Red Box Smoker - Help me decide

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Last year I came pretty close to getting Red Box Smoker, but held off. It's just me and my wife nowadays as the kids are moved out. My wife doesn't eat much meat anymore, so usually it's just me cooking a treat for me.

Over the years, I've had a lot of different smokers - Kamado, Charcoal, Electric, UDS, and multiple pellet smokers. I've never had an insulated cabinet smoker - its the only type of smoker (I think) I've never owned or used.

Right now, as far as smokers go, I have a Mak 1-Star (Rwalters Inspired) and a GMG Davy Crockett. I tend to use the Davy Crockett almost 100% nowadays as I'm just making small batches. I know, why don't I use the Mak? I love the Mak, but to me it's like driving the Limo to the corner grocery store to buy a carton of milk. I save it for when I really need the capacity and want to show off when I've got a group of people over (Pre-Covid).

So, the Red Box possibility popped in my head again. The cost would be $350 delivered to my house. I see Mark's got some new videos out there and he's even doing multiple racks of ribs and brisket. However, some of the videos he's using a BBQ Guru, which would add at least another $250 or so to the unit, making it nearly a $600 unit. I want to know how good it is as the $350 unit.

To all the Red Box owners out there, running it stock, does it do a good job on rack of Beef Short Ribs? How about a regular pork spareribs and babyback ribs? And of course, has anyone done a Brisket hot and fast in it? (I know the brisket would need to be separated to fit). Help me decide. Thanks!

I've given that little rascal a look more than a few times. I could never bring myself to pull the trigger and that's saying something because I have an itchy trigger finger. I like small cookers, but I couldn't find anything that made me need this one.

Once upon a time..... I helped design a cabinet smoker and a customer built 2 of them which I have cooked on at least 25 times. They are the bomb because they perform like an oven, and the flavor is wonderful. We are normally cooking for 40 or 50 people, but once or twice we did mega cooks of burgers and brats. So, I'd love to have one at home. My vote is a solid YES, go for it. The Red Box looks cool, but if there is a chance you might outgrow it, look at some of the Backwoods models.

rNerpg0.jpg

3tchQ9m.jpg

I have seen those smokers up close last several years at our local BBQ Comp. That little smoker was on some comp teams. Portable, inexpensive, and worked well.

I bought one of those as soon as they came out. Even had a cart built for it. Made a raised charcoal basket that helped a lot. Also took out the water pan and replaced it with a flat piece of steel.
dcf3d1a3b98683ac83f5872ecef1af00.jpg
c5310e9d41c271f62ba168ac17bfafbe.jpg
0e51602f97a71b303e355f059e360a1d.jpg
1abed608aab1af181f45a29267622f67.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I bought one and I used it three times and then sold it. It's not that I didn't like the cooker as it is built well. Sturdy and heavy for sure. I just expected a stronger smoke profile. That's just me though. It's a very easy cooker to operate although a long cook isn't happening unless you reload the charcoal tray sometime through the cook or modify the tray like PJ did. It's a stout little cooker for sure and should do short ribs or baby backs just fine. Good luck.

I bought one and I used it three times and then sold it. It's not that I didn't like the cooker as it is built well. Sturdy and heavy for sure. I just expected a stronger smoke profile. That's just me though. It's a very easy cooker to operate although a long cook isn't happening unless you reload the charcoal tray sometime through the cook or modify the tray like PJ did. It's a stout little cooker for sure and should do short ribs or baby backs just fine. Good luck.
Yeah the basket mod is almost necessary to cook long enough. Add more wood or stronger wood to get more flavor.

PJTexas, just curious - how many hours can you get using your modified charcoal basket? Thanks.

PJTexas, just curious - how many hours can you get using your modified charcoal basket? Thanks.
7-8 hours but I could probably go longer. I stack the charcoal really thin towards the end of the snake so temps don't climb out of control.

I always wanted to add a ball valve but never did. Probably because I don't use it very often. Still gotta sell at least 5 more cookers.

Can you cook a brisket in the smoker? It looks really small
The racks are 11x12 so it would have to be a small brisket. I did a 6 pound brisket once. Anything much bigger would not fit unless separated. Here's a pic of the brisket in a half pan. Maybe draping over a bowl would help.
9a45840c3fccd2f7b0ff4852582212db.jpg
e86fba8ffa5390a0dce7cfb2ebec3521.jpg

How I setup my charcoal maze. Once hot this little thing doesn't need much to hold temp. That's the old Stubb's charcoal and it is the smallest charcoal I've ever seen. I only use it in the Red Box and still have a few bags left.
43d7d798e344406566942e553db266f0.jpg

Thanks! I've got some expanded metal I think I can use to make this. I confirmed that it comes with the firebox insert, so that will help as well. I also ordered the dry heat diffuser ($15) to use with hot and fast cooks, but I'll have to find some metal to replace the water pan on the low and slow cooks.

I built a mini WSM about 2 years ago and have had plenty of fun with it. I considered moving to a Red Box because I now own a 26x50 insulated cabinet and enjoy it.

However, after a lot of discussion with others, decided that the RBS wasn't worth it. 2 factors mainly:

1. The mini WSM can hit 400 with ease, whereas 400 is asking for serious trouble on the RBS
2. The switch when already owning a mini smoker just isnt worth it

That being said, if you're starting with NO mini smoker, it's certainly a great option. Also helps when you are a 20min drive away from picking it up without any shipping costs.

Back