100 Hour Extreme Sous Vide Chuckies

MisterChrister

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I wanted to magically transform a couple grassfed Hereford chuck roasts from the in-laws farm into something even more special. I seared them in the big ol' Griswold cast iron skillet with a little powdered beef base to get some extra caramelizing. De-boned to keep from poking the bag, then seasoned with Mt. Evans Butcher's Rub from Savory Spice Shop online (AWESOME stuff, along with their Cantanzaro Herb blend and Bohemian Forest blend). When doing SV for extended periods like this, go EXTREMELY light on, or even forego the salt; it will give your meat an extremely firm "cured" texture. Bagged up and into the sous vide bath for a little over 4 days at 130 degrees. I can't begin to describe how incredibly tender and juicy this meat was. Akin to a very high-end prime rib, with exponentially more flavor. Well worth the wait!

Sliced up, and made a board sauce with the bag juices, EVOO, fresh rosemary and thyme, along with coarse black pepper and Maldon Sea Salt Flakes. Onto some nice rolls with smoked aged cheddar and homemade horseradish mayo. Washed down with a tasty local treat. This didn't suck! Thanks for looking!

7wxXTzWl.jpg

Z7RiyZgl.jpg

XszRX9Yl.jpg

wwxmsl2l.jpg

yS99GqQl.jpg

JkWsQV2l.jpg

May have to try something similar.

How was the texture of the meat? Did it get "mushy" after that long in the bath?

May have to try something similar.

How was the texture of the meat? Did it get "mushy" after that long in the bath?

Not at all. I did use a LITTLE kosher salt in the bag; maybe that helped counter with some firmness?

Looks and sounds amazing, Chris! Not sure if I'd have the patience. lol Bet it was fantastic!!

Back