MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #16
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

This may be a noob question, but I'm a noob. How thick do you slice your brisket?
Big Ace is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ace View Post
This may be a noob question, but I'm a noob. How thick do you slice your brisket?
For comps you try to get them about 1/4 " but thats if its cooked to the correct amount of doneness
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
I only turn in burnt if they are as good or better than the slices
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
I tend to look at burnt ends the same way I look at the money muscle in pork. Sure, you don't have to turn it in, but why wouldn't you so long as you cooked it correctly?
The key here is if the burnt ends and / or pulled briskie is as good or better than the slices. You might not believe how many entries have lost points because one of the samples took away from the total. If it's in the box I'm going to judge it "as presented" by the cook. That being said, a good burnt end is going to help your score for sure .
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #19
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
The key here is if the burnt ends and / or pulled briskie is as good or better than the slices. You might not believe how many entries have lost points because one of the samples took away from the total. If it's in the box I'm going to judge it "as presented" by the cook. That being said, a good burnt end is going to help your score for sure .

That's good advice. thanks rook. Also, I'm assuming it depends on the region as to whether or not to sauce up your turn ins or keeps em meaty, this goes for all catagories??

Old 09-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #20
Zombie Barbecue
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayHill View Post
Aint that the truth.......and when you do find it(or think you find it) it turns out to be a box labeled pecan but is really full of oak. Needless to say I dont buy/try wood in a 40 lb box from Lancaster Co. PA anymore.
We drove all the way to elizabeth, NJ to score some Pecan, there is NOBODY around here that carries any other wood other than Hickory or Mesquite., every now and again you can find some apple but hell! . this dude in Jersey had some pear wood as well which Im interested in trying.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Barbecue View Post
That's good advice. thanks rook. Also, I'm assuming it depends on the region as to whether or not to sauce up your turn ins or keeps em meaty, this goes for all catagories??
I sauce all 4 categories. A-1 mixed with aujus on brisket for me.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ace View Post
a good viusal is the thickness of a pencil , thats what they tought at the judges class.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisket, Competition