MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:58 PM   #31
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
My minimum is one main meat, ribs, chicken, pork butt, brisket, sausage, turkey, or even a meatloaf. The cooking is indirect, or raised direct over live fire, and there is some flavor wood in some form added to the coals.
this ^^^^^

Old 07-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #32
Baychilla
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
My work had a barbecue lunch day and by noon I was pretty hungry. I keep forgetting I’m in Georgia now and it seems pulled pork is all they needed to satisfy the barbecue requirement. I was hoping for ribs, sausage, or even brisket (that’s a stretch in GA).

I ended up going to QuikTrip for a slice of pizza.
Something cooked over wood/coal/pellets low/slow in the presence of smoke. Also sides. Sadly because a lot of Q comes from places where everyone is a raging alky until they see someone else of their "faith" booze is optional.
Baychilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 10:01 AM   #33
BillATL
Full Fledged Farker

Moving from SC to GA I've been pretty disappointed with a lot of the barbecue here - especially in Atlanta. A lot of the places here served shredded up pork pre-mixed with a sickly sweet ketchup sauce and declared that, 'BBQ'. Sometimes they had ribs that they baked (or OMG boiled) then tossed on a hot grill to heat them up and caramelize some of that same sickly sweet ketchup sauce on them when you ordered. Thankfully this seems to be changing as people are starting to demand better quality from all of their restaurants.

Growing up, barbecue was almost always chopped pork - either whole hog, butts or a mix of butts and shoulders. Some places had ribs, some places sold sliced bbq sandwiches, sides varied - but if you called yourself a bbq restaurant you sold chopped pork.

We always made the distinction of grilled vs barbecue - barbecue was smoked low and slow. Now that I've been exposed to a lot of different traditions I like most any of them if they're done well but I still tend to think of barbecue as big hunks of meat that are smoked - but I'll happily eat some bulgogi seared over a fire at my table and not argue if you want to call it Korean BBQ.
BillATL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #34
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillATL View Post
but I'll happily eat some bulgogi seared over a fire at my table and not argue if you want to call it Korean BBQ.
Mmmmm bulgogi, so glad I have HMart near

Old 07-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #35
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Well if its based on how I grew up... My dad use to turn burgers to charcoal on a gasser. A cheap gasser. Clearly I am thankful for being re-educated.

I didn't grow up with barbecue. I don't have any tradition that I grew up with.
Pennsylvania, especially western pa, is not a traditional barbecue area. That being said it is catching on. 50 or 60 years from now the north east will have barbecue traditions. This is the infancy imo of barbecue in the North East.

I figure bbq is smoked food. Hot and fast or low and slow with a rub on it. Sauce is optional.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #36
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

BBQ in the south is pulled pork. That's what they served and what I would've expected. That said, I've lived in many different places and have low expectations and standards, especially when it comes to work food. Most of the places I've worked, bbq meant hot dogs on the grill, not even hamburgers.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #37
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I grew up in a very plain jane place for food: the northwest. German food was as ethnic as it ever got. No spice, no heat, and not a lot of outdoor cooking outside of burgers and hot dogs. I've since lived all over the country and traveled all over the world : eating as I journeyed. Its helped open my eyes to great foods and cooking methods.

Cooking = food + heat + time. BBQ is a form of cooking, so each of those elements is what gets varied for the individual dishes. If you play music and throw in a steel guitar, its probably country. If you cook meat, and use smoke and wood, its probably BBQ.
Yoder YS640 Smoker on an [COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange[/COLOR] Competition Cart | Large BGE | Thermopro TP20 Dual Probe [COLOR=darkorange](Orange) [/COLOR] | Thermapen MK4 (in[COLOR=darkorange] ORANGE[/COLOR], what else?) |
Bucknekked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 11:14 AM   #38
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Anything above or below the McRib

Old 07-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #39
BigThicket
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Meat + Smoke

So it goes - Vonnegut
BigThicket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 11:51 AM   #40
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillATL View Post
Moving from SC to GA I've been pretty disappointed with a lot of the barbecue here - especially in Atlanta. A lot of the places here served shredded up pork pre-mixed with a sickly sweet ketchup sauce and declared that, 'BBQ'. Sometimes they had ribs that they baked (or OMG boiled) then tossed on a hot grill to heat them up and caramelize some of that same sickly sweet ketchup sauce on them when you ordered. Thankfully this seems to be changing as people are starting to demand better quality from all of their restaurants.

Growing up, barbecue was almost always chopped pork - either whole hog, butts or a mix of butts and shoulders. Some places had ribs, some places sold sliced bbq sandwiches, sides varied - but if you called yourself a bbq restaurant you sold chopped pork.

We always made the distinction of grilled vs barbecue - barbecue was smoked low and slow. Now that I've been exposed to a lot of different traditions I like most any of them if they're done well but I still tend to think of barbecue as big hunks of meat that are smoked - but I'll happily eat some bulgogi seared over a fire at my table and not argue if you want to call it Korean BBQ.
Well, you just had the good karma to be born in SC! ;-)

Imagine growing up in CT!

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #41
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

When I was young, if it was cooked over charcoal outside on something that looked like a Weber, it was called BBQ'ing. I'm happy to have had further education on the subject, although for the time it was usually pretty good eatin'

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #42
kingjman
Full Fledged Farker

Our local flunky sports station was ranting about this, and how regional the definition is....their stance was, anything off the grill is BBQ.

Not sure where my line is....but I've never considered dogs, brats, or burgers BBQ.
I've heard the phrase "we're having a BBQ" when it's really just a beer party.

At least we're not debating the spelling of barbeque.
kingjman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 03:50 PM   #43
mjpmap
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Michael Symon explained it pretty well on his show one afternoon. His take is the BBQ is a method of cooking, not the name of a food. He defined it as cooking over live coals, and was emphatic that sauce does not make something a BBQ. As I recall, he referred to gassers & electrics as grilling rather than BBQ. I believe that the term BBQ actually is the Americanization of term Barbacoa.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #44
SlickRockStones
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Gary

I’m with Pitbossjb in that anything cooked outside over charcoal be deemed BBQ. As a kid, our next door neighbor used to make grills out of beer kegs with rotisseries and mounted on grocery cart frames. He sold them on the side but Dad used a cast iron hibachi with a stainless grate for hamburgers, kebabs and top sirloin steaks that were cross hatched, doused in Worcestershire, grilled then slathered with Kraft! After the sirloin was all sliced up and served up, he got the steak juice and lambasted his baked potato. So to me, anything that’s got that smell I remember from those days is BBQ!
SlickRockStones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 07:05 PM   #45
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

That is a very loaded question BUT I dont really consider there to be a minimum. I guess some hotdogs or sausages with some beans would be the very least we have done at home to call BBQ. But I know plenty of people who mean dogs and burgers when they say BBQ and over-the-top Q would be chicken.