• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bark on a BGE

Twisted Martini

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've done a few smokes now on my BGE and it seems like I can't get the bark as dark as I used to on my ECB. I'm usually smoking between 225-275, done both hot n fast and low n slow. For rub I have been using Mike Mills Magic Dust recipe, with GFS lump and hickory and applewood. Any suggestions?

Add some sugar in your rub. And let it liquify before putting it on the cooker.

try rubbing down with plain yellow mustard and add sugar in the raw/turbinado sugar. (same as earlier suggestions actually)

2b4b7708.jpg

I use Mike Mill's Magic Dust recipe too, but Ive always gotten excellent bark. I slather on some mustard, a heavy sprinkle of rub and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

i use a rub I buy that may have a bit of sugar but haven't had a problem getting bark - cook 250-270 on dome temp... I don't use mustard either....:wink:

Attachments

• pork shoulder after 18 hrs on BGE.jpg
    pork shoulder after 18 hrs on BGE.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 141
what meat are you cooking? I dont use mustard anymore and get great bark on ribs, butts, and brisket. What temp are you cooking at? I assume you are using the platesetter? You are not using a water pan in there are you?

I slather a mixture of honey and mustard on my pork butt before applying the rub (turbinado or demerra sugar and white sugar are the predominant ingredients).

x2_2024459

sounds like the common thread here is adding sugar in some form. with honey, i don't think you'd need mustard, but the mustard seems to make the rub stay on the meat more. i rub it in real good and then throw another coat on it and don't rub that in. i always add the turbinado sugar on after the second application of the rub and i use a good bit. heavy handed so to speak.

Never use mustard but I let my rub melt into the meat. Makes good bark.

I find deep bark formation forms late in the cook. My butt and brisket cooks go 11-13 hours. Not sure about what sugars, mustard and rubs do, but if you keep opening the dome, that can impeade bark formation. If you foil with liquid late in the cook, it can strip away bark. Fat layers on the meat surface can also play with bark development. On the egg, best to put fat cap down, on the bottom. Don't have meats touching. Meats over other meats can limit bark development on lower meats as top meats drip. Bury wood chunks in the lump and add one chunk right on the lump burn when loading the meat. Use chunks not chips. How you load the egg can impact bark formation, light vs heavy load, as it plays with air circulation around the meat. Need to do these cooks indirect. The pic below was one of my first cooks on the xl egg.

xldoublegridbutts.png

has anyone recommended fat side down instead of fat side up? that helps as well.

agreed..I have tried it both ways on my primo and prefer fat side down for butts and briskets

Back