MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Default Kosmos is Intense

I'm mixing up my first batch of Kosmos brisket injection with a strong beef broth. 3/4 cup to 2 cups broth seemed like a lot so I tasted the mixture with only 1/2 cup Kosmos. It almost knocked my backwards. Like a boy nipping at this fathers liquor cabinet for the first time.

It's got the consistency of gravy and is super salty, but I know injections need to be strong.

All the threads I've read on Kosmos, I've never seen someone talk about how strong it is. Does this sound normal?
Vision is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try mixing it with water...3/4 cup injection to 16 oz. water...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Boshizzle

^^^ Yeah, what JD said.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
thirdeye

Well, that's definitely descriptive... which is good, but not off base by any means. Yes, it's strong when first mixed up.

ALL injections, marinades & brines are strong. Professional injections are no exception. One thing you have to take into account is the cooking time. 10, 12 0r 15 hours on the pit mellows the meat, and also the injection. In fact, the professional injections need more time than the store-bought "flavor" injections.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

dont change it unless maybe low sodium broth. thick and salty is natural.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #6
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Does anybody mix spices/rubs or anything else in the mixture? Is it not needed when using these professional injections?
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Does anybody mix spices/rubs or anything else in the mixture? Is it not needed when using these professional injections?
only change the liquid you mix with. if you add seasoning you will be sorry. just mix with water first time and you will know what it mean.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

The one time I injected a brisket with Kosmos and beef broth it turned out absolutely atrocious. Easily the worst brisket I ever cooked. My experiments with Kosmos prior to that using only the mix plus water were good. I haven't injected my briskets in well over a year and I still have a whole lot of Kosmos. Salt, pepper, meat and smoke. That's all you really need. I think we like to over complicate things sometimes.
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
steve6402
On the road to being a farker

I only inject when cooking a flat, not a full packer. should I . but I also love the over cooked brisket that falls apart and I shoot for that..... am I off base ???
steve6402 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Try mixing it with water...3/4 cup injection to 16 oz. water...
Thanks guys! I made up a fresh batch with only water and will see what happens. Even with water it's very strong.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
JD McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision View Post
Thanks guys! I made up a fresh batch with only water and will see what happens. Even with water it's very strong.
Keep diluting it until you get the taste you want...just remember your ratio...lol!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #12
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

If I inject using the ratio mentioned above, will I get a brisket you can eat, or will it produce one that is overly flavored for comps?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
JD McGee

Which ratio! If you follow the directions on the packet it is geared toward comps...for one to two bites...so it is gonna be a little more intense than backyard bbq.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 AM   #14
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I do. I run my rub through a spice grinder until it is a powder. Then I mix it with the Kosmo's. When I dont use my Outlaw Rub I use the Kosmo's Cow Cover.
[B]The BBQ Equipment Store[/B]
[URL="http://www.BBQEQUIPMENTSTORE.COM/?sourceCode=bbq-brethren"]www.bbqequipmentstore.com[/URL]
[COLOR=red][B][COLOR=red][B]Proud 2015 Sponsor of Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling[/B][/COLOR][/B]
[/COLOR]No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Which ratio! If you follow the directions on the packet it is geared toward comps...for one to two bites...so it is gonna be a little more intense than backyard bbq.
3/4 cup injection to 16 oz. water. Too intense for backyard bbq?

Also, does this stuff have meat tenderizer in it? I was planning on injecting and letting it sit overnight.