MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #1
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

Default Whole shoulder on a uds?

Since I’ve upgraded to the hunsaker, and it’s been kicking some butt (pun slightly intended) I was thinking of doing a whole shoulder for a party this fall. More than likely will get one from compart duroc since their Easter ham was easily best ham I’ve ever had.

Didn’t know if anyone has tried doing a whole shoulder on a uds before? I’m thinking it might be a tight fit, but then again I’ve also seen pictures of three butts on a rack before too.

Old 06-23-2021, 04:13 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

This one is in the 17# range. I've done 2 at once, and that is a tight fit but still doable. I like to spin the rack a few times and I'm not afraid of wrapping the butt in a damp towel and/or foil to protect it.

What are your injection plans? One school of thought is to shoot as much as they will hold, being especially generous around the arm bones in the picnic and shank. PS - sample the shank before deciding to share any of that meat.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #3
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post

This one is in the 17# range. I've done 2 at once, and that is a tight fit but still doable. I like to spin the rack a few times and I'm not afraid of wrapping the butt in a damp towel and/or foil to protect it.

What are your injection plans? One school of thought is to shoot as much as they will hold, being especially generous around the arm bones in the picnic and shank. PS - sample the shank before deciding to share any of that meat.
Why?
Just curious.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #4
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I did an 11lb picnic roast and 9lb butt on my UDS with a 22in grate. I looked for the photo but evidently I no longer have it. It worked just fine and made some awesome pulled pork.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2021, 09:41 PM   #5
thirdeye

Quote:
PS - sample the shank before deciding to share any of that meat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
Why?
Just curious.
I guess I farked up the context on my PS. What I was trying to say was that.... it's likely the meat in the shank will be so delicious you might want to cull it out all for yourself (or you and the other cooks). Kind of like pickin' on the belly strip of a whole hog before the crowd has a chance to get at it.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-23-2021, 09:46 PM   #6
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I don’t do picnics often, but the times I do the shank meat is definitely my favorite part. I too was a little confused by the PS.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:02 PM   #7
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I guess I farked up the context on my PS. What I was trying to say was that.... it's likely the meat in the shank will be so delicious you might want to cull it out all for yourself (or you and the other cooks). Kind of like pickin' on the belly strip of a whole hog before the crowd has a chance to get at it.
Ahhh...Chef's choice.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #8
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

Now that I know it will fit.... I planned on injecting ‘butcher bbq pork injection’ and will probably do a combo rub oh meat church honey hog hot and something else, but what that is idk yet. I’m up for recommendations.

Instead of spritzing, I will probably do a vinegar based mop of distilled vinegar, lemon, red chili flakes, black peppercorns, and maybe some herbs

For the wrap I’ll probably do butter, brown sugar, and another application of rub.

For sauce, I’ll be doing what has been working for me. 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 buschhhhhhhhhhhhh latte, 50/50 sweet baby rays and open pit, and some rub that went on the meat that day.

How long did your 17# take and at what temp? I’ve heard 1 hr per lb at 225 but the hunsaker likes 275-300.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:29 AM   #9
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

I guess I’m shooting for the balance of “the best pulled pork ever” and “authentic pit style bbq” from a drum

Old 06-24-2021, 08:21 AM   #10
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
I knew what you were getting at

Old 06-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s View Post
Now that I know it will fit.... I planned on injecting ‘butcher bbq pork injection’ and will probably do a combo rub oh meat church honey hog hot and something else, but what that is idk yet. I’m up for recommendations.

Instead of spritzing, I will probably do a vinegar based mop of distilled vinegar, lemon, red chili flakes, black peppercorns, and maybe some herbs

For the wrap I’ll probably do butter, brown sugar, and another application of rub.

For sauce, I’ll be doing what has been working for me. 1/2 stick butter, 1/2 buschhhhhhhhhhhhh latte, 50/50 sweet baby rays and open pit, and some rub that went on the meat that day.

How long did your 17# take and at what temp? I’ve heard 1 hr per lb at 225 but the hunsaker likes 275-300.
Add some hot sauce to your sauce mix and it could make for a really good wing sauce as well.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:31 AM   #12
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

Oooo now with that hot sauce now you’re talking! Too bad I have a toddler at home and don’t want to scare her with spicy foods yet. But a touch to add some tang would be good!

Old 06-24-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmorrow2s View Post

Last questions first - I like (and still do) cook shoulders at 225°-245°, so mine are in the 1 hour per pound timeframe. You will get a feel for what is happening about halfway through the cook and can adjust your pit accordingly.

I used to wing my injections until I read this post from Andy (who I think was on the Dizzy Pig crew) these are some good tips, and this is a great injection

August 22, 2006 posted by NightHelp
Don't take the skin off! I've done a couple hundred whole shoulders and have never taken the skin off. Trim it a little skin off the butt end to get more bark but for sure leave as much skin as possible around the hock. 25 pounds is from one BIG hog! Treat it with love and it will return the favor. Nothing beats a whole shoulder in my book. When you render that much fat, the product will blow your mind. Inject it until you can't get anymore into it. Use apple juice, chicken broth, a little beer, melted butter, worsestershustershire, and some rub. Mix well and have at it. Try to get a lot of the liquid into the hock and the butt end. Let it rest a few then rub it good, getting the rub into as many crevices as you can. Cutting in extra crevices is a nice trick. Bark is good. Cook skin side down with a bunch of your wood of choice (mine is 50/50 white oak and pig nut hickory)at no more than 230* dome temp. You only need enough wood to burn for the first 2 or 3 hours. When the internal hits 200*(about 20 - 24 hours), remove from the egg and let it cool enough to pull. You will be rewarded with Miss White's Delights and Mr. Brown Goes to Town. Only possible from a whole shoulder. The cook's portion (that you don't have to share) is the meat around the hock. Nothing on this planet comes close.
Andy

Along about that time a competition cook told me he used ham stock and soda pop for pork injection. I modified that to stock made from smoked neck bones and found I liked Coca-Cola bottled in Mexico best (they still use cane sugar). I use Minor's Pork Base to give the stock more body. My mix is 60% stock, 40% Coke. I still like this a lot. I've never used Butcher's, but used FAB from Joe Ames. I'm currently testing BPS Pork Prod.

Your vinegar mop sounds good. Using some Wish-Bone Italian as your base is an option, and jazz it up. Wish-Bone just seems to work with barbecue meats. I'm not much of a sauce guy, so I make mine thin and don't use much. go with your gut and your tastes on this one.

You can get a visual of some of the tips I mentioned from this Malcom Reed video.

https://youtu.be/QWPpfjAuii8

Pay attention to the muscle groups he injects. He uses a towel on the hock, and I like one on the butt end too for part of the cook because of the raised direct action of a drum. And most importantly, watch at the end during the break down. If you learn one thing.... this is the way to break down a pork butt or shoulder. One muscle group at a time and move them to a platter. The meat he calls the 'false cap' is also called the bacon by some and it it delicious, it might be 3/8" thick between layers of fat, so it's easy to miss.

You might know your butt geography, if not.... this cross section I've labeled will help when injecting and separating. The 'bacon' is labeled and you can see how hard it can be to find.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #14
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

That won't be an issue. I did three butts on the rack in my 55gallon for a party. They were good.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #15
jsmorrow2s
Full Fledged Farker

Alright, I had it all planned out. Was going to do it all malcom reed style and bbq right ;) but now chudds new YouTube video makes me want to leave all the skin on and do it pit style on the uds.

Decisions decisions