• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Electric smoker questions

You can check the Cookshack forums. Still quite a few people that frequent it, but it's been pretty quiet since the old moderator left. Smokin Okie, he used to be on here as well. And Cookshack changed the forum software for the worse. Looks more like a blog than a forum. But you'll see a very passionate group of people who love their Cookshack's. Awesome fish smoker BTW.

https://forum.cookshack.com/

But you stick by your statement that the flavor profile is lighter than pellets? That would be a deal breaker as I don’t want lighter than pellets. Sorry for questions ad-nauseum... just would hate to regret a purchase like this.

Smoke flavor on Electric Smokers is much more pronounced than Pellets, once my electric smoker is well seasoned I would not use any wood chunks at all for Poultry, the cooker was enough.

If you want to move up in capacity and not give up on flavor/color that are used to in your MAK, look for a used FEC-100. Cookshack sells "used" units that have been on display at a food show or used once in a class for 20% or more off of retail.

Eight, 16 pound Turkeys here!

IMG_0182 by David Miller, on

Nice Smoke Ring on dry rub ribs here.

Dry Rub Rib Sliced 5-19 by David Miller, on Flickr

I would look at the pellet pro insulated cabinet personally. Can fit 16 pork butts on that thing

I would look at the pellet pro insulated cabinet personally. Can fit 16 pork butts on that thing

I love what I see in the Pellet Pro with the exception of a large temp variance between bottom/top grate. Yes, I could shuffle around... and perhaps this would be a safer/better move than an electric as I already know how much I love pellet cooking. Still thinking... [emoji848]

I love what I see in the Pellet Pro with the exception of a large temp variance between bottom/top grate. Yes, I could shuffle around... and perhaps this would be a safer/better move than an electric as I already know how much I love pellet cooking. Still thinking... [emoji848]

No matter what, we all have to "learn" our equipment, and how to run it to suit our end result.

Still thinking is a great thing.

Have you looked at what the successful commercial suppliers are doing and using? Most won't divulge certain aspects to their success. But most do use electric (some gas) to get consistent product. And highly accurate temperature control.
I like looking at what the "Big Boys" are doing, then see how I can size it to my little backyard "kitchen."

IMHO, I do not think adding the variables of wood fired (Including pellets) will get you that kind of consistent result.
I turn a critical eye towards the consistency, or inconsistencies, of pellet manufacturing. And solid wood (stick) can be widely variable.

I think I like my results, but I can be variable, too. :laugh:

For what it is worth, I did like the flavor of the electric smoker (Masterbuilt electric smoker) over my other charcoal smokers I’ve tried. I may just not be a charcoal fan lol. Electric smokers definitely put more smoke on the meat than pellet but you don’t get a good bark or smoke ring due to the low amount of combustion gases and the high humidity. It definitely puts out good food though. I do think you will prefer the flavor of pellet. If the pellet pro is not an option then Maybe look for a used cook shack pellet. Even used you should still get a decade or longer of use out of them. They are built to the same quality standards as restaurant smokers that pretty much run non stop.

Back