Grilled Napolitos Fajitas

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Yesterday was "Meatless Monday" at out house. [FONT=&quot]I thought long and hard about what I could make that would be tasty. Italian? India? Thai? I finally settled on my favorite cuisine, Mexican. Now Mexican food isn’t generally thought of when you mention veggies but if you think about it a little, it could be. (Lots of onion, tomatoes, peppers, beans, etc.) I wanted to make everything as “Veggie” as I could so I settled on some Veggie Fajitas. I was going to use eggplant as a meat substitute but then eggplant isn’t very Mexican is it? So, I rethought that and came up with Napolitas. (Thanks to a post from Tonybel) Yeah that’s the ticket.

Here’s a Youtube video about Napolitas.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot][ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGzvJbDI404"]Nopalitos and Prickly Pear Cactus Traditional Food and Harvesting - YouTube[/ame][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I started out by making some Mexican rice. (Which has plenty of veggies in it) Here are the ingredients for that.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]See this link for the full recipe.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3452882#post3452882[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I then made up some flour tortillas. See this link for the full recipe / post.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223937[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
I then cut up the onions, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]bell peppers [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and some zucchini and yellow squash. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]For the fajitas marinade. I cut up 3 limes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and squeezed them into a bowl. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I added 1/4 cup of OO and 1 tablespoon of chipotle chili powder and 1 teaspoon of cumin and stirred.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I then place all these veggies in a gallon zip lock and poured the marinade over them and let them rest for a while.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then I prepped my Napolitas. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My wife wanted to spread then out this way.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I smeared on a little oil and then sprinkled on some fajitas seasoning and let them rest a while.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I had made up some Pico de Gallo on Sunday.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I used that to make up some Guacamole. (A couple of stones left in to keep it from turning brown)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I got the kamado going and took out the napolitas.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I put on most of the napolitas along with a couple of Mexican green onions and yellow peppers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When the napolitas was close to being done I dumped in my veggie bag with all the marinade into my very hot 12” CI skillet. This is to start the cooking process.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I had pulled out as much of the squash out as I could and put it on the grill.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I took the napolitas in and cut them up but forgot to get a pic of it. I now set up my fajitas bar with some black beans, rice, guacamole and Mexican creama. I had got my Fajitas Platter very hot and loaded it up with the pepper and onions, napolitas and the squash. Here is that photo.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Close up of the napolitas.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]And here are some napolitas fajitas tacos plated up.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Napolitas are not meat but are very tasty and this was a very delicious meatless meal.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for looking.[/FONT]

that looks good...i'm right down the road bro if you have left overs

Looks great.

A local taqueria(now closed) used to make a burrito with sauteed strips of nopales, cotija cheese, black beans and rice. Tomatillo salsa IIRC.

Back