MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:32 AM   #1
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!
Default 270 Smoker Sumo problem need some ideas

Lets be perfectly clear from the get go this is not a thread about saying how great 270 is or how dumb I am or vice versa. Blah blah don't care. Save it.
I am looking to solve my own issue. Thats it. So please be civil. No bashing anyone including the manufacturer or myself thanks.
So at this point I have contacted the manufacturer which unfortunately has not lead to a resolution. It is what it is.
I have a very weird staining or chemical reaction that has caused letters from the official 270 Smokers cover to imprint themself on the powdercoat.
So far I have tried krud kutter, simple green, dawn soap diluted, and denatured alcohol.
Any ideas how to remove this staining?
Oh yeah dont use simple green. 270 only approves krud kutter. Pretty much blamed my use of simple green as why it did that... Even though the cover was put on when it was cold and also dry. All I am saying is if you use anything but krud kutter you are up chit creek. So don't screw yourself.
As I am on my own I am open to suggestions.

Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 06:44 AM   #2
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Acetone and xylene makes a pretty effective stain/gunk remover. You will want thick rubber gloves, it will dissolve the thin nitrile/latex gloves.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #3
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschoen View Post
Acetone and xylene makes a pretty effective stain/gunk remover. You will want thick rubber gloves, it will dissolve the thin nitrile/latex gloves.
Ok I will give that a try. Are you mixing them or using them seperate?

Old 09-15-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Mixed, but you could try the xylene straight, it is a strong solvent, if that fails mix 50/50 with the acetone. Both products should be available at the borg.

Good luck!
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #5
Westx
is One Chatty Farker

Turtle wax polishing compound may work on it. I have used it on my Humphrey’s to buff some stains out.
Assassin 36” Pellet Grill
LSG Mini on reversed comp cart
LSG 20”x36” pellet grill
Wes
Westx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #6
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westx View Post
Turtle wax polishing compound may work on it. I have used it on my Humphrey’s to buff some stains out.
I was thinking about that. Its a rather unique textured powder coat. So not sure how it would react.
I might give it a go but will be doing some research first.
Worse come to worse I get it redone by someone else. I am thinking a dark green main body and black doors.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

I'd go with a fairly aggressive polishing compound. My thoughts are that acetone will remove not only the stain but the powder coating as well. If you were to use acetone I'd certainly test in an area that's not visible.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

It's hard to tell from your small pics, but I had what appears to be pretty much the exact same spotting on mine except it was on the top of the cooker. So no letters transferred to the paint, but the stain looks identical.

I assumed it was from water sitting on top of the cover. When it rained, water would pool in a particular area of the top of cover every time. I noticed a faint washed out area where the water would sit.

Just as aside, I never cleaned my cooker with anything but a rag and water.

I don't really know how to help, but I don't think it was caused by simple green.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #9
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
It's hard to tell from your small pics, but I had what appears to be pretty much the exact same spotting on mine except it was on the top of the cooker. So no letters transferred to the paint, but the stain looks identical.

I assumed it was from water sitting on top of the cover. When it rained, water would pool in a particular area of the top of cover every time. I noticed a faint washed out area where the water would sit.

Just as aside, I never cleaned my cooker with anything but a rag and water.

I don't really know how to help, but I don't think it was caused by simple green.
Really interesting. Thanks for posting. I appreciate that alot. Confirms what I think. There is likely an issue. Now keep in mind I have already been told its outside of the warranty. Also my using simple green as not an approved cleaner so I am up chit creek. So not going to get anywhere with 270 Smokers at this point. Mainly just looking to get this fixed myself.

Any other 270 Smokers owners have an issue? Just was wondering.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #10
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Messaged the link to the folks at 270 Smokers. Thought this might be of interest to them. Again i am not smearing them. Just looking for a solution. Thought it might help them to copy them on the topic to prevent future issues. Again I am out of warranty and simple green is not an approved cleaner. So I am fully aware I am up chit creek.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #11
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Are you certain that is a stain that can be removed? If the powdercoat got discolored or bleached by a chemical reaction it may be that way permanently and no amount of cleaning products will remove it.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 02:42 PM   #12
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFokker View Post
Are you certain that is a stain that can be removed? If the powdercoat got discolored or bleached by a chemical reaction it may be that way permanently and no amount of cleaning products will remove it.
Yeah i really am not sure. It may need to get redone as in getting it powdercoated.
I am trying to explore options right now and see if I can do something. I never had anything powder coated. So not sure what to expect for the cost. So right now I am assuming its a stain. It very well could be permanent.
Once I have tried every idea then I may explore getting a powder coater to redo the finish.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #13
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I kind of assumed mine was permanently faded. It didn't bother me too much as it was on top, but it didn't strike me as something that could be scrubbed away. I really like the factory paint job on the 270s.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #14
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
I kind of assumed mine was permanently faded. It didn't bother me too much as it was on top, but it didn't strike me as something that could be scrubbed away. I really like the factory paint job on the 270s.
I loved my smoker. Its a great design. The issue is the cover for some reason has imprinted itself on the smoker. Right on the door. Alot of times with paint you can actually use certain compounds to remove imperfections. Powder coat is a different animal. You got to be careful as its easy to go right through it. What makes this one difficult is the finish.
If it was plain old paint I would already have it out and polished like glass.
I would have already used a polishing compound but it may wear through the powder coat. It is an abrassive. Heck if it was smooth powder coat it would be easier. The textured stuff looks cool but imo is hard to restore because of the texture. Polishing compound is supposed to smooth out rough surfaces such as imperfections.
I think something is wrong with the cover causing the problem not necessarily the powdercoat. For some reason sitting in the sun caused it to react or stain.
I really don't think Simple Green is the culprit.
As the warranty is expired nothing says they have to fix it. So up chit creek.
I have decided to try to fix it. If not I will get the powder coat redone in the future. Maybe trade up to something else.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:11 PM   #15
Red Valley BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sean

What you have is some sort of moisture stain. I know because I have a couple on mine when I tried to clean it when it was still warm. I am guessing some sort of moisture got on the cloth inside of your cover (from laying on the ground, rain, etc.) and didn't notice it when you put the cover on. As the sun beat down on the black part of the cover if left a stain as the moisture was evaporating. Very much like when you place something hot directly on a polished dining room table and it leaves that hazy mark that doesn't go away. This is not a manufacturing/powder coating defect. It can simply be left as something that just happened, and knowing you Tom, it was definitely not intentional. I can tell that you have taken good care of that cooker when I stopped Thursday night.

I have been talking to the manufacturer about this issue and will try some potential solutions on mine to see if they work. Bashing the manufacturer one week from making them aware of the issue isn't cool. You have to give them time to possibly replicate the issue and find a solution. It's not as if the paint has peeled off and exposed the metal, it is a very mild discolor cosmetic issue and has no effect on how the cooker works, so I would think that you could be patient.