Long shot but you guys know this tree?

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've seen some very mixed responses to posts like this especially the ones I've posted years ago... But u know I gotta try.. Had an ice storm and had a huge tree fall in my yard.. I've been told 100% its white oak.. but knowing people around here and my source for this information I'm not 100% sure.

Would like to see what you guys know about it from these pictures before I bust my butt cutting this tree up for my smoker.. If its something I shouldn't bother with then I know people willing to do the work for free for the heating wood.. But it seems to be oak from what I know about tree's.. but I know zip about tree's so my opinion doesn't matter.

jV7jcwYl.jpg

xIvq1Gzl.jpg

VKMNiFnl.jpg

1gmS0j3l.jpg

The dead giveaway for oak, at least for me, is if there's acorns on the ground and the shape of the leaves.

Pecan should still have some fruit shells hanging at the end of the branches.

I think there's something to that red coloration in the very middle, it seems I recall that's a characteristic of oak.

But leaves and the nuts it produces is the only way I can tell for sure.

The dead giveaway for oak, at least for me, is if there's acorns on the ground and the shape of the leaves.

Pecan should still have some fruit shells hanging at the end of the branches.

I think there's something to that red coloration in the very middle, it seems I recall that's a characteristic of oak.

But leaves and the nuts it produces is the only way I can tell for sure.

I'm with oak.

Ok here's the most confusing part about this whole thing! I don't ever remember seeing akorns, nuts from this tree! now we do live in the woods, so there's lots of wild life from squirrels to whatever.. So very good possibility why I don't see nuts from it.. I have two apple tree's.. and I can't even keep apples on them long enough to harvest. LOL

My first guess would be red oak. Red oak often has that fine moss on its bark and the core can have a red hue when split. If you find any acorns or leaves we can ID it more positively as said above.

Red oak has small acorns and the leaves have sharper points on the sides. White oak has larger acorns, the leaves have very rounded side lobes, and normally has a more scaly bark than this tree. I don’t think it is white oak. Good luck.

It doesn’t look like any of the Red or White oak I’ve split and I’ve got piles of it.

Could you get a closer pick of the split piece?

As others have mentioned... are there any old leaves on it or on the ground near it?

Looks like hickory especially the heart wood. If its stringy when split its hickory.

It's impossible to tell species from the photos. The split surfaces don't look quite right for oak. Looks closer to hickory, as Sopchoppy suggested, but we can't really be sure from the pics. However, it does look like a good hardwood of some sort, so I'd go ahead and cook with it if I were you.

Hickory in the midwest has a real peely bark. Real dark bark with a lot of peeling.

I have tow kinds of hickory on my property, Shellbark and another one that looks just like your pics, pignut I think. I'd go ahead and split it up. in WV it's unlikely to be anything bad.

I think Mikhail is right, it's hickory. I just got some the other day and it looks the same..

I have tow kinds of hickory on my property, Shellbark and another one that looks just like your pics, pignut I think. I'd go ahead and split it up. in WV it's unlikely to be anything bad.

This is what I thought as well, but didn’t comment because I couldn’t 100% tell. I have pignut as well. Half get nuts and half don’t.

Definitely not an Oak.

Looks like Hickory, probably Pignut, not Shagbark.

Back