MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #16
kfdvm
Full Fledged Farker

I would pass.
kfdvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-2018, 11:37 PM   #17
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Nope nope nope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-17-2018, 05:03 AM   #18
ChrisL
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorbrewer View Post
It seems to be modeled after the Franklin/Moberg Texas style traditional offsets...and priced nearly as much.
Yes, I agree, the grate-level exhaust is a good indicator.

If a new Lang is $4000, I would say that one is worth $1500 to $2000. Anything that is custom built has poor resale value if that is a consideration.

Chris
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #19
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

I would want something that big on a trailer personally. In a restaurant, not needed though.

You can build a new one from a lesser-known fabricator for less money. The only other factor is transportation costs.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:18 PM   #20
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

The firebox looks pretty small for a 500 gallon tank. I would never spend $4,500 on a backyard builder with no feedback or reputation.
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 05:56 PM   #21
Kmm
On the road to being a farker

He can "ask" any price he wants to....you can offer any price you wish. I helped a young neighbor build a 250 gallon reverse flow for a 4-H project. His dad found a freebie lp tank, a freebie section of 24"x 30" section of pipe for the fire box, plate, angle and tube drops from salvage yards. I also used scraps and drops from my place as well.

Not counting anything for equipment and freebies, the steel steel drops, cutting wheels, cutting wheels, welding rod/wire, gas, grinding supplies, paint, etc all amounted to over $1200.00 out of pocket.

If you are interested, ask him to let you see it do a full cook. If it is a good as advertised, consider your available time, build capabilities (skill, tools, facilities, etc), material resources, and liquid $$$ reserves. Then make him an offer. My guess is that a comp build will still run in the $1500-3000 range...building from scratch. I realize that is a pretty wide spread, but with out knowing how thick the steel is it is pretty hard to be specific.
Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #22
chichas01
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Chichas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
Looks high to me, fellow Idahoan... and its in Kettle Falls.
Howdy Steve! I'm in CDA. Yeah, I think I'll look at building my own. Just need to find an old 500 gal propane tank.
chichas01 is offline   Reply With Quote