Need some help with an idea.

R

racer-xxx

As Ive posted already.
Ive got a free boat trailer and a 250 gallon drum.
My idea.
Anybody ever built a trailer smoker that didnt have an external fire box?
This drum has enough room to have the fire and smoke box in the drum.
Basically a big smoker that has no external fire box.

I would probably cut the tank part off that I was going to use as the firebox, and lower it. Heat rises so...

Will it work, probably, heat is heat, however, I don't think a design like that would be efficient.

Jeff

Jeff

Yeah Id have to see your design ideas, because with any larger pit your gonna need to be fussing with a your heat source unless its something like electic or gas. But assuming you want to burn natural woods it will become a pain and most likely very in efficient in any design structure.

Unless, now that im brainstorming, you keep your fire in the bottom (accessed through a side or front door) and create a reverse flow effect or some kind of deflector/diffuser that prevents direct heat from going to the meat. Only problem is controlling lower temps when all the energy of your fire is contained in the tank you also are cooking in.

My random paint on the spot idea that first comes to mind would be something like this:
Smoker.jpg

Assuming your reffering to a 250 gal oil drum which are tall like this, not a long cylindrical tank. Either way thanks for letting me ammuse myself and good luck:thumb:

Back