My first rib roast cook is underway.

WilliamKY

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I decided to go with Dr. BBQ Ray Lampe's "Herb Up Prime Rib" recipe. Using my Weber 26 and vortex. I will post update when finished.

Attachments

• 20190111_180921.jpg
    20190111_180921.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 295
  • 20190113_145946.jpg
    20190113_145946.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 20190113_152518.jpg
    20190113_152518.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 20190113_153422.jpg
    20190113_153422.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 292
Amazing deal. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Is that butter slathered over the fat cap?

Amazing deal. Can’t wait to see how it turns out. Is that butter slathered over the fat cap?
Yes it's salted butter with basil, tarragon, rosemary, and thyme. The meat is plugged with garlic cloves also.

I always looked over rib roast because of the price but I'm a believer that you get what you pay for. Holy Moly was this good. I'm actually kind of upset that I hadn't done one before today. I've been cheating myself. I have another in the freezer and going to do Malcolm Reed's hickory smoked prime rib recipe in the future. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 20190113_183704.jpg
    20190113_183704.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 235
That looks like magic! I have plugged garlic cloves as well and it is an amazing result. Nice cook!!

Looks like you nailed it. I use a prime rib rub out of one of Ray Lampe's books that is really good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow! Look incredible. Did my first one a few years back and we always look for them on sale and freeze them. Try this sauce with it:
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish in vinegar
2 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 pinches ground white pepper
About the horseradish. If you grow your own, dig out a root or three, wash it well, peel it, grate it fine with a box grater, and mix in distilled white vinegar enough to make it slushy. Add a pinch or three of salt, and let it age in the fridge for a few hours to activate all the flavors.
About the sour cream. You can substitute creme fraiche, heavy cream, or mayo for part of the sour cream.
About the white pepper. The sauce looks prettier without black flecks, so that's why I recommend white pepper, but if you don't have it, black pepper works great.
Optional mix-ins. Roast garlic. For serving with fish, add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill. For serving with beef add 4 tablespoons chopped chives or green onions.
Method
1) If you have raw horseradish root, wash it thoroughly and with a peeler, scrape it until only milky while shows. Then grate it fine or beat the heck out of it in a processor or blender. Add just enough distilled white vinegar to make it slushy and spreadable, and then a pinch of salt to taste. I've tried it with other vinegars and the results are very good, but not as versatile. Let it age a few hours to reach a full gallop.
2) Mix all the ingredients and taste. Add more of whatever you want. Try to refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow them to mingle properly.

Wow! Look incredible. Did my first one a few years back and we always look for them on sale and freeze them. Try this sauce with it:
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish in vinegar
2 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 pinches ground white pepper
About the horseradish. If you grow your own, dig out a root or three, wash it well, peel it, grate it fine with a box grater, and mix in distilled white vinegar enough to make it slushy. Add a pinch or three of salt, and let it age in the fridge for a few hours to activate all the flavors.
About the sour cream. You can substitute creme fraiche, heavy cream, or mayo for part of the sour cream.
About the white pepper. The sauce looks prettier without black flecks, so that's why I recommend white pepper, but if you don't have it, black pepper works great.
Optional mix-ins. Roast garlic. For serving with fish, add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill. For serving with beef add 4 tablespoons chopped chives or green onions.
Method
1) If you have raw horseradish root, wash it thoroughly and with a peeler, scrape it until only milky while shows. Then grate it fine or beat the heck out of it in a processor or blender. Add just enough distilled white vinegar to make it slushy and spreadable, and then a pinch of salt to taste. I've tried it with other vinegars and the results are very good, but not as versatile. Let it age a few hours to reach a full gallop.
2) Mix all the ingredients and taste. Add more of whatever you want. Try to refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow them to mingle properly.

Is that the amazingribs.com recipe? Sounds like Meatheads writing style. If so I also highly approve. This stuff is great.

Did one at Christmas and it’s definitely a treat. Makes great leftovers too!

b88iOVO.jpg

m9XKVDd.jpg

Why aluminum wrap on the bones? Does it serve a purpose other than aesthetics when it is presented?

Why aluminum wrap on the bones? Does it serve a purpose other than aesthetics when it is presented?

It was just to keep them from getting burned. Next time I’m going to cut the bones off and smoke them, then do reverse sear on the meat.

Also, sorry the pics are so big. Trying to figure out how to make them smaller on iPhone X

Back