• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Red box smoker deal

I saw one of these for the first time a few months ago. Honest to God, Mark Lambert himself gave me the tour of the cooker in person, and I ate some food off of it. It's a very interesting cooker. I will consider one someday when the kids are gone and I'm cooking for just the wife and me.

This thing is very small. But, at the same time, it does have a uniqueness to it. Mark is a great dude and proud of his products; deservingly so. Thumbs up if you are looking to buy. Just make sure you check the dimensions before you buy.

I have had mine since they launched. Fun little cooker. It'll hold more food than you would think.
89a8f8a0b068d21b50b632dd78e0a5dd.jpg
efdb1e2fe09d1dfe4daeb4930f2cdef7.jpg
4af3c2aa307c6dd521a6e44f8e94b910.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I would think with three racks it could hold quite a bit, and should be pretty miserly with fuel. Tempting at that price. How is the seal?

I have had mine since they launched. Fun little cooker. It'll hold more food than you would think.
89a8f8a0b068d21b50b632dd78e0a5dd.jpg
efdb1e2fe09d1dfe4daeb4930f2cdef7.jpg
4af3c2aa307c6dd521a6e44f8e94b910.jpg

You sir, have quite the collection of cookers.

I would think with three racks it could hold quite a bit, and should be pretty miserly with fuel. Tempting at that price. How is the seal?
With the charcoal basket and maze i made i can run 8 hours on 25-30 pieces of charcoal. And that's the original kcomp that is really small. Once that little cook chamber is hot it doesn't take much to keep it there. There are no air leaks.
85990beba78d0d8dd345525f57cac97b.jpg

Paul,

One of my sons is thinking about buying one. What temps have you been able to achieve?

Paul,

One of my sons is thinking about buying one. What temps have you been able to achieve?
I cook at 300-325 easily. I loaded too much charcoal once and around 375 the firebox door gasket started to melt and i ruined the paint above the fb door.

do you ever use lump? So no problem getting up to temp and letting it run by itself? Water in the water pan?

Last edited:
Man, oh, man... that's tempting at $226 + shipping...

I was eyeballing one of these last year at a higher price. Man o man. It's tough but I'm gonna pass. Bigger insulated cabinet in mind.

Lump? So no problem getting up to temp and letting it run by itself? Water in the water pan?
Like any insulated cabinet it's easier to raise the temp than to lower it. But with it being so small you need water or less fuel towards the end of the maze. I don't recommend lighting in a chimney and dumping in the charcoal basket. That might work better with an un-modified basket. I took out the water pan and replaced it with a flat piece of steel. I can control with a maze and no water. I would try it as is. It might work for you. I just don't like dealing with water.

Edit: never tried lump. Always thought it would run too hot.

Man, oh, man... that's tempting at $226 + shipping...

Not a bad price at all. He was trying to sell them through other stores etc and has decided to sell them direct only. Now about half price. I showed it to my son this evening and he immediately became interested. Perfect size for two to 10 or so people. Apparently PJ likes his pretty well. 75 pounds shipping weight.

Robert

Last edited:
Like any insulated cabinet it's easier to raise the temp than to lower it. But with it being so small you need water or less fuel towards the end of the maze. I don't recommend lighting in a chimney and dumping in the charcoal basket. That might work better with an un-modified basket. I took out the water pan and replaced it with a flat piece of steel. I can control with a maze and no water. I would try it as is. It might work for you. I just don't like dealing with water.

Edit: never tried lump. Always thought it would run too hot.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good little unit. How many wood chunks do you use in a typical run?

Robert

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good little unit. How many wood chunks do you use in a typical run?

Robert
I lay them on top of the charcoal but cut them thinner. Depends on how much smoke you like. I'm guessing 5-6 about 6" long each.

Back