DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Since Pasilla peppers were on sale and there is a “Chiles!” Throwdown going on I just had to make Chile Rellenos. I’ve made these before and posted the recipe and method so I’ll keep this a little short and just post some links to the recipes for those that care about that.

Rellenos:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184942

Rice:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223944&highlight=Mexican+rice

First on I made the relleno sauce. Here are the ingredients.

I roasted the all veggies

and then put them in a large blender

and gave it a spin.

After this I made up some Mexican rice. Ingredients:

Sautéed the veggies and then added the rice for 5 minutes and put this in the rice cooker with the liquids.

Here are the ingredients for the Chile Rellenos.

I roasted the chiles

and put them in a plastic bag to steam for 15 minutes.

I then then skinned them, sliced them and seeded them.

I stuffed them with the Queso Oaxaca, dredged them in flour, dipped them in the beaten egg mixture and the fried them up on both side for 3 minutes.

While I was cooking the rellenos my wife cooked up some frijoles. Here it is everything plated up with some tortilla chips, some pickled carrots and a Coronado Brewing Sting Ray IPA.

Muy Delicioso

Thanks for looking.

Great looking cook and really nice plate up of the final product!

Off the charts, Jeff! I like the fire roasted salsa you used as well - much better IMO than than the ranchera salsa they are traditionally served with.

Man that is an outstanding effort and the plate shot is to die for!!!!
Thank you Jesse.
Off the charts, Jeff! I like the fire roasted salsa you used as well - much better IMO than than the ranchera salsa they are traditionally served with.
Thank you Moose. I find the fire roasted stuff to really go well with them. IMHO Ranchero Sauce would would give them a enchilada flavor and not a relleno flavor. (Assuming it's the Ranchero Sauce I'm thinking about)

Good Lawd!

I'm curious if your changing in cheeses for stuffing the peppers has made a big difference in flavors and texture. My guess is a resounding, "Yes" (but, for comparison, I have no idea what my local hispanic grocery uses in their own rellenos that I love so much).

I've come to love a really good relleno and frijoles burrito with some fresh salsa. It seems to be the perfect combo of savoury, filler (frijoles), and fresh/spicy (salsa).

Appreciate you sharing the recipes and techniques with us. I'd love to try my hand at some of these in the near future.

Back