Most rust is superficial and easily dealt with. YMMV.

Cast iron first got my attention when I dug a CI skillet out of our backyard when I was in 3rd grade & we cleaned it and started using it. I think my folks still use it.

I have two of the skillets that my Mom used. Later she let my kids use them as sandbox toys. Mud pies etc. When I finally got them they were in sad shape. Now some of my best.

I have some Lodge pans that are used on my kettles. Higher heat. Getting better all the time...

I don't jump through hoops with my cast iron. There has never been a single grain of salt put in any pan I own to try and clean the thing. I use a stainless scrubber and cold water. Yes, you can use soap & you can use hot water...I understand...but I choose not to.

I also do not dry it on the range, nor do I typically have to oil it for protection. By using cold water, there is normally plenty of oil left on it for protection...and I just wipe them dry with a towel.

I use them daily, and that's my routine. I don't have time for special care...and my pans are in as good a shape, and cook as good as anyone's.

I started to get nostalgic, but here's the shorter version. My first CI pan was a 14th birthday gift - a new, non-vintage 9" Wagner. I know most folks would look at it as Chinese junk, but it cooks great. It's been everywhere with me, never been pampered, and mostly washed with just water and a rag. At times, it was the only cookware I owned. That little pan is still my favorite piece of CI and has been in regular use for over 30 years now.

I too have a large CI collection, and a member of The Wagner & Griswold Society.

These are my “brag” pieces and every CI collector has them and will gloriously mention them in a post related to CI...it’s a rule.

I have a couple of ERIE Griswold skillets that are over 100, I also have a skillet that I use to cook cornbread in and NOTHING else. I also have a complete set of vintage Wagner skillets from #3-14 with Dutch Oven. I also have quite a few non set pieces and newer Lodge skillets and Dutch Ovens.

Even though these are my “brag” pieces, they get used often, some more than others; but I use soap on them, GASP! (not the cornbread one though)
I only remember to wipe them with a little oil every once in a while.
I have even left the newer Dutch Oven in the sink to soak overnight filled with water...THE HORROR!!

The reason soap was the enemy of CI was naphtha and phosphates. Even one wash with soap containing these was death for the seasoning. Dish soap doesn’t have these anymore, so it’s no big deal. The only real enemy these days is rust and neglect, but even they can be recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back