MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
pharp
Banned

Default 28" Blackstone Walmart Black Friday Special

Did anyone else get one of these for Christmas? I got it assembled and seasoned, but thus far I cant get the ignitor to work. There was nothing in the directions about it and all of the information on line talks about putting batter behind the button, but mine does not have one. It seems unlikely that both ignitors (one on each burner) would be faulty out of the box. Not that big a deal as I have just been using a lighter but if it is something I am doing wrong I would like to correct it.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Make sure the ignitor wire isn't touching anything. It needs space to create a spark.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-13-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Not sure about the 28 but my 36 does use a AA battery for the igniter.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Not sure about the 28 but my 36 does use a AA battery for the igniter.
This one has no igniter button, just two knobs (one for each burner).

Old 01-13-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
jafo28
On the road to being a farker

The igniter wire might need adjustment. Mine did, on this one, and my 17", same igniter style. Like pjtexas1 said, it can't be touching, but it needs to be close enough for the spark to jump.

Another trick that has helped me is to turn the knob and listen for the gas to flow for a couple of seconds, then continue till the igniter pops.
jafo28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Are you sure you don't have the 22"? The 28" I have seen, have the electric igniter. On the 22", try turning the first knob on high for a second, then lighting with the second knob.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure you don't have the 22"? The 28" I have seen, have the electric igniter. On the 22", try turning the first knob on high for a second, then lighting with the second knob.
Yep its a 28". I think it was probably one made just for Walmart.
https://slickdeals.net/f/12222883-wa...ion-for-118-00

Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
pharp
Banned

Thanks for all the help. The ignition wires were both twisted upwards. I gently twisted them downward closer to the burner and it lit right up. Thanks again.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #9
jafo28
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

The Walmart special has a few differences than the normal 28". No electric igniter, no bottom shelf, and no wheels. I picked mine up last week for $118, the standard 28" sells for $179.
jafo28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
dward51
Full Fledged Farker

Looking at that photo it's different from the prior 28" models. The older one had an igniter button on the left side of the front of the unit.

Does it have a Piezoelectric igniter? When you turn it to the light position, is there a slight resistance in the turning of the knob and a sort of clunk sound as it makes the last bit of the turn? If so it probably has a piezoelectric igniter. No batteries for that, but there should be small stiff shiny wires near but not touching the burner elements. If you take the top griddle off and turn the gas knob all the way to the ignite position, you should see a quick blue spark from the wire to the burner tube (assuming it has a piezoelectric igniter). If the wire is touching the burner element or too far away, it will not spark. Gently bend it for a slight air gap and see if that works.

I have the old style 28" and mine has a battery igniter.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #11
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
Looking at that photo it's different from the prior 28" models. The older one had an igniter button on the left side of the front of the unit.

Does it have a Piezoelectric igniter? When you turn it to the light position, is there a slight resistance in the turning of the knob and a sort of clunk sound as it makes the last bit of the turn? If so it probably has a piezoelectric igniter. No batteries for that, but there should be small stiff shiny wires near but not touching the burner elements. If you take the top griddle off and turn the gas knob all the way to the ignite position, you should see a quick blue spark from the wire to the burner tube (assuming it has a piezoelectric igniter). If the wire is touching the burner element or too far away, it will not spark. Gently bend it for a slight air gap and see if that works.

I have the old style 28" and mine has a battery igniter.
Thanks. I don't think you have an old one, I think I just got a less expensive version they made to sell at a lower price point. Bending the igniter wire solved the problem!