MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Default High Heat Brisket Help Needed Please...

Can anyone help a brother out? I put on a brisket flat (my first) on my drum this morning at 8:30am. Drum was running around 300-325* since I was going to try the high heat method. Well after about 2.5 hours the brisket had reached a temp of about 170* so I wrapped in a foil pan with some beef broth. The internal temp of the brisket is now showing 205* after only being on for 3.5 hours. Is this normal? Should I pull the brisket and hold it in a cooler? Please I need some help. Thanks everyone.
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Don't worry about the internal temp but if you can put the probe in it and it feels like "butta" pull it out. Works everytime!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks Rich. I just went and probed it and most of it was tender but there were still some parts that still gave resistance. I'm going to leave it on for another hour and check again.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron
Default Re: High Heat Brisket Help Needed Please...

As Rich suggested, probe it in a few places to make sure your probe isn't in a fat seam. If it feels tender all over then cooler it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
As Rich suggested, probe it in a few places to make sure your probe isn't in a fat seam. If it feels tender all over then cooler it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For clarification purposes, Rich was emphasizing probing to check for tenderness. This has nothing to do with temp readings, as it's hard to go by temps when briskets are covered in foil and cooked at high temps.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #6
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
For clarification purposes, Rich was emphasizing probing to check for tenderness. This has nothing to do with temp readings, as it's hard to go by temps when briskets are covered in foil and cooked at high temps.
I'm confused by your quoting me with this response. I was also talking about probing for tenderness. Maybe I wasn't clear?

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

I understood.....I have probed for tenderness and it feels like butter throughout most of the brisket. I just pulled it off and put it in a cooler with towels to rest for an hour or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out good. It sure smells good! I'll post pics later on.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #8
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
I understood.....I have probed for tenderness and it feels like butter throughout most of the brisket. I just pulled it off and put it in a cooler with towels to rest for an hour or so. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it turns out good. It sure smells good! I'll post pics later on.
It's going to be great! It sounds like you did everything right. What did you use for a rub?

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
Nice!

Let us know how it turned out.

Tags
beef, brisket, high heat