• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Honey Sriracha Glazed Tofu Planwich w/ Apple Slaw and Corn with Sriracha Mayo

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was challenged to cook up something without meat. It needed to include Tofu, :twitch: Apple, Corn and Sriracha. I must admit I’ve never made tofu and hardly ever eat it. That may change after eating this dish.

I started thinking about what I could make and came up with some ways I could use all these ingredients in in a dish. Sriracha was easy as I use it quite often. Corn? No problem here either. Apples gave me a slight pause but then I thought of using it in a slaw so I was good.

No, tofu was the problem, so I thought about tofu and what it’s like. It’s like a geometrically shaped meat substitute. Kind of like Spam but without actual any meat. So how do I normally use Spam? Well I don’t use it very often but when I do it’s normally in a sandwich. A tofu sandwich didn’t sound like a winner but then I remembered seeing something on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives where the cook used plantains as the bread which I’m dubbing the “Planwich”.

Plantains instead of bread. Link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/il/chicago/the-jibarito-stop-restaurant.html

Now that was the ticket and I also decided to use Sriracha in all 3 dishes. The first thing I did was prepare the tofu.

Now I don’t know much about tofu but I do know that you need to get the moisture out of it so it can soak up whatever seasoning / marinate your using on it. I drained the liquid off and then sliced it up.

Next I placed the slices on a double layer of paper towels

and covered with another layer.

I then placed a 9 x 13 pan on top and pressed down to push more of the liquid out. (Note: I did this twice as the paper towels were completely soaked the first time)

Next I made up a Sriracha Honey Marinade. Here are the ingredients.

Stirred.

I spread out some marinade on a 1/4 sheet, placed on the tofu and then covered each piece with the rest of the marinade.

I covered this with foil and let it take a nice long rest. Next I went about making the bread for my Planwich. I took a plantain

and cut the ends off and peeled it.

I cut it in 2 and fried them in some preheated oil.

I then placed them on a plate with some paper towels to cool. I then took them and smashed them with a large smooth bottom pan.

and then fried each one again. (Like a tostones)

I then placed each one on a plate with some paper towels to cool.

I then made up my Mexican Slaw using the apple in lieu of the jicama. (Link to recipe: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=206465)

Apple cut and cored

and then grated.

Everybody in the pool

and then stirred up with some Sriracha Cilantro Lime Creama.

Now I took the tofu out to the grill.

I placed them on my searing grate. (Note: I would have set it up differently but I was going to make pizza afterwards so that was why it’s set up this way. As it turned out, I didn’t have time for the pizza.:cry:)

After approximately 10 minutes it looked like this.

I look it off the grill and on to a plate so I could now glaze them.

I took what was left of the marinade and added some more honey, Sriracha and ponzu sauce and pour it onto a hot griddle and let it start to caramelize.

Placed all the tofu pieces in the sauce and let it cook for 1 minute.

I flipped them and repeated for another minute and here is what they looked like.

I sliced up some tomato and red onion

and made up some Sriracha mayo.

I took one of the plantain slices and spread on the mayo

and placed on the tofu

and then the tomato, onion and some lettuce.

And finally I made up the Mexican Street Corn (Esquites) with Sriracha Mayo (Using Sriracha instead of Chipotle)

Here’s a YouTube video of a street cart vendor serving some up.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z8YvggQ-Us"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z8YvggQ-Us[/ame]

Here’s my corn.

I took 3 ears like this and cut off the kernels.

I added 3 tbsp. of butter and 1/2 cup of finely chopped cilantro and stirred.

As my 90 year old MIL was also eating this I took my serving and mixed in the balance of the Sriracha mayo that I had made up. (No Sriracha for her)

Here is everything plated up with a Negro Modelo.

This did not suck! In fact it was absolutely delicious and I would definitely make this again.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for looking.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Nice job DerHusker

Being a tofu fan I can more than understand how good that is. Now, is there any way I/we can have the recipe for the slaw? That looks killer. Thanks. Jon

This is a box [], and this is you :). WAY outside of the box thinking! Nice work!
Thank you greenmountain. They let me out every once in a while.
5be854bd500b0e4421fb6255817f8ec8.jpg

I'm kinda slow unless everything is spelled out for me. What is in that AWESOME looking corn besides the cilantro and butter??
Thank you Dan. After I mixed in the butter, cilantro and Sriracha mayo I put it in the serving dish. I then topped it with some queso fresco, cayenne pepper and a little more cilantro.

Back