• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Sauce for Brisket

EverettBBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know that this will cause a issue of to sauce or not to sauce brisket :blah:

If you do like sauce on your brisket, burnt ends or slices, what's your favorite sauce to use:decision:

Thanks!

I am not a big fan of sauce for sliced brisket. I do, however, enjoy a nice creamy horseradish (sp?)

As far as burnt ends go, after tenderizing mine, I prefer to glaze with a sweet, spicy sauce that we use to glaze ribs. Gives that candy burst but isnt too much to take away the beefy greatness of the brisket

Blues Hog Regular and Blues Hog Tenn. Red is pretty solid.

50/50

I start with Sweet Baby Rays and doctor the chit out of it. I call it Paula Deen sause cause I put a bunch of butter in it anlong with oter stuff. It is sweet and savory and people that don't like spice love it, I use other spice on top like HDD or Ghost pepper powder (now Crucible) to get the kick I want.

Sauce sparingly on brisket for me.

Something sweet on burnt ends. And if you insist on saucing the slices, something savory like Head Country is a good choice.

Texans...take a deep breathe and :tape: :-D

Fountaines!

Fountaine’s Sauce Recipe*
By Fred Fountaine Pitmaster
Louie Muller BBQ

1 quart (32 ounces) catsup
3 quarts water
2 onions the size of baseballs, cut up fine (use 1 ½ if they are the size of softballs)
2 beef bullion cubes
2 tablespoons salt, or to taste
¼ cup black pepper, or to taste
In large pan, combine all ingredients, going gently with salt and pepper first.
Bring to boil over high heat and boil vigorously 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low, tast and correct seasonings, and let simmer 40 minutes longer. At end, increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil again. Then it’s done. Bottle in clean bottle or jars and store in refrigerator. Makes about two quarts.

Last edited:
If I am going to serve a brisket to the unknowing heathens ( ie: local guests without a clue) then I make my own sauce recipe and water it down a bit. It is creamy smooth and a bit spicy. ( made with red pepper and Tabasco as seasonings. ) Love it on ribs and pulled pork sammies, but my brisket goes nekkid when the wife and I eat it.

Blessings,

Omar

For sliced brisket, I'm a sauce dipper if I use sauce at all. I like my homemade which I think of as Texas meets Memphis as it's peppery with a good vinegar kick and not super sweet. I'll also doctor Sweet Baby Ray's with black pepper, chile powder, vinegar, and mustard if I don't have homemade or am being lazy. I'm a fan of Black's, Interstate, and Golden Pride in Albuquerque's sauce on brisket when I want to sauce it. Mostly, I'd say I'm about 75% no sauce to 25% sauce dipping on brisket and short ribs.

Burnt Ends get a thinned down version of one of the above usually before heading back to the pit or oven.

I take a sauce like Blues Hog original or Sweet Baby Ray's and cut it with my Tennessee red, butter, and brisket drippings that pour out of my butcher paper and when I slice......it ends up tasting like rich, buttery, liquid brisket, so it's not a completely different flavor, and people usually freak out about how awesome it is. That said.....I don't put it on mine when I eat it.

Nothing wrong with sauce on brisket brother. For slices I like most any sauce thinned with the brisket juice. Sauce on the slices makes the flat so much better for me as by itself can be bland. Burnt ends I won't thin the sauce and like something spicy.

Stubbs Original slightly thinned. :heh:

Sweet is for Pork. ( I like Sweet Baby Rays thinned for pig)

what ever you use, for my taste, it needs some bitterness and plenty of pepper. Whether you squeeze a lemon in it, or use powdered citric acid.

Personally, I am fond of Stubbs spicy or even regular. Love Franklin's Q but not his sauces. But NEVER on the meat. Whatever sauce you of your family likes, serve it on the side for people to choose themselves. The meat should be able to stand on its own.

Back